• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    In discussions with a new neighbor who may have access to hunt on private land in Martinsville (not downtown, mind you), we got to talking about the minimum distance one must be from a dwelling to be able to discharge a firearm. We‘ve both come across states that have a 150yd/400ft rule, but no such rule lists in the Indiana Hunting guide, and the searches I’ve done have concluded that it comes down to county/local ordinances.

With that said, I was surprised to learn that Martinsville’s general ordinance states:

Ҥ 50-1 DISCHARGE OF WEAPONS.

It shall be unlawful to discharge any firearms or airgun, BB gun or any toy gun projecting lead, or any other type of missiles capable of producing injury to the human body, in and about the territorial and jurisdictional boundaries of the city, except in a regularly established shooting gallery or range…. …..Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be fined not less than $50.

(Ord. 1170, passed 8-6-1984)

Statutory reference:

Weapons, see I.C. 35-47-1-1 et seq.”

Am I to believe that Martinsville doesn’t see any firearm hunting within “its jurisdictional boundaries”? Martinsville is actually quite expansive these days, and while it would likely come down to somone with an axe to grind to come out and report you, this one surprised me.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The ordinance should apply only within the city limits of Martinsville. i.e. "Martinsville proper" (Roughly the area shown in this map on initial page load: https://martinsville.in.gov/city-map/), and not every place that happens to have a Martinsville postal address.

The postal address merely indicates out of which post office the mail is delivered. "Martinsville, IN 46151" postal addresses cover a significant portion of Morgan County, the zip code even crosses county lines.

46151 Map

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The ordinance should apply only within the city limits of Martinsville. i.e. "Martinsville proper" (Roughly the area shown in this map on initial page load: https://martinsville.in.gov/city-map/), and not every place that happens to have a Martinsville postal address.

The postal address merely indicates out of which post office the mail is delivered. "Martinsville, IN 46151" postal addresses cover a significant portion of Morgan County, the zip code even crosses county lines.

46151 Map
    The GIS map should show the real city limits. Postal codes are just a designation of who delivers the mail…

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I get a call almost every week. Why have you not picked up my brush/clippings/trash/street needs repaired/sidewalk sucks, street light out/neighbors house is trash..... Listen Gladys, you live ten miles from town.... But my address is.... Click.

Reactions: D K

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010

46151 Map
    So is it fair to say that anyone outside "Martinsville Proper" calling 911 is going to see a county-mountie show up, or would they see Martinsville PD show up?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So is it fair to say that anyone outside "Martinsville Proper" calling 911 is going to see a county-mountie show up, or would they see Martinsville PD show up?
    Wakarusa is a small town in Elkhart County up here in the Nort.

I have a Wakarusa address, even though I'm several miles out of town, and in St Joe Co.

I have called 9/11 several times over the last 40 years. Mostly I've gotten St Joe Co, but have also had the Wakarusa townies show up, or an occasional state trooper.

Trooper was always just because they were randomly passing through da hood. Waky townies, who really don't have much to do, have responded to deer/car accidents because St Joe Co asked them to nicely.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The lines are not usually that strict, in a true emergency if Martinsville is closest they likely will be first on the scene…

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I would expect county, though that may depend on the exact location and any coverage agreements between the two.

EDIT: and potentially other factors, as covered in the responses above

Reactions: D K
    Top Bottom