Taking a handgun on vacation...Should I check it on the plane or ship it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Going on vacation later this year to Florida and I want to take my handgun. I've read up on the state laws and I'm fine on that part. My question is should I take it on the plane as a checked bag or ship it to myself at my destination?
    Mostly just concerned with checking it on the plane. Worried about getting hassled and missing my flight or something because thats the kind of luck I have...ALWAYS
    I've talked to the airline and they gave me the details on how to go about it and were very friendly, but you never know how the person I deal with on the day of my flight will act.
    I know its legal to ship it to myself, it may cost a little more but may be easier.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    Personally if I had to fly and could check it in I would do that. You would have it on your person when you left the airport. I don't know that you could check in ammo along with it though. I used to have to go to Tampa frequently and would just make the drive in about 13 hrs. Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida all reciprocate (or did when I was making the drive)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would check it with the airline.That way your gun stays with you all the time (well in the cargo) and you are less likely to lose it.
    Just get to the airport way in advance to make sure you have enough time to do all that.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Personally if I had to fly and could check it in I would do that. You would have it on your person when you left the airport. I don't know that you could check in ammo along with it though. I used to have to go to Tampa frequently and would just make the drive in about 13 hrs. Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida all reciprocate (or did when I was making the drive)

Anybody know if this is still valid as it relates to Indiana LTC in the states listed above?

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I've checked before, and as long as you follow the instructions you'll be okay.

Now if you don't.... I have a friend who travels a lot and checks his gun. He made a serious mistake not long ago and left an extra magazine in his carry on bag. He had a CCW, or otherwise he thinks he would have been arrested. They pulled his checked bag off the plane and searched it, but they let him go on his way. He was at the airport early so he didn't miss his flight. They did report him to the FBI for the incident, but so far nothing has happened (that he knows of).

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    The last time I checked a gun it had to be in a locked hard case inside your luggage. The ammo can be in the same luggage but separate from the firearm. Make sure the weapon is empty. You might be asked to prove that it is empty.

jdorp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Actually, i hear checking a firearm has an added bonus. TSA searches your bag in front of you and the seals your bag with tamper evident tape and the TSA is no allowed to search your bag again while it is out of your site, so nothing can be "bar rowed" from your bag.

I have heard journalists with expensive video equipment use this trick to protect their investment.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Mostly just concerned with checking it on the plane. Worried about getting hassled and missing my flight or something because thats the kind of luck I have...ALWAYS
    I've talked to the airline and they gave me the details on how to go about it and were very friendly, but you never know how the person I deal with on the day of my flight will act.

I've checked guns through at IND four times in the past two years and haven't had a problem, not even the time I flew out to the CTC Midnight 3-gun match in Oregon and the inside of my Pelican case was stocked like I was off to join the hunt for Al Qaeda.

Once, the guy who checked my pistol case was all "Cool! I have a 22/45 just like that that I shoot steel matches with!"

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Be ready to show the agent the firearm is unloaded and separate from ammo...no curbside check in! Stay safe and enjoy the Sunshine State

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    That is interesting. I went to Jacksonville in Oct. and didn't do my homework ahead of time. Didn't think checking was even an option. Looked into shipping, but couldn't read between the lines. Ended up going naked. Not such a good thing in the ghettos of a new city.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Locked in a hard sided case or placed inside luggage that is locked. EX....your Glock box inside a locked suitcase. If TSA needs to contact you reguarding your firearm they will contact you.

Make sure your firearm is UNLOADED and DECLARED to the airlines at the ticket counter. They will give you a form to add to your luggage that has the weapon inside. The declaration states the weapon has been declared and is UNLOADED.

If a TSA officer needs to inspect your firearm for any reason, they will contact you during security or at the gate. No big deal.

Ammunition must be packaged in its original box, or a plastic container, or in a magazine seperate from the weapon IN A MAGAZINE POUCH designed for your magazine, No loose ammunition, or loaded firearms allowed in checked baggage.

Please no firearms, magazines, ammunition in your carry on baggage or person unless authorized.

PS Do not fly into (or out of ) JFK or NY Laguardia Apts with a firearm no matter what your vacation or travell plans are.

Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    Great topic. I have never taken my sidearm with me on vacation, never really thought there was "that option" . Thanks for the information

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I'll definitely be checking it with the airline. Every time I've flown before I was going to New Jersey, I new better than to take a hand gun there.
    Thanks for all the great info!

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    The TSA and the airlines will make sure that your checked luggage gets where you are going. That's one great thing about flying with a gun in checked luggage. No lost luggage.

Top Bottom