The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    What red dot reticle do you like on an EDC and why do you like it over other options? I’m not really asking about manufacturers and models, but more about red dot reticle types. Small 2moa dot, larger 6moa dot, circle/dot, chevron, green/red, etc…. I’ve never carried a red dot. I only have red dots on range guns. I primarily have holosuns with the circle dot and I like it at the range but I’m thinking the circle dot reticle may be too “busy” for quick defensive purposes. I’ve heard/read that a simple large dot is better for personal defense. I’m curious of y’all’s opinions on this.
    WS beat me to it and agree with him as I also have a 407k & 507k on my short barrel EDCs. Both the 6 MOA dot and the circle dot work well for me. Enough so that I am moving the 507k to my nightstand pistol and have ordered an EPS carry MRS to replace it on my Rami.

I have a Romeo1, 3 MOA dot on my nightstand pistol but really like the bigger dot/circle dot for close quarters better. On a larger pistol that could accommodate it I would also consider the 507comp and leave it on the 8 or even 20 MOA circle only as for most HD distances that will get good solid hits on target. Romeo will now reside on my TX22 competition.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What red dot reticle do you like on an EDC and why do you like it over other options? I’m not really asking about manufacturers and models, but more about red dot reticle types. Small 2moa dot, larger 6moa dot, circle/dot, chevron, green/red, etc…. I’ve never carried a red dot. I only have red dots on range guns. I primarily have holosuns with the circle dot and I like it at the range but I’m thinking the circle dot reticle may be too “busy” for quick defensive purposes. I’ve heard/read that a simple large dot is better for personal defense. I’m curious of y’all’s opinions on this.

I agree with WS and Norm. I don't understand anyone saying the circle/dot combination is too "busy". I relate it as being the same as using an oversized front sight, which is very common for close in defensive purposes (by close in I'd say 10 yards and in). It's not good for bullseye shooting, as the size of the sight makes precision shooting difficult. What it is good for is defensive shooting and excels in acquiring the sight quickly. The circle/dot is the same IMO. You can quickly acquire the larger dot quickly and put shots on target faster than with a smaller dot or front sight. The benefit to the circle/dot to me is, the larger circle is great for close in and you have the dot for more precise shots.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Not a red dot fan, as batteries fail but I own a couple. Older Aimpoints with amazing battery life. I can see the positives for both kinds of dots. Personally, I think the big circle helps me get to the little dot faster. Sometimes the sight picture adjustment to aquire the dot and get it centered up takes me longer than I like. Probably remedied with practice, but that big circle radius gives me an idea which way to go to find little dot.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Good morning fellas!

I'm FREE! I know hospitals are there to help but I really dislike them..

If anyone is interested, Midway has DPPs on sale

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I like the idea and want to test it at some point, but I have no idea when as the last gun I ordered that will need a dot is another P10C OR to be a backup to my current EDC and I want the same dot as is on my main P10C OR, which is a 507C x2.
    Have any issues with lint on the open emitter on a carry gun? I have enough lint in the gun itself that it looks like a dryer vent screen sometimes. I have an OR carry gun all ready to go, but need to get an EPS carry for it (but I just spent my gun fund yesterday).

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Have any issues with lint on the open emitter on a carry gun? I have enough lint in the gun itself that it looks like a dryer vent screen sometimes. I have an OR carry gun all ready to go, but need to get an EPS carry for it (but I just spent my gun fund yesterday).

I've never had any issue with lint or anything else obstructing the dot. The glass has gotten filthy plenty of times but I've always been able to see the dot without any problem.

Didn't know you were in the hospital. Hope you're better now.

Ditto, glad to see you're out and doing well!

Top Bottom