West Lafayette, IN
    Switching my carry gun from...

SIG 229R - .40 Cal
    n13743722_44171182_7528.jpg

carrygun.jpg

To.... ( just for the winter )

XD Sub-Compact (16+1) 9mm
    subcompact.jpg

The price was too good to pass up especially with the deal for 2 free extra magazines. Walked out the door at 479 for the gun, 2 mags, speed loader, holster, and dual mag holder with another 2 mags in the mail for free.

I've been wanting a carry gun that was a little bit smaller for a couple reasons.

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Do all the XD's have the back-grip safety?

Yup. Really nice thing about this Sub-Compact is that extension. It takes a full mag with that extension on and allows my hand to have a full grip. ( fingers hanging off without it ) So I can choose to go small, or full. Good for a guy like me with bigger hands. I dunno how people carry LCP's and Kel-Tec's. I tried shooting my friends LCP and was uncomfortable with the lack of grip I had.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Yup. Really nice thing about this Sub-Compact is that extension. It takes a full mag with that extension on and allows my hand to have a full grip. ( fingers hanging off without it ) So I can choose to go small, or full. Good for a guy like me with bigger hands. I dunno how people carry LCP's and Kel-Tec's. I tried shooting my friends LCP and was uncomfortable with the lack of grip I had.

I'd buy a XD if it wasn't for that safety. :dunno:

Thought about getting one and adding a grip of some sort that would hold it down or something. I think it makes the gun ugly in a sense.

Looks great as you have it pictured, but the safety kills it.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    When it is in your hand you don't see the grip safety you only see the sights. Many people buy them because they have the grip safety, makes it one of the safest guns out there.

I have seen them polished and that adds some accent to the gun.

Great choice on a carry gun Ruiner. I have been eyeing those myself. Reps for choosing one of the best.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    XDs haven't been around that much longer than that, have they??
    They were first produced as the HS2000 in 1999, Springfield Armory got the rights to them in 2002, and I bought my first one in 2004.

I probably would have ended up with a Glock if I hadn't seen the XD.

I figure I'm like a kid who played baseball with a broomstick and a rolled up ball of tape and enjoyed it, but then find out that it's a lot better with a baseball, a bat, and a glove.

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    I am sure you will like it, I have had an XD tactical and XDM both are really nice handguns. I never had a problem with mine I liked the safety on the back of the grip makes for a safe firearm.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Did you just make fun of a Glock, cce1302?
    It's all in fun. Like 1911 guys, Glock guys sometimes forget there have been valid designs made after the creation of their baby. I take it on myself to remind them of this. :alcoholic:I don't know what this smiley means, but I just saw it, so I had to use it. Drinking Koolaid?

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    The XD's look nice. From a practical standpoint I like the idea of a grip safety over a thumb safety. I'd have to try one to fully support your shift but for now I'm staying with GLOCK (did I put that in CAPS? CCE1302 is right it is all in good fun) You opened a can of worms with the change from .40 to 9mm........... The 9mm lets you carry more. Do they have a full sized XD in .380?

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I think I would do the opposite and use the .40 for winter and the 9 for summer. The debate can go on for ever but with people wearing heavy clothing during the winter it increases the chance of clothing clogging up a 9's hollow point and causing it not to expand if one needs it to during a SD scenario.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Glock guys sometimes forget there have been valid designs made after the creation of their baby. I take it on myself to remind them of this.
    As a Glock guy, I think there are valid designs since a Glock. However, I have not seen ones with as few parts and high as reliability for the same money. I might have to pick up an XD just to compare. Although, I really enjoyed shooting a couple thousand rounds through a Sig 229, so if he upgraded to an XD from that, it has to be pretty good. :D

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I prefer FMJ for winter.... Penetration is key when theres layers of clothes in the way. Isnt that why or military uses FMJ?

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have been a 45 fan since I became a pistol shooter. My first was a Colt 45 1911. I bought a XD45C when they came out and it became my carry pistol. I love to shoot that XD.
    I have been thinking of getting a XD9SC and even took my wife to try it, but it was just a little wide for her small hand. Let me know how well the XD9SC shoots when you get it to the range.

Top Bottom