• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    "Raid" may be a strong word but when "truckloads" of your inventory are carted off by the Feds, I had trouble coming up with another. (I loved in Blount County for a few years - suburb of Knoxville - gateway to the busiest entrance of the Smokies Nat'l Park.)

East Tenn. gun-maker, importer faces federal scrutiny

BLOUNT COUNTY, Tenn. (WVLT) -- An East Tennessee gun-maker and importer is facing a federal investigation.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms has seized several small truckloads of materials -- including gun parts--from Tennessee Guns International, or T.G.I., of Blount County.
    Click here to find out more!

A TGI spokesperson will confirm only that federal agents took the materials as part of a routine audit required of all licensed gun importers, manufacturers, and re-sellers.

"TGI is cooperating fully," says sales manager Ryan Patrick.

TGI's website promotes the company as an importer and re-seller of surplus guns from formerly Communist countries.

According to crate labels, some material the ATF seized includes parts for AK-74 'assault rifles.'

AK 74's can't be sold "as-is" in the United States.

"They come in as parts and they have to be modified," says
    Coal Creek Armory's Jonathan Pirkle, a West Knox County firearms dealer and manufacturer.

"Customs should have caught anything that wasn't allowed."

An ATF spokesman in Nashville will confirm only that the federal agency is examining the operations of Tennessee Guns International.
    He would not speculate when the investigation might conclude.

TGI Online Store, Your Source For Military Surplus Parts and Accessories

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's BS how the ATF can seize truckloads (or anything) and it falls under their broad purview of "routine inspection".

What the heck happened to the Right to be secure and the requirement for warrants?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Guess 18 months had passed since they took all of Cavalry Arms inventory, so it was time to move on.

I wonder if the issue/excuse at hand was uncut barrels...

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    If they hold an FFL the ATF is not required to get warrants. Being an FFL holder whether it be to sell, manufacture, or whatever gives them the right at anytime to come in I believe

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The change in import rules on barrels made me wonder if that were an excuse to bust someone. Just a pondering.

Supposedly, the recent kits with intact barrels were approved for importation prior to the "barrel ban" but got hung up in customs for awhile. Maybe there's more to that story than we're being told? :dunno:

Hopefully this won't get to the level of ATF seizing sales records and going door to door to collect barrels, like they did with the IO's subgun kits a few years ago...

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    "What the heck happened to the Right to be secure and the requirement for warrants? "
    We don't know if they had warrants or not - Speculation. If you read the article or have your FFL, you'd know the answer to this.

"It's BS how the ATF can seize truckloads (or anything) and it falls under their broad purview of "routine inspection"."

What is BS about following the law? According to the artlcle:
    A TGI spokesperson will confirm only that federal agents took the materials as part of a routine audit required of all licensed gun importers, manufacturers, and re-sellers.

You guys read an news article you disagree with, and whine about how TGI is getting the raw end of the deal, trusting what is in the news article implicitly. No real facts here, just a few blurbs from some folks. Not much data yet.

Next week the same guys from the paper can write an article about gun laws, and you throw the paper under the truck, because he does'nt have any facts, just a few blurbs from some folks.

What's the difference here?

Does it ever hurt sitting on that fence?

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Hopefully we will see an intrastate gun manufacturer bill this legislative session. :)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    From the Declaration of Independence, greivances section:

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Something weird happened with TGI as well. They were going to have a "black friday" sale of 3 rifles:

TGI Black Friday Ad said:
    1. The Bulgarian AK-74 Classic for $599
    • Made in Bulgaria by ISD Ltd. as SSR-85C rifles chambered in 5.45x39mm
    • Finished with IWD Beech Hardwood Stock/handguards & hand-rubbed Tung oil
    • Original Bulgarian Chrome-lined barrel
    • 74 style brake threaded and tacked lightly
    • US Fire Control set, 922r compliant with any magazine
    • One 30rd Bulgarian Magazine
    • Deluxe Bulldog soft assault case included
    https://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_28&products_id=1017
    2. The Collector Grade AMD-65 for $499
    • Extended muzzle brake blind pinned instead of welded
    • Upgraded Molybdenum Disulfide black finish (GunKote)
    • NEW US made Beech wood grips with hand rubbed Tung oil finish
    • Steel Hungarian magazine instead of US polymer
    • NoDak Spud Receiver
    • 922(r) compliant with any foreign magazine
    • Hungarian Leather sling with sling swivel
    • Cleaning kit with oil/solvent bottles
    • Deluxe Bulldog soft assault case included
    http://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_28&products_id=1016
    3. The TGI Truck Gun AK-74 for $399
    The TGI Truck Gun is an entry level AK-74 rifle in 5.45x39mm built with Bulgarian parts including original chrome-lined Bulgarian barrels and NDS receivers. They use excellent to like new parts and come boxed with one 30rd magazine. The Truck Gun was built with the budget conscious shooter in mind and takes advantage of the plentiful and affordable 5.45 surplus ammunition available right now. The Truck Gun wears Bulgarian Surplus hardwood furniture that will have character in the form of slight scratches or remnants of Bulgarian paint. The hardwood is in excellent condition with no gouges or cracks and makes the TGI Truck Gun a great value.

I was HYPED over the truck gun, which was assembled from some of these NICE bulgy kits with chrome barrels. I had one of the kits, so I knew how nice they were. Including an NDS receiver, WIN WIN!.

Well the day before these were to go on sale (ie thanksgiving day) they canceled the sale. Last I checked these rifles will NEVER be on sale.

TGI did finally have a new sale to make up for the old sale, but the 74 and the AMD are no longer available.

clay

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    because we all know that gun parts kits with the original barrels in tact are super baby killing machines waiting to be assembled!

Yet gun kits with US barrels make the Brady Bunch hug and sing Kumbaya.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    No, its not a "super baby killing machine" unless it has not only the original barrel, but also is provided with the explosive tipped teflon coated "diaper penetrator" rounds.

What my previous post was intended to reflect is my belief that

1. This stinks to high hell.

2. "A routine inspection" in no way, shape, or form explains this seizure. And if indeed a "routine inspection" involves carting off "truckloads" of arms, or parts of arms...why the hell do we tolerate it?

Top Bottom