• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    FL teen was killed by father after a piece of hot brass lands on father's neck. Dad went to flick it off his skin WITH HIS GUN HAND, STILL HOLDING THE GUN, FINGER ON THE TRIGGER!! As he flicked it off, bang, shoots/kills son behind him. Shop owner telling news that there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent this :n00b: . Such a tragedy over a skin burn. Let it burn you while you put firearm safely away THEN deal with it. That is hammered into our brains EVERY range training day. Just last week during my rifle in service I had a piece of hot .223 brass fall into my belt line, damn that hurt. But you take the burn until you secure the firearm...still have the mark.
    Father accidentally shoots, kills son at FL gun range | WISH-TV

I agree with others, it is a tragedy, but as you say, for the range owner to say it could not be avoided... by anyone? That's ridiculous. I think he was meaning to CYA his business and not try and pile on the father, but this absolutely could have been avoided, by one person specifically.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They are part of the reason why the word migraine is one of the most overused words in the English language. As someone who used to get migraines quite regularly in Middle School, it annoys the ever-living crap out of me when people talk about having migraines but then carry on doing their normal routine. Um, no, you have a headache.

Depends on what you mean by normal routine.
    I go to work with migraines. I don't get sick days. If I call off, then the few people we have get stuck with even more overtime.
    But I must upset some people. I guess when I stop the job in front of people and vomit into a can, wipe my face, and get back to work upsets them and they call the boss.
    So, you can go to work.
    But it's not easy.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sooooooo many reasons I shoot alone.

I could be Grizzley Adams with no problems at all. People suck!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm proud to say that my 11 year old sustained a decedent burn on his forearm (and he is proud of the scar) from flying brass at a 4-H Shooting Sports workshop a couple of weeks ago and maintained muzzle control. It's all in the training. If you actually treat a gun like a tool that can kill, it's amazing how your priorities straighten out.

Yeah, I suppose he's kinda wishing for the burn and a live kid instead......

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I was at midwest gun and range last week when they put a father and 4 boys in the stall next to me.

They were shooting off something full auto, had 5.56/.223 brass coming into my stall.

Packed up and promptly left. Wasn't worth the risk in my opinion.

Time before that I had some dumb brawd sweep me with a loaded ar-15. No range officer to be seen.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think I'm a hot brass magnet. I don't shoot nearly as often as wish I could but it seems I always catch some, mine or some other shooter's. I don't think I've ever allowed my reaction to cause me to do something unsafe, though. If you can't shake it loose just grit your teeth until it cools off.

Top Bottom