That Was Energetic... Bullseye Powder Loads???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I found some Bullseye today. Just a pound.

Working from old data, I came up with about 4.9gn under a 230gn boolit. Min listed at 4.7, max 5.1.

The recoil was quite energetic.

Looking at the latest data on Alliant's page, it looks like the new max charge is 5.7gn for a 230gn jacketed bullet.

I don't see that a 1911 would hold up all that well to that load. At least, the shooter's hands would be sore.

My load (new pet load, btw) burns completely, better than W231, and generates a bit more felt recoil than my Hydra-Shok defensive ammo.

Is the new published data wrong? Or have they changed the powder that much?

Additionally, what are your favorite loads using Bullseye? Besides being fun to discuss, this might establish a baseline for comparison.

Thanks,

Josh <><

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    just about all my lead loads for my 45 Kimber is 5.0 gr. bullseye and it shoots great. let me know if i can help more that powder is all i use for my 45

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I shoot 5.5gr of Bullseye pushing a 230gr Rainer all day. doesn't seem too bad to me. Would love to chrono it someday.

Speer 13 gives a range of 5.2@779 to 5.7@840 out of a 4.4" barrel.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    In all seriousness, did you check your scale before loading? I always zero mine before each session (and half way though). Also, do you have any wind creating things (fans, ducts, etc...) that could throw off the readings? I had some loads I threw and accidentally had my fan running. I didnt cap them off (thank God) and they were up to 2 grains higher than they were supposed to be!

Also, what is your OAL? I dont like Bullseye for the simple fact that it seems to compound the pressures faster in relation to OAL as opposed to my fav fast burner, Titegroup.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I shoot 5.5gr of Bullseye pushing a 230gr Rainer all day. doesn't seem too bad to me. Would love to chrono it someday.

Speer 13 gives a range of 5.2@779 to 5.7@840 out of a 4.4" barrel.
    Yep,thats what I use.Not calling you a wimp or anything,but a .45acp does have some recoil if you load full power loads.I don't see much difference between this load and factory PD ammo.:twocents::patriot:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    In all seriousness, did you check your scale before loading? I always zero mine before each session (and half way though). Also, do you have any wind creating things (fans, ducts, etc...) that could throw off the readings? I had some loads I threw and accidentally had my fan running. I didnt cap them off (thank God) and they were up to 2 grains higher than they were supposed to be!

Also, what is your OAL? I dont like Bullseye for the simple fact that it seems to compound the pressures faster in relation to OAL as opposed to my fav fast burner, Titegroup.

I think you may be on to something.
    4.9 gr should feel pretty light compared to HydraShoks.

Also, in my experience, Bullseye tends to be pretty dirty and not "burn completely" until you load it on the hotter side. Even 5.5 seems to leave a fair amount of powder residue.

So if your loads are burning clean and feel hotter than hydra-shoks, first thing I'd do is check your scale.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash

My OAL is 1.70 or so, due to the cast bullets I'm using (see below). I'm sure I have the scale calibrated right, but I'm checking again this morning to be 100% sure. Think I'll stop by McDonald's and see if he has a chrono while I'm at it.

Yep,thats what I use.Not calling you a wimp or anything,but a .45acp does have some recoil if you load full power loads.I don't see much difference between this load and factory PD ammo.:twocents::patriot:

Lee Precision, Inc. Shopping Cart <---- that's the mould I'm using. It's cast so the pressure is going to be a bit higher.

Don't get my wrong; the recoil doesn't bother me. I LOVE recoil - learned to shoot a centerfire with an H&R single shot slug gun, no recoil pad, and think Mosin-Nagant carbines are on the low side of recoil with the 148gn loads.

More concerned about blowing me up than anything else, or battering the frame or lugs.

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Scale checks out. The BE seems a bit fluffy, so it takes the .57 hole on the Lee measure to get 5.0; .53 throws 4.5 or so.

Out of the two, I like the higher charge.

It may be my seating depth: These cast bullets are long due to a reduced radius nose, and I'm almost sitting on top of the powder. I'll have to get the seated depth later, but it does seat further than other 1.70" long cartridges.

The gunstore I mentioned in Marion bought about 100 bullets (unloaded, lubed) from me yesterday. If they're still there, you're welcome to try them. Or I could send someone here a few to see if they get the same results.

Josh <><

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wait...? 1.70"??? Isnt that a bit long for 45acp? I use 4.2gr bullseye under a 230gr lead bullet at 1.250" oal... It has worked great in my 5" Kimber and 4 1/4" Dan Wesson for many hundreds (~500) of rounds. "Easy" shooting round, but accurate and always reliable.

This page on handloads.org has some decent data on 45acp:

45 ACP Load Data - Handloads.Com

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Brians got it right. Too long=too much air/case capacity. BE and other fast burning powders get more explosive, as opposed to burning, in environments like that. Could be contributing to the issue. Also, how are they feeding with that long of a situation? Maybe a typo?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I can't comment on OAL without checking my notes, but my standard hardball load has been 5.0 of Bull's Eye for years. I'm pretty sure that it's Hatcher's Notebook that states that the 230gr FMJ and 5.0 of Bull's Eye was the original load for the .45 acp. Obviously with cast bullets your pressure should be lower an velocity higher, but recoil should be very similar to factory loads.

Doug K

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Max COL for the .45acp is 1.275".

You're right; it was a typo. I was in a hurry and skipped the 2.

At any rate, the bullet is somewhat long, and the seated depth is the same as other bullets.

Josh <><

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I've always liked Bullseye for my .45 loads. I've been loading 5.4 gn of Bullseye with 185 gn Speer Gold Dot JHP's at 1.195 OAL with good results for years. My second choice of powder is Universal Clays

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I started out with 5.0 of Bullseye under a Missouri Bullet Company 230gr LRN bullet but experienced excessive leading in my FNP45. Dropped it down to 4.75gr and it got better, but still a bit too much leading for me. Dropped it down again to 4.5gr and it's absolutely perfect. Saves a little powder as well.

My 4.5gr loads have a few feeding issues in my FNP45 due to it's need for full-power loads, but for the range it makes for some nice unplanned malfunction drills.

In my Kimber, however, after nearly 800 rounds I've yet to have a single failure and very minimal leading. After a few hundred rounds, there are only a few slivers of lead in the grooves. I've picked up another 6lbs of Bullseye due to my good luck with it. :yesway:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    What would be the general velocity (I know all barrels are different) for a 5" 1911 loaded with 4.5gn of BE under a 230gn LRN cast?

I'm currently trying to find an inexpensive chrono, but they're either sold out or overpriced.

Thanks,

Josh <><

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    I started out with 5.0 of Bullseye under a Missouri Bullet Company 230gr LRN bullet but experienced excessive leading in my FNP45. Dropped it down to 4.75gr and it got better, but still a bit too much leading for me. Dropped it down again to 4.5gr and it's absolutely perfect. Saves a little powder as well.

My 4.5gr loads have a few feeding issues in my FNP45 due to it's need for full-power loads, but for the range it makes for some nice unplanned malfunction drills.

In my Kimber, however, after nearly 800 rounds I've yet to have a single failure and very minimal leading. After a few hundred rounds, there are only a few slivers of lead in the grooves. I've picked up another 6lbs of Bullseye due to my good luck with it. :yesway:

Yea you got to really do something wrong to get a kimber not to work love mine never no trouble out of it no matter what i was shooting or playing with in the reloads to see what will and won't work

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    What would be the general velocity (I know all barrels are different) for a 5" 1911 loaded with 4.5gn of BE under a 230gn LRN cast?

I'm currently trying to find an inexpensive chrono, but they're either sold out or overpriced.

Thanks,

Josh <><

I've been having the same problems finding a Chrono as well.

Last I read, 4.5gr Bullseye over a 230gr LRN produces a velocity in the high 700s.

Top Bottom