• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah I actually went to 9Guns in Anderson and these two 18 year olds were trying to buy 9mm for a handgun. THe guy at the counter looked at them and smiled and said "Well I can't sell you that for your handgun but if you told me you had a highpoint 9mm or something like that you could buy it...". I didn't know what to think of that. it seems to be just skirting the law to sell something...

Why not? It's a stupid law. An 18 year old can buy ammo for a 10/22, but they can't buy for a 22/45 even though it's the same ammo. Like I said, stupid law.

Ahburns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    West Lafayette
    When I was under 18 I bought white box .40 cal ammo at Walmart. When prompted by the register, the clerk would look at my Id and ask if the ammo was for a handgun. I would say no and go about my business.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Maybe so, but it is really a ridiculous law to begin with considering 18 year olds can carry handguns in this state

not sure if this answers your question, but I know there are some ranges who sell ammo, but no guns, and k-mart stopped selling guns long before they stopped selling ammo. Not to mention private sales.

but I don't understand why they would expect anybody to sell to them if they already got turned down. Sounds like they need educated, not just turned away with no questions or anything.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Unless you claim you have a 9mm Carbine or something of the like places will sell it to you. A guy I went to college with had a 9mm rifle and did this frequently at wally world. I don't know the law of this but it got him the ammo he wanted.

My son who was 19 at the time got turned away from walmart after trying to purchase some 9mm even after he told the sales clerk it was for a hi-point 9mm carbine, not a hand gun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    not sure if this answers your question, but I know there are some ranges who sell ammo, but no guns, and k-mart stopped selling guns long before they stopped selling ammo. Not to mention private sales.

but I don't understand why they would expect anybody to sell to them if they already got turned down. Sounds like they need educated, not just turned away with no questions or anything.

Actually reminded me of a range I used to frequent when I was 19. It was on Camp Lejune, so maybe the same laws didnt apply, but we bought the ammo at the range, and rented guns there almost every weekend.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    When I was 20, I lived in Valparaiso and often visited Blythes. On several occasions, I would shoot at their range and they had no problem selling me .45acp to feed my XD.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Okay, it's 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for pistol ammo. You don't mention anything about their age except they were "teenagers" and they were turned down by another shop. And what's with mentioning that they were black? What does that have to do with anything?!? You should have asked them for some ID and if they were 18 (teenage) and said it was going to be used in a rifle you could have sold some to them. Granted that you had done the above checks you still could have refused to sell if you believed that they were going to use it in a pistol. BTW, what would you have done if it had been two "clean white teens?"

What's wrong with being descriptive? OP wasn't picking on anyone. Sick of this kind of crap. Would it make a difference if they were "dirty white teens"?

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Race has nothing to do with it. My work is accross the street from Pop Guns. My work does not sell guns or gun related items. So I had no reason to ask them for ID to verify age since my work doesn't sell anything that would require you to be 18+ to buy.

I'm confused. If your work has nothing to do with selling guns or gun-related products, why were they asking you about buying ammo?

I think a simple "I don't have a clue" would be all that was required here.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm confused. If your work has nothing to do with selling guns or gun-related products, why were they asking you about buying ammo?

I think a simple "I don't have a clue" would be all that was required here.

Your guess is as good as mine. You would be surprised of the stupid things people ask for and expect my work to have for sale.

aswbmw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    noblesville, in
    My son who was 19 at the time got turned away from walmart after trying to purchase some 9mm even after he told the sales clerk it was for a hi-point 9mm carbine, not a hand gun.

at Wal-Mart they simply get a pop up if the customer is over 21 for 9mm... On 22lr they get a pop up asking whether pistol or riflel then asks for the appropriate age for purchase. Keeps employees from having to use unavailable brain power.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Black/White, East Side/West Side, Male/Female, short/tall, skinny/fat are just descriptions. Who cares.

Should have just said "No idea". Just as you did. No reason to give them any idea that you may be a gun guy.

Top Bottom