The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    @Leadeye , do yo have any experience with a Taurus c-45? It’s a Colt Lightning copy in .45 Colt. Discontinued about 2010. They retailed for about $750 in 2010.

I've never fired one but you see a lot of negatives about them from the SASS/CAS guys. Feeding issues mostly, and they say the same things about the Ubertis. Only the Pedersoli repros get a passing grade. That said I have a Uberti in 45 Colt and I think most of the feeding issues are with ammo shape. I load 45 Colt for it with a more pointy cast bullet like you would see in 9mm and it feeds perfectly. This might be the solution to the Taurus complaints as most factory 45 Colt stuff is very flat in front. To be fair that pointy nosed 45 Colt does not work in 1873 repros as it's just a little too long.

You really need to take up reloading and casting, saves you money in the long run and can get otherwise cranky guns running smooth.;)

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Less than a new gun, but not cheap...

CZ Custom has threaded barrels for $180. They are currently OOS. Others make them as well.
    I looked into that. Initial thinking was if can pick up a used P-07 with threaded barrel for $450-500, sell mine for $375-400 it would be cheaper overall and not have to hassle with fitting the barrel. P-07 threaded barrels are not common or cheap. I know it is not ‘the way’ but would allow funds for a can sooner. But the more I ponder the appeal of a new gun is calling and with the P10c just need the appropriate adaptor plate so no milling expense.

Sad the P07 is no longer available new with a threaded barrel as I prefer a hammer. But, have a long watchlist on GB!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been working to exterminate the squirrels with some success, I don't think that will work for mice. May have to find another solution as this is the third time I've had to make these same repairs. On the positive side at least I'm getting good experience with small Honda engines.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    For the folks that are out of state, Silencer Shop makes it easier by finding a local shop with a SS Kiosk. Finger prints, photos and info can be entered through the kiosk and app on a cell phone and signed online. Once you're info is in their system, it does not have to be resubmitted for new purchases. Your photo does have to be resubmitted for an additional purchase if the one on file is over 1 year old. That takes a few minutes with the app. Their Single Shot trust is ~$25. you can file as an individual, with your own trust or with a SS Trust.

I ordered a new can a few days ago from home. Updated my photo with the app. They fill out all the paperwork, send you a link to use Docusign to sign the paperwork and they efile it for you. Pay them for the stamp and that is taken care of as well.

Danger, Danger...this makes alcohol induced, midnight impulse buys all too easy.
    That sounds terribly easy....:shoot:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Of course Allen has me thinking about a suppressor to go with this if I go that direction. Never really read much on them as I hadn't been interested in NFA before, but with some of these e-files coming back so quick, I might be.

What are some good qualities to look for in a can? Is user serviceable a thing? What are some recommendations and why for a specific can and what's the ballpark $ on these things?

Anyone running a suppressed Scorpion or the like? I assume these blow back guns run OK with them? Any accessories I have to use to get it to attach /run? Would you get the 4.2" barrel or the 7.8" if you "might" suppress it? I'm generally seeing the 7.8" for less $$$
    Thanks for asking the important questions. I have two Scorpions (not the 3+, the old ones), and want to get cans for them. The Micro SBR needs a can. The carbine, has the fake can on it, but I want to replace that with a real one.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Way behind in here...but @WebSnyper I recommend setting up a trust. It is easy, cheap and covers all the eventualities that life brings forth.

I didn't set up a trust because I was only only going to have one NFA item, and then two and then five and now....well, anyway.....

Now the cost to setup a trust is cost prohibitive.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Most ~147gr subsonic 9mm round go supersonic with an 8.3" barrel. Only Federal Syntech 150 gr ammo stays sub with that barrel.

With a 4.2" barrel, all 9mm subs will stay subsonic.

You will want to suppress it and we enablers will make sure you do, so go with the shorter barrel. See how easy that decision is?
    Pretty much decided on the 4.2" barrel. Now need to find it at a good price (have some leads on that).

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    @Aszerigan makes the suppressor purchase / tax stamp application process almost too easy. While you items are in jail, he will even allow you to make conjugal visits at his range.

I chose to go the Trust route and used Marc Halata to set it up. Again, a process that is almost too easy.

Adding items to the Trust is as simple as updating your Schedule A which lists all the items in the Trust. You cannot add NFA items to this schedule until you have the tax stamp for that item.

My understanding of adding Trustees to the Trust requires amending the Trust, having it signed and notarized, and submitting fingerprints for the new Trustees, then waiting for the all clear before the new Trustees can use the stuff in the Trust. Also, any new items added must include fingerprints for all Trustees. Marc Halata prepares any Trust amendments as part of the cost you pay to him to set up the original Trust.

Successor Trustees can also be added (or removed) by amending the Trust. These people (this person) is responsible for executing the distribution of Trust items upon the death of the Trustee. They do not need to provide fingerprints.

Beneficiaries are the people who the Trustee wants to inherit the stuff in the Trust. Beneficiaries can be added (or removed) by amending the Trust.

The whole idea behind the Trust is that NFA items can be passed down to the beneficiaries without having to pay for another tax stamp. All they need to do is submit fingerprints and wait for the all clear.

Yeah, a whole lot of legal mumbo jumbo just to save some money in the future. Also, time is apparently added to the review process ... @jagee and I submitted paperwork in the same time frame for the same can ... his has been approved and I'm waiting to hear back.
    I spoke to Aszerigan for about 30 minutes and got a lot of questions answered. Briefly spoke to Mark Halata as well after I spoke to Aszerigan. I will definitely go with Aszerigan if/when I decide to go NFA and order a suppressor.

Based on some of the updates to the law, Aszerigan basically indicated (at least as I understand it) that the trust probably isn't worth the hassle these days (at least for me) unless one has transferable machine guns (real wealth items) and that one can do some things with form 5 transfers after an NFA owner passes away to avoid additional tax fees. The folks I'd have in my trust are out of state so I won't be able to easily share items with them or coordinate paperwork real easy)

Mark Halata did mention that there are some ways to create a trust now, populate it with some items and then add folks to minimize some of the paperwork that folks would have to do if you started the trust with everyone and then started adding items one by one.

That said, sounds like the juice may not be worth the squeeze for me currently. As with all things YMMV and it may be right for someone else.

Aszerigan also recommended some specific cans, etc.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Pretty much decided on the 4.2" barrel. Now need to find it at a good price (have some leads on that).
    Got an email from battlehawk and PSA just this morning. PSA was same price and is sold out currently.

ETA PSA now shows in stock. $699 either place

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Got an email from battlehawk and PSA just this morning. PSA was same price and is sold out currently.

Yep, saw the Micro's at Battlehawk. Tried to get Family firearms to match the micro price, but they couldn't get there currently (they did respond really quick)

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

ETA PSA now shows in stock. $699 either place

PSA seems to have them when I looked (they were more for the Micro over the weekend but had the 7.8" for $699 then. That said, it says EVO 3+ micro on PSA, but it's not an EVO, that said it has the right SKU number. May have to go the PSA route. Going to try and make some calls about local as well.

Top Bottom