• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Most of the camping I do is when I go on wheeling trips with my Jeep. During those trips, Im there more for the wheeling than the camping, so I like to have a few creature comforts, heat being the main thing. I thought about getting a slide in camper for my truck. However, the weight and needing to load it/unload it, and store it all kinda stopped me from getting one.

We have been using a tent we got at Meijer I think. It works good, doesnt leak, etc. However, it also doesnt seal up very well as far as keeping heat in. Good during the summer, but not during the early spring/late fall trips when it gets pretty cold at night. Ive got a buddy heater that works pretty good. I made some panels out of a tarp to cover the large mesh areas to help keep heat in. However, there is not a lot of room inside, and the heater ends up a bit too close for comfort to both our airbed and the sloped wall of the tent. I can feel that the wall gets really hot and always fear it catching fire. That results in me not getting much sleep because I want to keep an eye on it.

I also very much dread setting up and tearing down tents. Like I said, im not there for the camping aspect as much as the beating the snot out of my Jeep aspect.

What Im looking for is one of those tents that pretty much just pops up and folds back down. I know Coleman makes some, but ive been seeing a lot of negative reviews about them leaking from day one (a rain fly isnt even standard, its an extra accessory you have to buy), and breaking pretty quickly. I also want one with walls that are closer to vertical rather than heavily sloped. Was also thinking around an 6-8 person size to give us the room inside to move around and also keep that heater far enough from the bed and walls that I can sleep comfortably without worrying all night.

So, any other brands I should look into before just buying the Coleman and hoping for the best?

Thanks!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Agreed, the simple "pop" tents are not very good.

Do you trailer your Jeep? You say 6-8 people, how many will actually be sleeping in the tent?

A good sleeping bag (mummy) will keep you warmer than the heater and it won't catch your tent on fire. And it's cheaper than a tent that will hold heat (they call those tavel trailers). OK, so maybe that's a little sarcasm there. :) Have you considered a truck cap? Take a look at this: THE FLIP-PAC CONVERTIBLE CAMPER SHELL

as for tents...

1. The smaller the tent, the warmer it will be.
    2. Don't sleep with the heater on. Turn it off. You'll wake up if you get cold. With a good bag you won't need the heater.
    3. Get a canvas tent or a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground, to keep the wind out.
    4. Air matresses are comfy, but not very warm. Closed cell foam pads, or self inflating pads are much warmer.

Here's my bag... the zero degree one... going on our annual winter camporee with the scouts in a couple weeks... warm and toasy... except my nose... that's what the balaclava is for.

Crescent Lake < Mummy Bags < Bags | ALPS Mountaineering

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    For cold weather camping it is hard to beat a canvas tent. I spent many a Klondike Derby in the snow in a heavy old canvas pup tent back in my Scout days.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    REI in castelton would be a great place to stop by I'd your close. I've been there several times for various things and each staff member that I talked to was pretty knowledgable and I didn't feel rushed at all.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

I do trailer my Jeep

Normally, just me and my wife as well as toting the dog along occasionally on trips when it wont be too cold or warm. We also may have a friend or two occasionally if they want to ride along

I did buy a truck cap with the intent to camp out of it. Problems I ran into are with only a 6.5' bed, its just too small. In the summer, even with the windows open, it gets unbearable warm and humid in there. Once loaded up with tools, gear, spare tires, etc, there wasnt enough room left in the bed even if I made a platform.

I plan on getting warmer sleeping bags. However, I cant truly describe how much this scrawny white boy HATES cold. One of the biggest problems I have is as we are going to bed or waking up and we have to get changed. I always have a hard time bringing myself out of the sleeping bag to get moving round in the cold.

Im also planning on getting one of those portable ac units. We need a second unit in the house anyway, and they can be found slightly used for the same price as a window unit. Figured id try to use that in the summer as well. I know it wont be greatly effective in a tent, but if it helps cool it down even a little in the middle of the summer, Ill be happy. We almost always have an electric site.

If I had enough money to buy a bigger truck, Id just get a longer trailer and mount slide in or pop up camper on the front of it. Currently working with a 2000 2500 (non HD) Silverado, ext cab, 6.5' bed, 6.0 gas, auto. Its got an 8k lb tow rating, which after 4k+ lb of Jeep, 1k lb in trailer, only leaves roughly 2500-3000lb. Not enough for a longer trailer+load (additional vehicle or camper). And I did the math once, and iirc, the weight of slide in camper + jeep/trailer was already getting close to if not over gvwr, not to mention passengers and gear.

Thanks again for the ideas so far though. Ill take em into consideration and do some looking. Ill also check out the other companies mentioned and see whats offered

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If your main concern is cold, like mentioned above, get a better sleeping bag. I don't know what your budget is, but look for 4 season backpacking tents. Also, make sure you eat something right before you go to sleep. Your body will work (creating heat) digesting the meal/snack and it will help keep your core warm. Another trick I found while backpacking is to boil some water and put it in a Nalgene type water bottle and throw it in the foot box of your sleeping bag about 5-10 minutes before you get in. It will warm your bag and help take the chill out. It also feels nice on your feet while you start to go to sleep. It works pretty damn well.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    can wrap the sleeping bags with a wool blanket, or sleep in pants.

depending on campsite, electric heater fan could be an option. As could an old blanket with a tarp on top of the tent (have seen it before, looks goofy, but works).

