• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    So my wife got stuck in the ditch on her way to work Tuesday morning. I was still home with the kids, who were sleeping, since I didn't have to go in till later that day. I had spoken with her on the phone and we decided she should call my cousin who was out plowing snow in the area to help her. While she was on the phone another truck stopped and offered to pull her out of the ditch. Tuesday evening while telling me about it she mentioned the person that helped her had an INGO sticker in their truck window. :ingo:

So thanks mystery INGO member. :)

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NWI? White Dodge Caravan? If so, you're welcome. Always try to be a good neighbor, you never know when you may need the favor returned.
    Nope, she was driving a Red Dodge Pickup. I agree with your philosophy though. I'm sure they person you pulled out is just as happy. :)

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Been driving my Cherokee with a tow strap in it since it started snowing. When I had the car before I bought the Jeep, I got stuck and someone pulled me out. I try to help who I can. Most people I encounter have no way to be pulled out though with a tow strap (no tow hooks, tow points, or real frame).

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    :ingo:

If I had a truck capable of helping people out of the snow/ditch/whatever I'd always carry a tow trap and chains with me...never know when you need to help someone out. My dad used to go out driving around for the specific purpose of getting people out, he even pulled a guy with a plow on his truck out, so dad got his driveway plowed for free that day.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I've been pulling people out of ditches for 3 days. The way I look at it is that I have children and a wife who drive and one day they might need help. I'm a firm believer in karma!:yesway:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I always keep a strap in my truck year round and try to help if I can. Used it twice on Monday, and probably 4-5 times since I've had it. Glad somebody was there to help your wife!
    Most people I encounter have no way to be pulled out though with a tow strap (no tow hooks, tow points, or real frame).
    Yeah, that kinda sucks. I usually let the other person hook up if they're able, otherwise I'm ridiculously careful about where I put it.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Yep, I came across a Equinox stuck in a ditch. I immediately noticed no tow hooks up from the road. They didn't have a hitch either. I told them if they could find a safe place to hook up my tow strap, I would try to pull them out. They couldn't, I drove by later and it seems maybe they slide it up the ditch to a shorter area of the ditch and got it out or something.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I always keep a strap in my truck year round and try to help if I can. Used it twice on Monday, and probably 4-5 times since I've had it. Glad somebody was there to help your wife!

Yeah, that kinda sucks. I usually let the other person hook up if they're able, otherwise I'm ridiculously careful about where I put it.

I keep a shovel, strap , and a hook for my hitch in my SUV. I always have the other person hook the strap on their vehicle if there is even a place. So many vehicles theses days, even some trucks and SUVs, have no real frame, tow hooks, or hitch to hook onto. Dam uni-bodies. Best I can offer in those cases is a shovel or a phone to call for a wrecker and a ride. Sometimes if enough people stop to help you can all push the vehicle back on the road, if there are good places to push on it without breaking or bending everything. I'm always willing to help so long as it won't damage their vehicle or be unsafe.

There have been times I've considered getting a set of tire chains. Most people anymore probably wouldn't even know what they are if they saw them.

I was surprised that the last two days I have not seen anyone needing pulled out, except one. He must have been going at a good clip (in other words way to fast), because he was probably 20 to 30 feet off the road, in deep snow up against a bush. He was OK, and already on the phone calling for a tow truck / wrecker.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    So many vehicles theses days, even some trucks and SUVs, have no real frame, tow hooks, or hitch to hook onto. Dam uni-bodies.
    Yeah, I can't believe how some of the vehicles are built these days. Had to use the front sway bar to pull my dad's Ranger out Monday. Not ideal, but I wasn't leaving my dad's truck in the middle of the road either. How the heck does a 2WD truck not have something better than that in the front?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think we have strapped onto 8 total since snowmageddon has been a part of our lives. At least 4 on my our street that high sided on the plow hump at the end of the drive way from the city trucks....:dunno:
    They were all out far enough to stop traffic in the lane. The mustang we pulled off the hump has yet to return to the driveway. I mentioned he might want to park that car until this was over.
    The lady directly across from us was also high sided. Pulled her off and she took out to the drugstore. She has our cell numbers as she is up in age and we try to take care of her. She called in less than 5 minutes. Yup, stuck again. Nosed into a drift. Brought her home and son took her to the store.
    If we can, we help.

Last edited:

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    So, tell me if I was doing it wrong then...When I worked for Hoosier Helpers, I was trained and did hook up my chains through the A-Frame on the front wheels normally. Is this correct? I never did any damage to anyone's vehicle but that could have been luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, tell me if I was doing it wrong then...When I worked for Hoosier Helpers, I was trained and did hook up my chains through the A-Frame on the front wheels normally. Is this correct? I never did any damage to anyone's vehicle but that could have been luck.

Depends on how hard you snapped the chains when you pulled them out. I have used a lower A arm for the strap before but was gentle enough when I pulled on the car.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Depends on how hard you snapped the chains when you pulled them out. I have used a lower A arm for the strap before but was gentle enough when I pulled on the car.
    Yeah, I would agree with that. Probably wouldn't take a lot of force to mess something up there.

Just did a quick Google search, and most of the articles I read acted like a hook/mount (actually for tying down on ships during transport) was pretty common on most cars today. Guess I'll have to look better in the future. :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, I would agree with that. Probably wouldn't take a lot of force to mess something up there.

Just did a quick Google search, and most of the articles I read acted like a hook/mount (actually for tying down on ships during transport) was pretty common on most cars today. Guess I'll have to look better in the future. :dunno:
    Yep. Every vehicle has a transport hook slot at all 4 corners. There are special hooks that slide right in. I've been meaning to get a set. In the meantime, I just don't strap to anything I can't hook up to.

Here is a hook set for most any car. Attaches to the end of your chain/strap:
    Super Duty Cluster Hooks
    detail_751_DOMESTIC_GOLD.JPG

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Yep. Every vehicle has a transport hook slot at all 4 corners. There are special hooks that slide right in. I've been meaning to get a set. In the meantime, I just don't strap to anything I can't hook up to.

Super Duty Cluster Hooks
    Never seen those before, pretty cool. Might have to get some. Thanks for the link!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy

Super Duty Cluster Hooks

I have one of these. I can find a hook point on most cars. I was unable to find one on a Fusion Sunday. It could be my unfamiliarity with that particular car. The manufacturers hide them well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    On some cars, the tow point is behind the front bumper and needs to have a tow eye screwed in place. All of our cars are like that, but I'm guessing a lot of owners have no idea there car has a tow point that they need to screw in to get pulled out without damage.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom