• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rfyockey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Lucasville
    I am less than impressed by their "fantastic plastic" guns.
    I do like their steel offerings, but I've had a couple of the poly-guns they've produced and got rid of them in short order.
    WAAAAY too much trigger take up for my liking, and they just feel like toys.

I own a PT99 and a PT1911 as well as several of their revolvers and I like them a lot.
    Just can't warm up to the plasti-crap.

Ditto and not just Taurus ‘plastic guns’. I’ve moved back to metal hammer fired pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    At this point, with more companies producing magazines that are incredibly capacity-efficient, I have to wonder:
    are we going to see 18+ round capacity flush-fit mags in a Glock 19-sized gun soon? 20+ rounds in a Glock 17? Will this be the new mainstream magazine design in pistols?
    Or, is this magazine efficiency thing limited to the smaller-sized guns and mags?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    At this point, with more companies producing magazines that are incredibly capacity-efficient, I have to wonder:
    are we going to see 18+ round capacity flush-fit mags in a Glock 19-sized gun soon? 20+ rounds in a Glock 17? Will this be the new mainstream magazine design in pistols?
    Or, is this magazine efficiency thing limited to the smaller-sized guns and mags?
    Improvement will depend on the original space efficiency of the magazine, material choice of the magazine (plastic is thicker than metal), improved spring technology, and improved follower design. There are probably small gains to be made in most guns, but it just depends on the characteristics and specific circumstances in play.

The Steyr GB of the 1980s was a full size 9mm that took metal, double stack, flush fit 18rd magazines. That's one more round than the Glock's polymer 17rd magazine. It's going to be hard to get much more than that.

Standard flush fit 1911 45acp magazines now carry 8 rounds instead of 7 rounds and the ones for compact 1911s now carry 7 instead of 6. So improvements are not limited to smaller-sized guns and mags.

Last edited:

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Taurus has an interesting history. A friend of mine has one their stainless wheelguns that is very high quality.
    Always good to have more players in the arena especially for the consumer.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Improvement will depend on the original space efficiency of the magazine, material choice of the magazine (plastic is thicker than metal), improved spring technology, and improved follower design. There are probably small gains to be made in most guns, but it just depends on the characteristics and specific circumstances in play.

The Steyr GB of the 1980s was a full size 9mm that took metal, double stack, flush fit 18rd magazines. That's one more round than the Glock's polymer 17rd magazine. It's going to be hard to get much more than that.

Standard flush fit 1911 45acp magazines now carry 8 rounds instead of 7 rounds and the ones for compact 1911s now carry 7 instead of 6. So improvements are not limited to smaller-sized guns and mags.
    I could see Shield Arms who makes the metal mags for the Glock 48/43x coming out with something eventually for the larger Glocks. However, they would have to be able to supply their current products they have and as said above determine if the gains (how many rounds would they be able to really add) they could add would be differentiator enough to entice buyers to make it economically viable for them to do so. They would also have to overcome that folks have a large number of OEM mags, and that for best performance one should really use their metal magazine release as well I believe.

I have no experience with the Shield Arms stuff so if I'm talking out of turn someone correct me.

That said, on a Glock 17 for example, I'm not sure it would be worth it to me to gain a couple/few rounds to switch to a metal mag which would presumably not be able to take the same beating a polymer shelled magazine can.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I could see Shield Arms who makes the metal mags for the Glock 48/43x coming out with something eventually for the larger Glocks. However, they would have to be able to supply their current products they have and as said above determine if the gains (how many rounds would they be able to really add) they could add would be differentiator enough to entice buyers to make it economically viable for them to do so. They would also have to overcome that folks have a large number of OEM mags, and that for best performance one should really use their metal magazine release as well I believe.
    I have no experience with the Shield Arms stuff so if I'm talking out of turn someone correct me.
    That said, on a Glock 17 for example, I'm not sure it would be worth it to me to gain a couple/few rounds to switch to a metal mag which would presumably not be able to take the same beating a polymer shelled magazine can.
    I know a couple of guys who have the Shield Arms 15-round magazines for their Glock 43x (1 magazine each)...and one says his magazine functions best with just 14 rounds in it where as the other guy says his functions best with just 13 rounds in it...either way, they both claim it's better than their OEM 10 round magazine.

Top Bottom