• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    If an intruder is willing to ignore my dog barking @ him in my house, he's not going to be worrying about a car horn blaring. They already know just about how much time they have to do the deed they want to.

If he gets far enough into my house to set off the 300 watt strobe pointed down my hallway attached to a motion sensor, he'll never know what hit him as he's falling to the floor in a crumpled heap.:draw:

Have you seen the LED multicolored dazzlers? Forget the strobe, this thing will mess you up even when you know what to expect. I was trying to find a link earlier. I saw them out at a security convention earlier in the month.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Have you seen the LED multicolored dazzlers? Forget the strobe, this thing will mess you up even when you know what to expect. I was trying to find a link earlier. I saw them out at a security convention earlier in the month.

Just hook up the motion lights to a disco ball. Behold as the enemy breaks into a dance.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This idea of using your car alarm to scare away an intruder does sound like an enhancement to your home defense. It'll create lots of noise for the neighbors to get up and notice and most likely call or investigate. Thinking on the mentality of criminals who break into homes, they would want the least amount of noise as possible outside. If you live in a neighborhood and not in the cabin in the woods kind of thing, it does seem like a good idea and cheaper than a home alarm system. Of course if the crook isn't deterred by a little noise from out front or your garage, then you have your gun

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Naw, I'll stick with the 300 watt strobe, my wife turned it on one night while I was still not home, walked in to get blasted by it.

My pupils contracted to the size of a micro dot, could not see a thing and had to turn around to gather my bearings and I live here. :laugh:

I had to close my eyes and walk backwards feeling the wall because she would not get out of bed to turn off the switch, she thought it was funny as all get out.

As unsuspecting BG, not a good thing for him.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, any little 'trick' is a plus, and thus worthy of note. Even if it doesn't scare off the BG, it MIGHT just distract him, taking a moment to look in the direction of the sound. And that MIGHT be all the advantage the good guy needs.

And as noted, you can grab the fob WHILE grabbing the gun. If it works, great. If not, there's other options.

AND, if it's utilized and doesn't work, it shows that the good guy was willing to try non-violent methods before being forced into escalation.

I HOPE that those posting things akin to "just f*****g shoot 'em" realize that those posts CAN and possibly would be utilized in the prosecution of a case against them, god forbid. Such commentary COULD (not saying it would) be used to build a case of prior intent and premeditation.

JMO.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Naw, I'll stick with the 300 watt strobe, my wife turned it on one night while I was still not home, walked in to get blasted by it.

My pupils contracted to the size of a micro dot, could not see a thing and had to turn around to gather my bearings and I live here. :laugh:

I had to close my eyes and walk backwards feeling the wall because she would not get out of bed to turn off the switch, she thought it was funny as all get out.

As unsuspecting BG, not a good thing for him.

I will still try and find something on the inter web for you. It is exactly what you have but it pulsates red and blue. It is truly incapacitating.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    How I scare home invaders is to shoot them

^^^ this ^^^
    You'd be surprised what the effect of a loud bang coming from a firearm can do. Especially if it's aimed at you. I wouldn't waste precious seconds fumbling for a key fob and retrieving your firearm. I guess I'm just not that coordinated. If an intruder is bold enough to break into someones house, in my opinion, they would be bold enough to do you or your loved ones harm.
    Tooting a horn to scare such invaders away instead of using your firearm to protect you life and property sounds so Obama/Biden like. Makes me wonder why you're on this forum to start with.

Mak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Seymour
    Layered security is the best idea. Why wouldn't you want things like motion detectors, locks, and dogs. None of which cost you any time before confronting intruder with firearm.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Good point. I just made this one to answer all of the folks who will stop at nothing to shoot someone who breaks into their home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TJLSHh8Ycs

For those that haven't yet, you need to be reading articles and books by Massad Ayoob.
    Massad Ayoob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an except from one article about angle of shot.
    Answering some well asked questions about personal defense by Massad Ayoob

For many years, I've made a point of leveling the gun at the pelvis of everyone I took at gunpoint. The main reason is that this point of aim allows you to see the suspect's hands. If you aim at his head or chest or belly, your gun and your hands block your view of his hands. Man is the tool-bearing mammal, and therefore by definition the weapon-bearing mammal. A man will kill you with his hands. Thus, the Golden Rule of law enforcement: "Watch their hands!"
    With the gun leveled groin high, you'll be able to see in time if the suspect reaches for a weapon in his belt or in his pocket. If your gun is blocking your view of his hands, your first indication that you need to shoot will be when his bullet punches into your body. Talk about being behind the curve.

When a man perceives a firearm aimed at his private parts, a tremendous psychological effect is also engendered. A lot of bad guys have been shot or stabbed before, and have a lot of ego invested in having survived it. More of them have role models they met on the street or in prison who showed off the bullet scars on their torsos. This can reduce their fear of being shot in the trunk of the body. But NOTHING reduces a man's fear of being shot in the genitals. This point of aim seems to definitely get their attention, in my experience.
    If you do have to fire, a shot at the pelvis is angling downward. This reduces the chance of an exiting or missing shot striking a bystander a distance behind the felon, who was blocked from your view by the criminal's body or by the tunnel vision that so often afflicts people involved in these situations. Finally, the pelvic area tends to produce dynamically "man-stopping" gunshot wounds. They tear up the lower abdominal viscera frightfully, and if the pelvis is smashed, the cross-member of skeletal support is compromised and the body almost always collapses.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    If someone gets past my attack Shi-Tzu they will be met by a shotgun and have a decision to lay on the floor or wait for the flash and walk towards the light.

Seriously, my little ankle biter is a loud furry alarm and does not hesitate to let us know if anyone is coming up the walk towards the door. If they are fool enough to ignore her barking and not manage to trip over her as she surrounds the feet in a frantic attempt to be the first to get attention, then they are not here by mistake or to borrow a cup of sugar in the middle of the night.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I just call my Mother-in-law put the phone on speaker. After a few minutes of hearing her yap , the intruder will run screaming into the night stabbing at there ear drums with an ice pick.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    that's probably more sensible than my idea.....sleep nude, if someone breaks in just run towards them while violently shaking your "gun" at them......no one wants to fight the naked guy

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I will take every advantage I can muster.

But the truth is it all comes down to you. You have to be physically and mentally ready BEFORE you face a life and death situation. Now I seriously am not trying to be an ass here. Those of you that have not served in the military really need to get as much civilian training as you can. You will always fall back on your training when in a state of stress. I am not trying to be a know it all but this is a very serious subject. Do what you can to provide layered security but if a POS gets past all that, it is up to you. You will have to make a decision perhaps half asleep and stressed. Better to prepare and never have to employ what you have learned than to face the situation ill prepared. I wish you all well in a society full of murders and terrorists. Ok I am now off the soap box.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I am not saying rely on your panic alarm. I said to first use it, if it doesn't work then move on to other persuasive methods.:ar15:

I encourage you to try that the next time a thug hopped up on meth is breaking in your home....let us know how it turns out. Do some drills of you being in bed and have someone up the door and run to your room.....amazing how fast they can get there. Especially because when you are in a deep sleep there will be an obviously delay between you hearing the noise...waking up and being battle ready. I'm not wasting any precious seconds looking for keys so I can hook the horn.

Top Bottom