• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have two Tapco AK mags that I am having trouble with. When I purchased my WASR they came with it and have no problem snapping in. A couple months ago I picked up an Aarsenal SLR-95, when I took it out I used steel mags and it ran wonderfully. This past weekend I just happened to try the TAPCO mags which will not snap in no matter how hard I try. Also, they do not seem to like my Zastava AK pistol. I can get them to snap in, but it takes a lot more force then I believe should be necessary.

Are the TAPCO mags poor quality or should I attempt to modify them? I'm not real thrilled on having mags that will only work with a particular gun 1 out of 3. If I reach in and grab a mag I want to know that it will function flawlessly.

What would INGO recommend?

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    tapcos suck something awful. The only thing worse is promag.

In order of favorites, i run bulgy ((10)), UsPalm, and steel. The Polymer mags (UsPalm/((10)) ) will generally be a mil or so thicker so if metals are tight you may have issues. You can easily fix your tapco mags with some sandpaper and a file. IF the sides are tight, just lightly sand them until the mag slides in effortlessly. If you have to crank the **** out of the tapco mag to lock it in, flip the mag upside down and file the bottom of the rear lug . Yes you'll be making your magazine somewhat weaker but it better than filing the mag catch on your gun to run bad mags when good mags lock up fine.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    tapcos suck something awful. The only thing worse is promag.

In order of favorites, i run bulgy ((10)), UsPalm, and steel. The Polymer mags (UsPalm/((10)) ) will generally be a mil or so thicker so if metals are tight you may have issues. You can easily fix your tapco mags with some sandpaper and a file. IF the sides are tight, just lightly sand them until the mag slides in effortlessly. If you have to crank the **** out of the tapco mag to lock it in, flip the mag upside down and file the bottom of the rear lug . Yes you'll be making your magazine somewhat weaker but it better than filing the mag catch on your gun to run bad mags when good mags lock up fine.

2nded on all the above. I had to sand the begeezus' out of a Tapco mag (sides and locking lug) before it'd fit in my WASR. Then the thing wouldn't feed properly and the follower seemed to stick in the body every 4-6 rounds, requiring a sharp rap to advance it.

Don't think you'd want to modify your $800 rifle for a $10 magazine. I'd think you could 1) Toss the Tapco's in a classifieds thread for some stamped surplus steel mags or 2) Have a dedicated set up for just your WASR (though I agree 100% interchangeability would be preferable).

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    I have a few as well. No problem with mine. I have a Polish AKMS Underfolder. The only thing I have notice is with the steel mags in loaded or unloaded. I have no mag wobble but when I put in the Tapcos. Then I have wobble. No problems though. Shots just just fine.

Top Bottom