• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikestripe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    seymour,in.
    I was looking for a 357 magnum in 4''. The only 4'' I can find locally is a Taurus. Anyone have any experience with one, are they reliable and are they good shooters. Any thoughts would be great, I really want a wheel gun.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't think anyone would say a Taurus is the equal of a K-frame, but I think most people consider them to be good enough, at least.

I've heard of some issues with the advance mechanism on some older models (1990s), but I think their newer models are pretty sound.

Disclaimer: I'm regurgitating what I've heard because I have no firsthand experience relevant to this thread, but still wanted to post.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Walk away and hold out for a Ruger or a Smith. You will thank me later especially if you intend on shooting it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I briefly owned one of the titanium framed ones. Won it in a raffle. I really liked it, shoulda kept it but my brother in law wanted one really bad. The trigger didn't suck, but I wouldn't call it good either. I'd have had it worked on if I kept it. I have a Taurus 44mag with a ported 4 inch barrel that I love but it's an older one.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've had my Taurus .357 for many a year and it's one of my favourites. Always will be. Works great and goes bang when it's supposed to. Still as tight as the day I bought it. I'd have no qualms about buying another or recommending one to anybody.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    Taurus and S&W, I own both and I like both. They are a solid built handgun, unless of course your a snob.;)

I agree with snowwalker on his point above.

I own both S&W and Taurus wheel guns. I hunt with my Taurus Raging Bull .454 casull and I have never had any problems with it...even took an 8 pt buck at 50 yards.

I also own a K frame model 66...nearly identical to the S&W model 66's. Mine is the older 90's model 66 and was probably built off the same S&W dies. For a blue model 4" K-frame revolver, it is a classic and sharp looking revolver. The wood grips are really nice with square bottom. I did find a pair of rubber Taurus OEM grips as another option.

Buy Taurus revolvers with confidence. I have heard stories about their automatics but I never experienced any problems with their model 99 (similar to Beretta 92 series).

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    What's the model number?

I've been following Taurus since the 1980's, and owned two. Some models I would recommend, which one are you considering?...

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Taurus revolver

I own a Taurus model 65 with 3" barrel. Its an equal to K frame SW. Its a fantastic revolver. Taurus usually has a strong trigger spring. Around 13 pounds. I had a new trigger spring installed and it a great handgun. It not for sale ever......

Even better is a Stainless Ruger G36 model Speed Six 357 with 2 3/4 inch barrel. I don't think its gets better then this. Maybe a Security Six model would be close.

Then my 3RD choice would be a K frame SW with 3" bull barrel.

Last one would be a Ruger GP100.

You can't go wrong with any of these.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    taurus revolvers

Just saw a used Taurus 357 w/4" Bbl at Gander Mountain in Castleton for 199.00. Good looking revolver for the price. I would have bought it myself if I didn't already more than I need.

srandrews80

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Plainfield
    I had a taurus tracker .357 6 inch ported barrel. Very accurate and fun to shoot unfortunatly my dad really wanted it so i sold it to him. It was a great gun though never had any problems with it.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I have a Taurus raging bull in 44mag. I have never had any issues with it, it is very accurate and fires every time I pull the trigger. It is just as good a shooter as my S&W.

I also had a Tauras 357 magnum. I went shooting it with my dad, he loved it so I gave it to him. He has no issues and shoots it all the time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Model 605 Stainless 2" barrel 5-shot .327 Federal Magnum
    Model 605 Titanium 2" barrel 5-shot .357 magnum
    Model 607 Blue 4" ported barrel 7-shot .357 magnum
    Judge "Ultra-Lite" 4" barrel 5-shot .45Colt/.410ga.
    Raging Bull Brushed Stainless 8 3/8" ported barrel 5-shot .45Colt/.454 Casull
    PT99 Blue 5" barrel 17 round 9mm

The newest of these is no more than 2 years old with no more than 75 rounds through it. The oldest is more than 20 years old, with more than 3000 rounds through it.

I've not had the first problem with any of them.

Top Bottom