• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    I ran a search and didn't find anything. If I missed it please point me in the right direction.

Looking for a Surefire for my AR. Want something good and something cheap. Obviously, don't want junk so that is why I said surefire. I know surefire and cheap don't really go together but keep it on the low end for surefire. Also, I don't like the forarm/light combo.

What are your guys opinions?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How about a G2 LED with a quality mount?

P1012033small.JPG

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    How about a G2 LED with a quality mount?

P1012033small.JPG

winner winner chicken dinner!! i went with the LaRue mount (shown) and a surefire 6p LED. the price difference was only like $25.... go to the LaRue site and order from there. they sell them in combo packs. mount and light. mine was like $160 i think. LaRue is the best mounts made. period.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    G2 ($36) + VTAC mount ($20) = instant weaponlight
    VTAC.jpg

(Surefire 6P with P61 lamp and shock-isolated bezel shown for illustration purposes only)

This assumes you have a fore-end rail system of some sort. If not, you can get one of those CAA short rail sections that attaches to the standard handguard ($10), and a 1" scope ring ($8.00 on up) to put the light at 6:00, using the knuckle of your support hand to activate it.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I'm cheap, so I put a G2 on a Barrel Clamp Mount. The G2 works quite nicely for me and holds up to being on the gun, never really use it though...
    IMG_0938.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i may be wrong, but to get much life out of the bulbs, don't you have to switch out the g2 bulb to a shock isolated bulb? and i think thats like a $30 item, too......... i would go with an LED light from the get go.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    i may be wrong, but to get much life out of the bulbs, don't you have to switch out the g2 bulb to a shock isolated bulb? and i think thats like a $30 item, too......... i would go with an LED light from the get go.

I might eventually upgrade, but so far it's held up fine as it is. I think the upgrade isn't so much necessary for range shooting as it is combat use.

INGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    I was thinking about a G2 or G3, glad to know it seems to liked.

I know the light will probably won't get much use but I want it on there just in case. Figure if I ever go to war with my AR, I will spend the money to get a hell of a light:D. But for now I just want a good reliable light.

Yes a do have a fore-end rail system

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I bought an X300 and might buy the tail cap remote pressure switch for when I want to put it on my AR. If you really want something from surefire pm me.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    i may be wrong, but to get much life out of the bulbs, don't you have to switch out the g2 bulb to a shock isolated bulb?

The part you're talking about is the shock isolated bezel, not the bulb itself. And the answer is that you can if you want, but based on my experience and that of a couple of my shooting buddies, it doesn't seem to be necessary.

I would, however, recommend upgrading to the P61 lamp for greater output.

I personally don't care for the LEDs.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    you might look into fenix flashlights. there every bit as nice(if not better in some instances) as surefires and they don't hit the pocketbook as bad.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    very happy with my streamlight TLR1. the light of the new C4 led is incredibly light. Its simple, and its under $100...various mounts, can be used on handguns, shotguns and AR's, etc. Cant imagine spending $300 on a surefire

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Get a Viking Tactics light mount and something you like that fits it. Kyle knows about as much as anyone when it comes what does and does not work on an AR. If he's selling and designing it, it has seen more action that your rifle ever will.

BTW - Speaking of Fenix, I still have one black/grey TK20 for sale

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i prefer a 9v light on my rifle, so the g3 if you are going with the surefire and want to save some money. i ran the g2 for awhile, but ran our of throw when investigating the back yard one night. i've also worked my tlr1 on an ar and seemed fine indoors.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't. Might be a problem with glossy white paint on the walls, but there's nothing like that in my house.

Of course, that's raises a good idea for a 9V LED light with multiple brightness setting from "crazy" to "these batteries are lasting forever!"

Top Bottom