• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Anyone know a cheap surplus firearms? Under $200? (Besides a Mosin of course.) If you could include the link for a website that has them, that would be helpful also.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can find some Steyrs and Carcanos for under $200. If possible, I'd say save up a little more and you can get into an Enfield ($250ish). If you don't have one yet, you are missing out! I've got a no. 1, no.4, and a no. 5. I'm partial to them over the soviet rifles.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Deals at gun shows are out there on surplus rifles, just be aware that ammo isnt always readily available for all of them. My favorite bolt action surplus rifle has to be my Arisaka, but 7.7 jap isnt something that you can always find at the local hardware store.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just noticed your age, one thing you may consider is getting ahold of a mosin barreled action and building a sporter. It could be done for under $200, you can make it what you want it to be, you may learn a thing or two, and you won't have to buy different ammo. You may be able to find a good barreled action from a Mauser or Enfield, put a comp. stock, etc. and come in under your budget. Plus, it's kinda fun shopping for the parts!

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Just noticed your age, one thing you may consider is getting ahold of a mosin barreled action and building a sporter. It could be done for under $200, you can make it what you want it to be, you may learn a thing or two, and you won't have to buy different ammo. You may be able to find a good barreled action from a Mauser or Enfield, put a comp. stock, etc. and come in under your budget. Plus, it's kinda fun shopping for the parts!
    Thanks, I love my Mosin and my Nagant revoler but I am looking for something new. Maybe something lighter than my dragoon. I like orginals but ill look into it

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    So is 8mm ammo cheap?

I was just at Bradis they had Romanian 8mm for $25 for 100, They had yugo 8mm for 90 for $29. At the 1500 The ammo guy was selling a spam cans of Romanian 8mm 340 rounds for 95..

If you are shooting bolt action the Yugo has always been good.. But I have seen some issues with Yugo in a Belt Feed.. The same guy has Turk 8mm ammo for like 70 rounds for $20 or so???? did not commit that to memory because I have read some bad things for Turk 8mm ammo in a belt feed. But may not be bad in a bolt action..

Also Bradis had 3 different Turk 8MM mauser for 139.. in the 1941 - 1943 date range... They were nice looking rifles.. A bit on the heavy side..

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I was just at Bradis they had Romanian 8mm for $25 for 100, They had yugo 8mm for 90 for $29. At the 1500 The ammo guy was selling a spam cans of Romanian 8mm 340 rounds for 95..

If you are shooting bolt action the Yugo has always been good.. But I have seen some issues with Yugo in a Belt Feed.. The same guy has Turk 8mm ammo for like 70 rounds for $20 or so???? did not commit that to memory because I have read some bad things for Turk 8mm ammo in a belt feed. But may not be bad in a bolt action..

Also Bradis had 3 different Turk 8MM mauser for 139.. in the 1941 - 1943 date range... They were nice looking rifles.. A bit on the heavy side..

I have a turk mauser i bought when i was 18 it was my first gun they well built mausers but they not very collectable is all.... now on the the turk ammo (the nickel jacketed lead core) its the hardest hitting 8mm out there its to hard on any action other than a bolt i bought a case of it 1440 rounds i believe and it cost me 50bucks that was seven years ago and i still have over 1000 rounds of it.... but its not a ammo i would run through my yugo m76... 8mm surplus is pretty much dried up and you going to pay a bit more for it but keep in mine wolf, brown bear, ect... still make affordable 8mm thats non corrosive... Now like every Yugo weapons are tanks very well built and there mausers are fairly affordable there more than a turk but still far less than a nazi marked k-98

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Hmmmm, planning a trip to Bradis Saturday... It'd be irresponsible of me, but would go nicely with my Yugo...

Are the Turks a standard action (98k style) or the "medium" (M48 size)?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    If you look at gun shows you'll find an sks for around $200

I just finished a build on a Yugo M59/66 SKS.

SO...

If you want to build a MilSurp from a barreled receiver like I did, Centerfire Systems has "shooter grade" Yugo SKS barreled receivers for $70... Buy the parts from SKS Man, BuyMilSurp, Numrich, or various other vendors. Build, learn, and fall in love. The SKS is a simple yet rugged milsurp, ammo is cheap, parts are easy to find, and the SKS is a blast to shoot. Just an option.

Yugo SKS M59/66 Barreled Receiver

Paul's Guns - The SKSMAN - Products Listing Page- Your source for SKS Rifle and AK-47 accessories

Buymilsurp.com, Your source for military surplus.

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation

Two great references for SKS info:

Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - HISTORY

Survivor's SKS Boards - Index

Top Bottom