• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    A friend of mine fired a about 100 rounds of old US Surplus ammo through his WWII era US ARMY 1911 and says it is now inoperable. One friend has chimed in and said it was due to the ammo, making the gun too hot and ruining it.

I haven't looked at it, so I can't say what exactily is wrong with it. But, it won't come apart.

Any input? Is it toast.....? We all really liked that pistol...

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I would doubt that the gun got too hot. Define "inoperable" Use penetrating oil and time. If the gun wasn't lubed properly, it may have galled up. Let a smith have a look at it.... a good smith..... not bubba

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Were all hundred rounds fired through in one session. Cleaned right away or put away for later. When was it discovered inoperable.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I bet he fired some of the steel case stuff that was floating around--didn't clean it and it rusted---that ammo is corrosive. Probably isn't ruined but may have some pitting and finish issues.

Steve

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If you shoot WW2 ammo, you have to clean the weapon- period. There is no way that that ammo could have gotten the pistol "too hot". Tell him to soak the pistol in either Kroil penetrating oil or GM transmission fluid for a day, then scrub the crap out of it.

Mossmug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Greene County
    WW 2 Ammo is corrosive !

You need to completely strip it and clean with soap and hot water. Then clean it with Hoppies (or equiv ), oil and assemble .

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Make sure the barrel is not bulged or split, as in shooting with a squib load lodged in front of the fresh round.

It happened to my father's old Colt 1911. Everything was frozen tighter than a drum.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    WWII was a long time ago.

If the slide is locked up and won't move it might be a busted recoil spring. I had one lock my compact 1911 solid. A good smith is the only way to know for sure. Assuming he didn't have a 200 round clip, I doubt he could fire fast enough to heat up the gun that hot.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If the slide is locked up and won't move it might be a busted recoil spring. I had one lock my compact 1911 solid. A good smith is the only way to know for sure. Assuming he didn't have a 200 round clip, I doubt he could fire fast enough to heat up the gun that hot.

I would guess the recoil spring, too. It was probably an old *** recoil spring firing full powered ball ammo. Check the slide for cracks.:n00b:

Top Bottom