• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Son bought D-I-L a .357 Taurus revolver. I was not consulted pre-purchase. They fired it today for the first time and the spent rounds would not come out using the ejector rod. Like many needed a small bolt inserted and tapped with a mallet to remove. No sign of over pressure at primer pockets. Factory loads. Told them to buy some .38 spl ammo and see if the problem persisted. Has anyone else experienced this? I've not been a revolver guy so no real experience. Thinking chambers may not be as smooth as they should be

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've had problems with that, if I shot 38 special first, and then moved to 357.
    The 38s would leave residue behind.
    And the 357s are a bit longer. So the residue would make it tight.

Shooting the 357 first, then moving to the 38s helped.
    Also, bringing a small brush with and swiping the cylinder after so many rounds helps.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've had problems with that, if I shot 38 special first, and then moved to 357.
    The 38s would leave residue behind.
    And the 357s are a bit longer. So the residue would make it tight.

Shooting the 357 first, then moving to the 38s helped.
    Also, bringing a small brush with and swiping the cylinder after so many rounds helps.
    New pistol, no .38's fired. My first thought as well.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Yup
    . You may be right.

How're you holding up? Getting some time in with people I've been moved to a new facility and it's kind of like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Life just keeps getting more interesting

Yup
    . You may be right.

How're you holding up? Getting some time in with people who count?

I've transferred to a new rehab facility and it's pretty much like one flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. If I'm the only sane one here we're definitely in trouble.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Good luck with the sending it back to Taurus thing...
    I once had a revolver I sold because Taurus couldn't get it right, after two (2) trips back to them.
    Kind of in line with the old adage...one gets what one pays for and quality is not cheap!

Reactions: Leo

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I've had that happen in a Dan Wesson 44 mag when I shot hot loads for IHMSA silhouette matches. One other revolver had that issue with hot loads too. I took some Scotch Brite pads, wrapped a piece around a worn out brass bore brush and chucked it into a drill. Run that in each cylinder hole. That should correct the issue. It did for me. I did that to my 625 too, to make reloads smoother.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I've heard of several revolvers from different companies having tight cylinders, but after firing a few cylinders the problems ceased. I have a had several Taurus revolvers and have zero issues, but I know other people have had bad experiences with them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had that happen in a Dan Wesson 44 mag when I shot hot loads for IHMSA silhouette matches. One other revolver had that issue with hot loads too. I took some Scotch Brite pads, wrapped a piece around a worn out brass bore brush and chucked it into a drill. Run that in each cylinder hole. That should correct the issue. It did for me. I did that to my 625 too, to make reloads smoother.
    What causes this? Not polished enough?
    My Ruger lcrx was like that I did what you did -the scotch bright. I used chore boy copper on an old brush and in a drill. It seemed to clear it up as well

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The cylinders I had issues with did not look really rough, but they were not smooth enough to let the brass with hot loads extract easily. I'm sure most cylinders are not polished from the factory, but there may be some tool marks that are not obvious that could cause this issue. Polishing should correct this in most cases, unless there is another problem like the chambers being too tight.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My S&W 617 cylinder got very sticky with certain brands of ammo. It was bad enough that I had concerns about bending the ejector rod. I had a guy clean up the holes with a hone and all is good with it now.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I’d shoot a couple 3 boxes through it and see if it “breaks in” if not send it back and have them check it.

That said I know some that have maybe had bad luck with Taurus (I can’t help but think some is exaggerated and most bad stories are regurgitated by people that never had the issue themselves) I have had Rugers and S&W a Colt revolver from the early 1990’s and a SIG have to get sent back to the factory it happens.

Taurus is making improvements and they have brought over Cody Osborn formerly of Walther (Walther defense with all the top trainers) and Caleb Giddings. They I believe have the vision to make improvements. I spent some time talking to Caleb Giddings at the NRA meetings. Very personable polite and generous guy. And he knows revolvers!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    The cylinders I had issues with did not look really rough, but they were not smooth enough to let the brass with hot loads extract easily. I'm sure most cylinders are not polished from the factory, but there may be some tool marks that are not obvious that could cause this issue. Polishing should correct this in most cases, unless there is another problem like the chambers being too tight.
    I have done exactly this also, Polishing with Semichrome polish on a cotton patch wrapped around a mop. Chucked in my drill.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've had issues with Taurus Revolvers in the past, but those have all been related to timing, not the problem you describe. I will say that their warranty process was a bit of a headache (cost me almost as much in time and shipping as the gun was worth to send it back and then go pick it up from the depot because Taurus never notified me they were returning it, and I wasn't home to receive it) and they ultimately didn't really resolve the problem. Were it my gun, I'd definitely try polishing the chambers first before considering sending it back for service.

Top Bottom