• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    one gun is being handed to my wife the other is being brought out for myself as I look to see if I can back up. If I can back up the case is closed. If not I'm doing all I can to slow them down and identify that object. (Hi-beams to the eyes.)

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Lock the doors, back up and try to drive away. If I can't...

Lock the doors, dial 911, draw my weapon and keep it in my hand, but down next to the console.

Forgot, edit: I forgot that a carjacking is like breaking into the house...but my answer still stands.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    This event, identical, actually happened to me. I was young with no firearm. I took a punch to the face and calmy told the assailant I would ask him one time only not to hit me again. His friends grabbed him and they took off... Could have been a worse outcome

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Draw my G19 while I'm putting my car in reverse and floor it trying to get somewhere where there are other people. Once I'm there make sure the car is locked. Assess the situation if they are still coming for me call the cops.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    JimFloyd,
    I'll suggest the the fine scenarios you've provided and multiple comments from INGOers would have added value with your comments and feedback. As you noted, your comments wouldn't define the only correct response, but they would certainly be an interesting comparison.
    Thanks

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    JimFloyd,
    I'll suggest the the fine scenarios you've provided and multiple comments from INGOers would have added value with your comments and feedback. As you noted, your comments wouldn't define the only correct response, but they would certainly be an interesting comparison.
    Thanks

Hi JR50:

My adding comments comes at a risk. A part of TDGs is that the "instructor" remains outside the discussion other than to ask thought provoking questions. I have refrained from even doing that in fear that people would either misinterpret my comments and intent (as has already happened in the "Wounded Warrior" scenario when I broke my own rule) or might, in some way, result in people no longer participating in the scenarios.

So, perhaps the best way to approach this is to say that I, as always, would be he happy to answer specific questions you or other folks may have.

Regards,

Jim

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Hi JR50:

My adding comments comes at a risk. A part of TDGs is that the "instructor" remains outside the discussion other than to ask thought provoking questions. I have refrained from even doing that in fear that people would either misinterpret my comments and intent (as has already happened in the "Wounded Warrior" scenario when I broke my own rule) or might, in some way, result in people no longer participating in the scenarios.

So, perhaps the best way to approach this is to say that I, as always, would be he happy to answer specific questions you or other folks may have.

Regards,

Jim

OK Jim,
    That's reasonable

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Put my truck in park...

Flip on my brights.....

Get out with a BIG GRIN on my face and say "Boy you sure got a pretty mouth, I'm glad you boys stopped."

By the way I am 6'1" 285 lbs and sorta look like an escaped con.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Hi JR50:

Regards,

Jim
    Maybe give a timeframe before you'll comment, say 72hrs. After such time, offer suggestions, critiques, or just throw more fuel on the fire by asking those thought provoking questions. I'm sure there are some folks that wouldn't appreciate their response being questioned, but in the end, none of us can ever have enough knowledge.

"Wounded Warrior" gave us, well me anyway, a couple tips, whether they were enumerated in the thread or not.

1. The 'instructor' can't read minds. A lot of people, myself included, skipped over the part where we make sure that we're at a higher level of consciousness than the BG. In our responses, we need to not leave out details.

2. Visualization of the scenario is key. I did better on "Road Rage" because of this. My wife and I actually managed to get to a movie on Valentine's day, and left around the time indicated in the TDG. That provided me details such as a full parking lot and using my headlights to see better/blind the BG.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I have a question that I think falls in line with this, sorta

Years ago, I had a guy tailgate me very closely on an interstate to get me to speed up (I assume). I was in the left lane passing slower traffic doing 70 (speed limit was 65 back then, I think) but the old truck was just about limited out. After we got by the right lane traffic, I moved over to let him by. But he didn't want by then. He was ready to fight. He was gesturing and madder than a wet hen, wanting me to pull over. He was weaving towards me both in aggression and from waving, gesturing, and basically not paying attention to driving.

Oh, this was before cell phones.

He was serious about wanting to fight, obviously. I wasn't about to pull over (I was barely staying on time for an appointment) but he was really getting aggressive. We were starting to block/slow traffic, so slowing down more wasn't much of an option. Plus I was getting pretty mad myself.

What I did was to look directly at him, and lay my holstered handgun on the dash while he was looking back. (I'm left handed and had taken it off to drive. It was a snap on belt holster, and I usually kept the gun holstered that way) That got his attention. He flipped me off one more time, then sped off. We were close enough to the exit I needed (and he took) that I kept going to the next exit and was late for my meeting.

That said, when faced with two guys walking towards you acting aggressively, as the original scenario plays, would laying the firearm on the dash be appropriate, or considered brandishing and likely to cause escalation in the situation? I've always wondered if what I did wasn't the smartest thing, and I just lucked out of a running gunfight.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Switch on the reds and blues in the grill and watch their faces turn from pi$$ed to holy $hit did we pick the wrong one to Pi$$ with this time. Smile and laugh at them as they una$$ the area. I just love doing that. I would probably follow them for a while just to mess with their heads.

Really now, I think a well executed "J" turn would work nicely here. And mash on the "loud pedal" Bye Bye.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    One hand under the conceal garment, gun gripped but not drawn, and advise my girl to get in the car and lock the dor. What I do next depends on whether he slows down at the bumper (indicating he wants to yell, or needs to work up his courage a little more) or whether he continues a fast and aggressive approach (or raises the hand with the unidentified object in it). In the former case, I try to diffuse the situation verbally. In the latter, he gets drawn on as soon as he takes a step past the bumper.

Top Bottom