• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sawed off

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2014
    South bend
    I was thinking the same thing. Keeping one "stock" except for the sights, and changing the trigger set up and a few other items on the second. they seem to hold value well, so if you ever decided to get rid of one it would be easy. My 25 cents worth, inflation!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Buy the back up subcompact that goes with it so you'll have a BUG that takes the same magazines as your Glock 17

Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I own 5 different variations of the Glock 17 and no that isn't weird... It means you have great taste in great firearms!

dcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    southport
    I wouldn't buy two 1911's. If I did I would just end up paying two thousand dollars for identical guns that don't cycle hollow points and have wobbly triggers! That's bad investing.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While it's nice to have a variety of guns as a backup for carry, it can get expensive trying to outfit each type with a good carry holster. Having a backup of the same gun eliminates that cost. One word of advice though, don't store both of your guns together if you have to leave them at home. It would suck to come home to find that both your EDC and its backup were stolen.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It seems weird to me not to want another one if you really like it.

Maybe it's our age that is guiding this philosophy. Many of us grew up in the '50s, '60s and '70s without the abundance we have today. If you lost something or if it broke, you learned to live without it since running to the store and grabbing another one was generally not an option. I know that over the years, when I find something I like, I buy a second one eventually. This extends to cars as well. I have, and love, my '69 Fiat Spider. It only makes sense to buy a '68 and keep it as a spare since if anything happened to the '69, I would not be able to just run out and get another.

Folks born in the last 30 years have lived in a world where there is so much abundance of everything, we throw perfectly good stuff away to make room for marginally better stuff. In today's world, maybe having a second one of the same thing you already have is weird. That means you will have to get rid of two when your fancy takes you in a different direction.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Maybe it's our age that is guiding this philosophy. Many of us grew up in the '50s, '60s and '70s without the abundance we have today. If you lost something or if it broke, you learned to live without it since running to the store and grabbing another one was generally not an option. I know that over the years, when I find something I like, I buy a second one eventually. This extends to cars as well. I have, and love, my '69 Fiat Spider. It only makes sense to buy a '68 and keep it as a spare since if anything happened to the '69, I would not be able to just run out and get another.

Folks born in the last 30 years have lived in a world where there is so much abundance of everything, we throw perfectly good stuff away to make room for marginally better stuff. In today's world, maybe having a second one of the same thing you already have is weird. That means you will have to get rid of two when your fancy takes you in a different direction.

So true. I see that with home ownership. I once did a remodel to my home and tore out all the moldings, doors, cabinets, even down to the electrical outlets and switches. All of that stuff was good. I just wanted better. Up until a couple weeks ago, in hindsight I should have lived with what I had until it was no longer good and then replaced it. However, it did help me sell my home faster and for more money so in the end it worked out.

But, being a minimalist I tend to not own a lot of stuff. I constantly talk myself out of buying another this or that. I recently purchased (5) AR lower receivers mostly as in investment to sell one day. But I am already itching to build at least one more AR or maybe two.:)

I do have only one 1911 and really don't want another. I have a M&P 9 that I have thought of selling since I already have a 9mm in the 1911. But I guess having two full size pistols in the same caliber is not too much excess.:)

I have shotgun that I should probably keep since it would be great for Skeet or Dove hunting. But since I don't dove hunt and I am undecided on shooting Skeet, I have it for sale. I guess if it doesn't sell, I'll take it as a sign that I should give Skeet a shot.

Someone I know has, in the last couple years trimmed down his gun collection from over 55 firearms to 33. He is still trying to reduce, but finds it increasingly difficult to find something to part with. I don't own a third of what he currently owns.

But I still don't find it weird to own multiples of anything. It's not for me, but I understand that I am a very peculiar person.:)

My FIL has something like 4-6 sharpening steels. When I asked him why he has so many, he said; " I just find them at yard sales cheap, so I buy them." I only need one and only have one.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My favorite pistol by far is my glock 17. I love this gun so much i think I wanna buy another one. So is it weird to have two of the same guns? Usually I am always buying something different. Different calibers, different designs, but in my opinion there is no better pistol than a glock 17. At the end of the day though how different could another glock 17 be from any other one. Anyone out there have multiple glocks in the same caliber? Maybe you could help me with this strange notion.

With anything, not just handguns, I would buy an identical one if the price was right. I would either resell the item or trade it for something else wanted. When the item is something you like, it does not matter if you never sell, you still have something you like. Sometimes friends with limited funds would benefit from having the savings passed on to them. When the overtime ended completely at the plant I worked, it was good to spent the winter buying motorcycles that people could not cover the payments and insurance. In the spring I would sell them and make some nickles for my pocket. Lots better return than Merill Lynch.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom