• ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yeah you see a TON of those in Canada and Michigan

its a long complicated reason. But because of frozen ground under roads, they often have insanely low axle loading laws in Canada and Northern states. Plus some screwy Ontario bridge limit laws, and different (much heavier) load limits in Canada.

So to enable normal loads, they just load them full of axles.

Is it the frozen ground that’s limiting? I always assumed it was the thawing that was the problem.

Kind of like it’s not the falling that hurts, it’s the landing.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Is it the frozen ground that’s limiting? I always assumed it was the thawing that was the problem.

Kind of like it’s not the falling that hurts, it’s the landing.
    Im not sure. Actually. Not a road engineer.

But I know that some placed reduce axle weights by 35% during certain colder months.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    You'll see these in Michigan and Northern Indiana. As BigTanker said and knows firsthand, fuel, milk, fertilizer, any number of bulk commodities that can exceed typical maximum weight capacity. Indiana recently upped the weight limit but may not have been statewide or else just not as common once you get into central and southern Indiana. I have started seeing more tridem trailers than I recall before so even hoppers, vans and reefers are probably benefitting from higher weight limits. The big question - will they put more money towards highway maintenance or are they just going to continue letting our highways deteriorate until we're absolutely worst roads in the nation.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Im not sure. Actually. Not a road engineer.

But I know that some placed reduce axle weights by 35% during certain colder months.
    In Michigan, "Seasonal weigh restriction" aka Frost Laws are twice a year. When night temps dip under 30° and day temps say above 40. So it's usually only a month of so in early winter and early spring.

It is the freezing/thawing that ruins the roads.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Indiana recently upped the weight limit but may not have been statewide or else just not as common once you get into central and southern Indiana.
    From what I understand, just about any state road can be permitted. The permit is per route, per truck, per year. It costs $20.

We were down in the Indy area making sure the trucks can fit into some of the terminals and stations.

And as to not seeing many 80,000+ pound capable trailers, equipment is a major issue. The trailers are very expensive and take about a while to build.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Like this?

View attachment 199128

I'm guessing you spotted a milk tanker leaving Fair Oaks headed to Coopersville, MI. They have a few more axles, usually 9 on the trailer, than what I drive above. In Michigan, they max out at 170,000ish IIRC. I'm not sure what their permitted weight is in Indiana. We are maxed at 120,000 pounds under the new weight rules in IN.

Look close at my picture. You'll see the trailer axles #1, 2 and 6 are off of the ground. They are tag/liftable axles. When we turn anything over an on ramp, they are lifted.

We still have tire scrub, enough that was can't run re-caps on those axles, but not as bad as you'd think.
    It was all axles with either the same or a bit smaller gap between the front trailer axle and the rear truck axle. It was on the far north end of I65 and he exited 1 stop before getting on the toll road. FWIW it looked to me in the few seconds I was looking that all the axles were on the ground.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It was all axles with either the same or a bit smaller gap between the front trailer axle and the rear truck axle. It was on the far north end of I65 and he exited 1 stop before getting on the toll road. FWIW it looked to me in the few seconds I was looking that all the axles were on the ground.
    I’ve seen something like what your describing in the Monon Reynolds area, a few more axles than BT’s picture. We met at a RR crossing and it was just a solid line of axles crossing.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    you forgot purple…
    Not sure where you’re coming from on that, there will be a lot more 28 moving when we can get in the fields and do something. Local co ops only have so much storage and if a guy depends on 28 for his complete nitrogen needs they’ll apply probably 50 gallons per acre. That’s around a semi load for every 90-125 acres. That’s a lot of trucks.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Not sure where you’re coming from on that, there will be a lot more 28 moving when we can get in the fields and do something. Local co ops only have so much storage and if a guy depends on 28 for his complete nitrogen needs they’ll apply probably 50 gallons per acre. That’s around a semi load for every 90-125 acres. That’s a lot of trucks.
    No I understand that part, my reference was the the “stop raining” part cause I’m starting to wonder if it’s ever going to stop!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Most likely a milk hauler.

We were running out of Rensselaer and up 65 to 94 into Michigan

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Were you near Michigan? Michigan is slightly (in)famous for their "caterpillar trucks". Large number of axles to minimize road surface loading.

And their roads still suck.

Top Bottom