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Here is what I (and family) currently use for our trips:

Tent : Eureka Sunrise 9 (http://store.eurekatent.com/sunrise-9-tent)

This tent has been great. We have beat the crap out of this one for years now. It fits 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) perfectly. It is larger and as one other poster mentioned, that means it retains less heat. The poles are fiberglass and started to splinter last season so I bought a repair kit and replaced a few of them but that is after years of regular camping. It goes up and down relatively easy. It doesn't just pop up but it only has 2 poles that use sleeves/clips. You don't have to stake it down if you don't want (as long as it isnt extremely windy your bags, etc will keep it planted). We bring a 10X10 tarp to put under the tent for when it rains.

Sleeping Bag: Coleman 20 Degree Mummy Bag

As mentioned, the bag is the most important part. I have camped down into the 20s with this thing and never been cold. At that temperature you will be fully dressed (socks/pants) and the bag sinched up around your face but it will keep you warm. In slightly warmer weather (40+), I will be perfect in the bag wearing just a t-shirt and underwear. My family doesn't like the mummy style so they all have the standard rectangular bags and they will start muttering about the cold long before I even notice it.

Sleeping Pad: Thermarest BaseCamp (http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/basecamp/product)

All I can say about this pad is - oh my f**** god. I have camped since I was a kid and for the longest time I didn't use any pad. Then for many years I used a standard inexpensive closed cell pad. That was better but I still found myself having to position myself correctly around roots and rocks to get comfortable and because I sleep on my side, I would start getting really sore hips after a few days. I have now used the thermarest for the past 2 years and I regret never trying it before. It packs relatively small, keeps me warmer, and most importantly is extremely comfortable. I don't have to worry about rocks and roots anymore and I can sleep on my side with no pain for weeks on end. It is as comfortable as a bed. I can not say enough about this thing.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    You don't mention any budget concerns, which is a big part of buying a tent.

I've been backpacking, hiking, mountain climbing, and generally sleeping outdoors for a while now, in all sorts of places (swamps of Georgia, Appalachian hills, Colorado, desert of Utah, Alps of Switzerland, etc.

My suggestion, for your needs, would be the REI Half Dome or Camp Dome.

REI Camp Dome 4 Tent - Free Shipping at REI.com

REI Half Dome 4 Tent - Free Shipping at REI.com

Both are reasonably priced, easy to set up, and with the included rain fly will hold enough heat to keep you from turning into an icicle.

A couple other thoughts on keeping warm:
    1. A good sleeping bag and a pad under it will do wonders.
    2. Stoke the human furnace before bed by eating a high-protein snack. Jerky, pepperoni sticks, a handful of peanuts, etc. The body has to work a little harder to digest protein than, say, carbs, and that metabolism while you sleep will generate heat.
    3. Drain your bladder before you hit the sack. No point trying to keep all that urine warm.
    4. Fill a water bottle (like one of those Nalgene-type bottles) with HOT water, slide it into a wool sock, and tuck that against your core when you crawl into your bag.
    5. Wear an insulating layer to bed. In Colorado winters, or glacier camping in the Alps, I would wear a polypro base layer, wool socks, and a stocking cap in my sleeping bag. If it gets REALLY cold, I'd not hesitate to add fleece pants and a fleece jacket. If it gets REALLY REALLY cold (like, below -10 or so), I'd add down pants and a down coat.

Lastly:

I plan on getting warmer sleeping bags. However, I cant truly describe how much this scrawny white boy HATES cold. One of the biggest problems I have is as we are going to bed or waking up and we have to get changed. I always have a hard time bringing myself out of the sleeping bag to get moving round in the cold.

Take your clothes you'll be wearing the next day, stuff them inside your sleeping bag with you. In the morning, you'll have warm clothes to put on over the base layer you wore to bed.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    JMO, I've had better luck staying warm just wearing my long johns, wool socks and a balaclava. Whenever I've worn "clothes" to bed I've been cold, especially the feet. I think this is because the clothes hold the body heat and don't let the warm air get down to my feet. Also, I perspire a lot all over, and with the layer of clothes I wake up with damp long johns - not a good way to stay warm.

BTW. Strip down and put on dry base layer before going to bed. Any moisture will make for an uncomfortable cold wet feeling all night.

P.S. No cotton long johns. They hold the moisture.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I use a four season tent. I also use a O rated sleeping bag with a liner. That bag is light and warm with the liner. The liner is like flees, keeps the bag very warm. Also a pad is a must for winter camping as well as a tent foot print.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    My wife and I swear by our 4 season jungle hammock. We both fit in there perfectly, and backpack camp together. The last time we put the hammock 6 feet in the air, just out of tippy-toe reach. Swinging back and forth throughout the cool Indiana night, listening to the coyotees howl and raccoons fight, our hammock makes for some good sleepin'

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Great advice here. REI brand tents are well made and reasonably priced. Another place to shop is Camping Gear & Outdoor Gear - Outerwear & Outdoor Clothing from Campmor.com

Ground cover under tent helps. Good sleeping pad and bag are a must. If it is really cold add more sleeping pads to insulate you from the ground. I find wearing a watch cap to bed helps keep me warm when it is cold out. Be careful with the tent heater; wouldn't want it to start a fire when you are zipped up in a sleeping bag and tent.

Top Bottom