• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    First off I couldn't quite decide where this should be posted. I figure a knife could fall into carry so I decide this might be the best place. Anyway I talked with a friend who sells knifes at gun shows and he said that soon(I believe he said June or July) switchblades would be legal to own in Indiana. Has anyone else heard this at all?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "They have only one purpose."

"Actually, these [inanimate objects] are, I would say inherently dangerous, they have only one purpose. They are just deadly. They are lethal weapons, and they are suited for crime, that is all they are suited for. So that the sportsmen really have nothing substantial to complain about. But they do complain. It is an emotional thing with them, somehow.
    "I know we have had their complaints, too, in connection with a bill which I have had in the legislature to limit the sale of ammunition in the city of New York...
    "This is a problem that we have in all of the big cities. And it is a question of weighing the conveniences of a group against the welfare and the health and the lives of many, many people. That is all it is."

Does this rhetoric sound all to familiar???

The above quote is New York State Senator Frank J. Pino of Brooklyn testifying in rebuttal for the sportsman angle...

with regard to switchblade knives...

in 1958.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I can carry a dozen firearms, if I choose, but I can't carry a switchblade or other "automatic" knife. Makes perfect sense to me!

-J-

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    since YOU open those by moving the blade, and not a switch or lever,
    Assisted opening != Automatic.

It's really a gamble. Some police officers likely think nothing of it, others might throw the book at you, after pepperspraying you, hand cuffing you, and putting a jack boot to the back of your head.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    since YOU open those by moving the blade, and not a switch or lever,
    Assisted opening != Automatic.

It's really a gamble. Some police officers likely think nothing of it, others might throw the book at you, after pepperspraying you, hand cuffing you, and putting a jack boot to the back of your head.

I have heard both sides of the argument on whether assited openers are technically legal in IN.

I know it sounds dumb, but I think the fact that Wal-Mart sells them is a good sign that they are legal. Think about it. How many lawyers does WM have working for them? I am sure quite a few. The last thing they want is to get the bad press for selling an illegal item in a state/city/county, etc. I gurantee you that their lawyers have looked this one over and decided the assisted openers they sell here are legal.

As for more dumb edged weapons laws in IN, what about the fact that "throwing stars" are illegal? I can legally own a short barreled, suppressed, machine gun, but not a friggin throwing star? That is just stupid.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    As for more dumb edged weapons laws in IN, what about the fact that "throwing stars" are illegal? I can legally own a short barreled, suppressed, machine gun, but not a friggin throwing star? That is just stupid.

I can only surmise that the illegality of throwing stars is probably due to the unsubstantiated, knee-jerk opinion of some influential liberal/s who claimed that since these 'destructive devices' are capable of piercing body armor they must be forbidden to the general public in order to ensure the safety of police officers, children, flowers, and, of course, Bambi. :rolleyesedit:

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    hey, I have a throwing star. The most useless weapon ever! That law is laughable considering that I see them quite a bit at gun shows and flea markets.

Btw: I carry a kershaw leek, great knife!

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    hey, I have a throwing star. The most useless weapon ever! That law is laughable considering that I see them quite a bit at gun shows and flea markets.

The point to remember is they are still illegal. If you should ever be shaken down by a by-the-book LEO and one is found in your possession, you might be spending more time than you'd like in custody.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    so. It mostly sits in a box with all of my other random folding knives, never use it much really. so the chances of an le seeing it is quite slim unless he searched my house (which isn't going to happen with out a warrant anyways).

Last edited:

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Kind of like carrying in the Post Office - I wouldn't want to be the test case.

I don't know that I'd be so caviler about an illegal item in my possession, either, even if it 'just' a throwing star.

Top Bottom