• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We switched from Sprint to T-Mobile 5ish years ago, zero complaints.

We've thought about switching to someone else but I refuse to pay more than necessary for a damn cell phone...so T-Mobile it is!

I think we're at $120ish a month for two phones.
    We hopped on Sprint's Kickstart program so we pay $80/month for two phones. Sprint was bought out by T-Mobile and merged almost 2 years ago and the plan stayed.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I think that your location and how one uses their phone is very important in selecting a carrier. A few years ago, I tried Cricket using ATT. Despite having an ATT tower 1.5 miles to the north of me, the iphone lost all reception inside my house. I would have to restart the phone and go outside to get a signal. I kept the service for five days, and using their return policy I retuned the phone and cancelled the service. I bought another iphone, went with TracFone,
    which, in my case, uses Verizon, I purchased a plan with an annual one time payment of $217, including all taxes and fees I have unlimited talk and text and get 1 GB of data per month. All works well for me. As I mentioned it comes down to location and how one uses the phone, and I know this plan would’t work for everyone, but it is an option.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm in the position now where I'm leaving my job and need to get a phone. Verizon is what we use and it's been fine for me but pricing the same plan out with them vs T-Mobile or Mint mobile is very different. I'm fine with slowing down a partner carrier which I guess is how I'd describe Mint on T-mobile's network.

How do you think you'll like the bonuses you get with T-mobile? Tickets, AAA, auto rentals, hotels? It seems like that's a small portion of what the extra cost goes to per month but if you use it, worth it.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    How do you think you'll like the bonuses you get with T-mobile? Tickets, AAA, auto rentals, hotels? It seems like that's a small portion of what the extra cost goes to per month but if you use it, worth it.

I think those are only on the higher end plans. We have a basic plan (that's now discontinued), with none of the frills, just unlimited everything.

I can use our corporate rate on car rentals and hotels....I think I have about 35 free Hilton nights in points, so those don't interest me, but it doesn't get them to stop trying to make me switch plans...

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington
    How do you like them? My contract with ATT is up in a couple months and I am leaning towards Mint.
    Reception isn't as great at work but otherwise it's fine. For what I'm paying, I can't really complain.

I think mint (and other companies) will give you a trial period where you can see how your signal is. If you have your own unlocked phone, it's pretty easy to try a couple of companies for a bit at a time to see which one you like before committing.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This seems a pretty good description of the lay of the land in cellular phones. You do get what you pay for. There is nothing wrong with cheap carriers, but don’t think it is exactly the same as on from the network owners.

However, it's important to remember there are currently only a few major nationwide carriers in the U.S. - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Dish Wireless. Any plan you purchase in the US that claims nationwide access will be on one of these carriers.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Understanding Unlimited Data Plan Restrictions​

Unlimited high-speed cellular data plans are in high demand for the mobile community, who would like to affordably use hundreds of GBs of data a month.

While all of the carriers proudly advertise unlimited data plans, they have redefined the term “unlimited” to try to find a balance between capacity and consumer desire.

These days 'unlimited' basically just means no automatic overage charges.
    Unfortunately, that means "unlimited" plans come with limitations and gotchas.

The most typical restriction on unlimited plans is the practice of slowing down speeds delivered - either always, or after a specific point of usage. Sometimes, unlimited high-speed data is only provided for certain activities.

Understanding terms like throttling, network/congestion management policies, mobile hotspot restrictions, video resolution, and fair use policies is critical to understanding if a plan will work for you.

We have an entire guide that dives into this topic:

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Been with ATT since 93. Getting ready to switch to either Pure Talk or Patriot Mobile. Interested to hear if any have experience with them.
    Had Pure Talk for about two years and haven't had any problems with them. Pay $91 a month for four lines, 3 at 4 GB and one at 8. Parents and wife both mostly are home so don't need a lot of data...use wifi.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    How do you like them? My contract with ATT is up in a couple months and I am leaning towards Mint.
    We had Mint for about a year. Great for the price, but I never could get signal down by Dugger or even in places in Attica. Gave up on Mint and for just a bit more went with Visible--still 'unlimited' data, but through Verizon's towers--for whatever reason, way, way cheaper than unlimited actually through Verizon. Now I have signal pretty much any/everywhere I go. The 5g isn't quite as fast as it was on Mint, but the 4g coverage out in the less populated parts of the state is WAY better.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've been getting sick of Verizon suddenly deciding I'd used up my 5g of data after a 4 a.m. recount, so I tried mint. The price is great, but the service sucks out here in cornfieldistan. I guess I'll take my phone back to one of the Verizon secondaries

