THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Perhaps our back problems could be traced to strenuous work in early age.

As a 16 year old summer job, I worked for a company that supplied all of the hard goods and soft goods to the German gardeners (commercial lettuce /tomato operations) on the southside of Indy.
    I remember (un-fondly) unloading train cars full of 6 cu./ft. bales of peat moss.

Rahkes?

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Perhaps our back problems could be traced to strenuous work in early age.

As a 16 year old summer job, I worked for a company that supplied all of the hard goods and soft goods to the German gardeners (commercial lettuce /tomato operations) on the southside of Indy.
    I remember (un-fondly) unloading train cars full of 6 cu./ft. bales of peat moss.
    I was a farm kid, I blame thousands of hay bales. And maybe more than a little reckless abandon contributed, too. I wear the black sheep of the family label proudly.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Just thinking about those days now makes my back hurt. That was also some hot work in summer in FL.

At 16, I was loading and unloading windows and doors from trucks, putting the windows into racks, picking up orders for our builders.

I used to be able to pick up a 200lbs door over my head and sprint to the trucks, and I could do that 5 or 6 times before being too tired to do that.

Today, I doubt I could even do that with one.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    At 16, I was loading and unloading windows and doors from trucks, putting the windows into racks, picking up orders for our builders.

I used to be able to pick up a 200lbs door over my head and sprint to the trucks, and I could do that 5 or 6 times before being too tired to do that.

Today, I doubt I could even do that with one.
    :coffee:

I think the only time I could have raised 200# over my head might have been my time in the service. And I wasn't sprinting anywhere with it. I handled many thousands of hay bales and 50# and 100# sacks of feed as a youth. I suspect if we all were forced to sit on a backless stool at home and work, our core would be much stronger and our backs would have less problem supporting us. Our quest for comfort has been too successful for our own good.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    The idea of back issues and hard work as a youth....there might be something to it.

I know it's a trend in here to tout the hard work we did as kids ....but that wasn't my life. I was a multi-sport athlete through school, little in college then I moved to North Carolina to surf for a couple years.....then sold/raced bicycles for a couple years. Never threw hay, big doors, bags of anything.

At 49 my back, knees, hips are solid...zero issues. Shoulders a little wrecked from years of competitive swimming but that's it.

Good morning y'all!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The idea of back issues and hard work as a youth....there might be something to it.

IMO it only makes sense. Just like minor injuries from our youth can end up being big issues as we get older. I injured my wrist when I was 19 and it bothered me for 2 or 3 days. Starting in my 40's, my wrist started acting up and will now sometimes go out where I have severe pain for a week or two at a time. Same thing with backs I would imagine. All the hard work and incorrect lifting and such that had us aching for a day or two comes back to haunt us with more serious problems later in life.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Different times, different mindsets. I got rear ended by a tri-axle dump truck in the mid eighties. My head hit the frame for the rear window hard enough to pop the window loose from the cab of Dads truck.
    Walked to his work to tell them, went home and replaced the starter on my car, and went to the factory for my shift. I made it about halfway through my shift before the whiplash won, and my neck still feels it to this day. Docs said whiplash and stress fractures in the neck.
    3 doses of ibuprofen daily since then, and carry on with life

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Morning all,

It’s been a busy weekend. Had our first track meet with Special Olympics yesterday. It’s really something being a part of showing these kids that they’re worth working with and celebrating. And they love it. I don’t think I’ve received so many smiles and spontaneous hugs in my life.

Church this morning. Afterwords helping a friend who just had surgery with some stuff around his place. Then my oldest has a basketball game tonight.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Different times, different mindsets. I got rear ended by a tri-axle dump truck in the mid eighties. My head hit the frame for the rear window hard enough to pop the window loose from the cab of Dads truck.
    Walked to his work to tell them, went home and replaced the starter on my car, and went to the factory for my shift. I made it about halfway through my shift before the whiplash won, and my neck still feels it to this day. Docs said whiplash and stress fractures in the neck.
    3 doses of ibuprofen daily since then, and carry on with life

Not to make too much light of a serious injury but if it was a Mack truck….that would be great…

I can related to chronic neck/shoulder and it is directly from an untreated injury in my teens.

My lower back pain is all work related. Too much sitting. Not enough exercise. All on me.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning

Aches and pains that I have now at 40 are from having the strength of superman as a youth, which lead to incorrect lifting and then repairing cars for a long time after that. I will say that I learned in weight lifting classes in high school about proper technique to use my legs instead of my back when lifting weight from the ground and to this day my back is still in good shape. Knees, shoulders, neck along with hands not so much. Going along with what patience said, living and working a more comfortable lifestyle has not been good for my body.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom