• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good pics CM, the one with the engine coming out brings back memories. I can't get under cars like I used to.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good pics CM, the one with the engine coming out brings back memories. I can't get under cars like I used to.

That is me under the car. I no longer lust to roll around under them either.

That car had more wiring than about anything I have worked on before or since. Totally eliminated all the ECU stuff.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I had an '84 T-type. Black with metallic gray on the sides & T tops. This was one year before the mandated center mounted 3rd brake light and was also 1 year prior to getting the intercooler.

The stupid T tops leaked down behind the door hinges and rusted it out in only a few years. That rust + breaking a timing chain put me over the edge & I sold it. I loved / hated that car.

If I can find an old picture I'll post it up.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Really love the Grand National. I remember the first time I noticed one. I'm not really a "Car guy." I like cars, I like fast cars, but don't know everything about all of them. it was maybe in 2000-2001. I remember walking buy, and thinking, that's a nice buick. then...wait a minute...dual exhaust...a couple styling notes...there's more to that car. I went back and looked it up online, and holy cow! that's an amazing car!!

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    I had an '84 T-type. Black with metallic gray on the sides & T tops. This was one year before the mandated center mounted 3rd brake light and was also 1 year prior to getting the intercooler.

The stupid T tops leaked down behind the door hinges and rusted it out in only a few years. That rust + breaking a timing chain put me over the edge & I sold it. I loved / hated that car.

If I can find an old picture I'll post it up.

That’s the WH1 paint scheme. Sexy.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    VKE2jEBm.jpg

Bought this new in the fall of 85. Was the first 86 with the intercooler around our area.
    First new car I ever ordered instead of buying off the lot.
    Had less than a year due to getting a divorce:xmad:
    Garage out back had 2 70 Buick GS's in it one was a standard 455 car and the other was a Stage 1 car.
    Standard 455 had a 2.93 open diff and I ran high 14's at Bunker Hill using only first and second gear. Put the 3.64 posi out of the stage 1 car in it for a few months and it went low 14's with this setup. Street tires and drove to the track.
    Stage 1 car I bought after a friends wife crashed it(not bad) was going to rebuild it when I had to sell for money for the divorce. I rode in it and drove it a few times before it was wrecked. Had some Kenny Bell parts in it and he ran high 12's thru the mufflers on street tires.
    The T-Type Turbo was quite a bit faster than my Standard 455 GS but it would have been interesting to see how it would have ran compared to the Stage 1. It might have been close if it was cold out. The Turbo loved the cold weather.
    Rumors were that it gained 1 horse for every degree drop in temperature. That's 50 horse at 30 degrees vs 80 degrees.
    I know it was like a different car at 30 to 40 degrees.
    Ahh the good old days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    VKE2jEBm.jpg

Bought this new in the fall of 85. Was the first 86 with the intercooler around our area.
    First new car I ever ordered instead of buying off the lot.
    Had less than a year due to getting a divorce:xmad:
    Garage out back had 2 70 Buick GS's in it one was a standard 455 car and the other was a Stage 1 car.
    Standard 455 had a 2.93 open diff and I ran high 14's at Bunker Hill using only first and second gear. Put the 3.64 posi out of the stage 1 car in it for a few months and it went low 14's with this setup. Street tires and drove to the track.
    Stage 1 car I bought after a friends wife crashed it(not bad) was going to rebuild it when I had to sell for money for the divorce. I rode in it and drove it a few times before it was wrecked. Had some Kenny Bell parts in it and he ran high 12's thru the mufflers on street tires.
    The T-Type Turbo was quite a bit faster than my Standard 455 GS but it would have been interesting to see how it would have ran compared to the Stage 1. It might have been close if it was cold out. The Turbo loved the cold weather.
    Rumors were that it gained 1 horse for every degree drop in temperature. That's 50 horse at 30 degrees vs 80 degrees.
    I know it was like a different car at 30 to 40 degrees.
    Ahh the good old days.

Man I can tell you some divorce storys. Ugh.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I owned a 1987 Buick Regal Turbo T, different interior and exterior trim package than the Grand National, otherwise similar. In 1987 there were about 20,000 Grand Nationals made and only 1592 Turbo T's made. The Turbo T's were rarer but never as popular as the Grand Nationals. They were kind of the ugly sister. Fastest production car made in 1987, faster than the Corvette. Great fun to drive, very easily modified to go very fast. I eventually sold mine after getting the Harley, just didn't drive it after that.

THE BADDEST CAR EVER! I had a buddy who owned Wolfe & Swickard Machine Shop. He sponsored Tim Richmond at Indy with Q95. He once took me for a ride in his brand new, nothing normal T Type. That car was amazing.....I will remember that ride forever. I have never been in anything even close since.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    My neighbor had a souped up GN and when I was real young the neighbor behind me had a sweet garage setup for his go carts. He was affiliated with comet cart and dismore and those guys in speedway. Last I heard his son was on Michael andretti's crew.
    My uncle is Billy bread (mayhew) and I even remember cart races through the streets of Greenfield...i think Stewart and others were around at that time

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My first car I ever bought was a little S10 pickup truck. Soon after I got it I found a GN for sale that I REALLY wanted. My dad talked me out of it. Probably not a terrible idea but I would have loved to have that car.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    My first car I ever bought was a little S10 pickup truck. Soon after I got it I found a GN for sale that I REALLY wanted. My dad talked me out of it. Probably not a terrible idea but I would have loved to have that car.

My first love was the fox body mustangs. My mom said no. Then I started lusting over GN's and Regal T Types. They were 9-10 grand and too much. Then a local dealer had an 89 Trans Am GTA at a good price and we went to test drive it. We both loved it but she said it was too much car for a 16 year old. Thanks for the tease mom. I ended up with my grandpa's low mileage Chevy 4x4 :)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The 5.0 fox bodies were all the rage when I was in high school. At the time they didn’t really do anything for me but they definitely grew on me. I always liked the SS Monte Carlos too, wanted one of the black cherry colored ones for a long time. One of my good friends felt the same way and ended up getting one about 15 years ago. He is a lucky SOB and found a real “old lady’s “ 1983 SS that had barely been driven. It’s the weird light metallic blue color with a friggen white pleather interior. I wil say that it’s pristine though.....

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The now defunct Jefferson county (Kentucky) police department had two GNs that they used for speed traps on the interstate. I think that may have been the first time I ever heard of one.

Top Bottom