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We had Mint for about a year. Great for the price, but I never could get signal down by Dugger or even in places in Attica. Gave up on Mint and for just a bit more went with Visible--still 'unlimited' data, but through Verizon's towers--for whatever reason, way, way cheaper than unlimited actually through Verizon. Now I have signal pretty much any/everywhere I go. The 5g isn't quite as fast as it was on Mint, but the 4g coverage out in the less populated parts of the state is WAY better.

With the understanding I'm just parroting what I was told and don't know if it's true: Verizon rolled out into more rural areas in a big way when 4G was the current hot new thing and got the best network in the vast majority of rural areas. T-mobile lagged behind in investing in their network, but when they did dump a bunch of money in to it, it was 5G time.

So, *supposedly* you have a better chance of getting good reception on a Verizon 4G network in rural areas but a better chance with T-mobile if you are on 5G.

What is confirmed to be true is T-mobile has a partnership with SpaceX to put the equivalent of cell towers in space via allowing cell connection with SpaceX's low earth orbit satellites. It's probably still 2-5 years out from full commerical roll out, but they've been working on it for awhile now. The first phase is supposed to allow text messaging from anywhere in the US you can see the sky. Honestly, that's a big deal for me. I'm in areas with no cell coverage at all reasonably often and rely on someone back home to call me in as missing if I don't hit certain communication checks. (If you don't hear from me by X time on Y day, call for help and have them look for me in this area)

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Last summer up here in the Great white north T-Mobile had zero service for a week straight. Their only answer was to restart the phones until they worked.
    Friends cam to visit for about a week from Detroit. They have T-Mobile also, they couldn't get service until they were back home.
    In valpo once you leave down town there is ZERO signal for tmobile, had them for 48 hours before i had to go back to Verizon with my tail between my legs!

Then tmobile wouldn't refund my money for first month prepaid, also tried to charge a cancelation fee with no contract and a 25% restocking fee on the phones even though the gimmick was try it free for 30 days money back guarantee.

Last edited:

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    If you are much north of Terre Haute up to almost Layfayette, along the west edge of the state, something that uses ATT towers seems to be your best play. There are a few sizeable "little white dots" on verizon's big red map. I tried Mint a couple times, tried to like it. loved the price, but when I was commuting up 63 to Danville IL, a lot of that is no service for Tmobile MVNOs, and a very little bit of service even with Tmo proper.
    Cricket had decent customer service, cheaper than ATT, but still a little high. Their dedicated hotspot plans are great though. (currently getting 100GB for $55). Have used RedPocket on ATT towers for several years. CS is essentially chat only, but ok. Can't beat the price 10GB/ w/ hotspot, Unlimited Talk and Text for about $300 per year each line.

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington
    Yeah there are plenty of mvno companies out there, the trick is finding one that uses the carrier you need for the best service. After that you can roll in the savings, or better yet, but more guns/ammo

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was a longtime Verizon customer, and switched to T-Mobile several years ago simply because I could get the same coverage and service for a significantly lower price.
    I've never regretted it.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Those that are on secondary mobile company plans need to realize you are using 1 of the 4 major carriers service tower still and should find out which it is. I have used all but t-mobile service in the past. My daughter had t-mobile and only had service within any city. Verizon was the best back in the early to mid 2000s and just went down hill from there sprint/nextel was so hit and miss just like t-mobile...att had alot of dead spots but got so much better as time went on. Late 2010 Verizon got bad with drop calls and such, so i left them and the old flip phone behine for straight talk using AT&T towers. Was good but couple years with them, service became terrible with straight talks phone settings. Dropped them for cricket for 3 phones at $90 a month with 10gb of data. The problem with secondary carriers is that everyone else has priority over you when it comes to data use, so if you have internet at home...make sure you're connected to home wifi.

Top Bottom