• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TANK BOSS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 27, 2021
    Fishers
    So, I've spreadsheeted the Evo vs. the Ultra7. Both have pro/cons, both impressive. I think on a bolt gun, as a dedidcated surpresssor, it's prolly smartest to go DT mounting. It has the advantages of lighter weight/length, lower cost and helps reduce tolerance stacking issues. So here's where I'm at:
    1) Evo with direct threat mount (included) and a .308 endcap = roughly $772 (pre-discounts).
    2) Ultra 7 with CB mount (included) = roughly $1095 (pre-discounts).

I would go with the Evo, since its application is on a bolt. But the lighter weight of the Ultra7 and lower dB is attractive.

Next I'm going to compare the DeadAir Nomad. MTF

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Over time the outer sleeve unscrews and you have to apply rocksett to keep it in place.
    Haven't shot the Evo, but digging thru the stats on their site, it compares very favorably to the rest of their stable.
    The Omega 300 now comes with the Bravo ASR mount, ASR brake and a direct thread mountattachement. All for MSPR of $915. That's redonkulous. Is their a problem with the Omega 300?? All I could tell was that it was slightly heavyish, even with some titanium.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Also, when guys shoot their cans off they're usually using the ASR mounting system. The system is fine but you have to pay attention when putting the can on. You have to make sure the lock ring is completely open. Then when screwing the can onto the acme threads you should hold the middle or upper portion of the can till it bottoms out then lock the ring. What happens is guys will open the lock ring and grab the can at the base and their hand will move the lock ring to a partially closed position as they turn the can onto the acme threads. They don't realize it and then lock the ring. Then after a few shots the can is shot off and there's baffle strikes

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Also, when guys shoot their cans off they're usually using the ASR mounting system. The system is fine but you have to pay attention when putting the can on. You have to make sure the lock ring is completely open. Then when screwing the can onto the acme threads you should hold the middle or upper portion of the can till it bottoms out then lock the ring. What happens is guys will open the lock ring and grab the can at the base and their hand will move the lock ring to a partially closed position as they turn the can onto the acme threads. They don't realize it and then lock the ring. Then after a few shots the can is shot off and there's baffle strikes
    This is exactly why I went with the taper mount from Griffin armament. I don't have to worry about my omega launching.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    Awesome. I'm leaning to the Ultra 7.
    Two questions, if you don't mind:
    1) I like the 7 vs. 9 due to length, weight & cost: Is Ultra 9 significantly a better choice for my bolt .308?
    [I have a suppressor for my 5.56; everything with a can is a trade-off between size & effectiveness (sweet sport)].
    2) which TBAC mounting system do you recommed (I can't decide)?

Thanks so much man,
    TJ
    I’ve never shot a 7, but I wouldn’t think there’s a significant difference on 308. I just chose the 9 in the event I decided to get a magnum in the future where it would be preferable for a bit more length.

I went with the brake mount vs direct thread just in case I ever did shoot unsuppressed and I didn’t want to mess around with thread protectors when putting in cases and transporting.

Late to the show but I have the Hybrid 46 (14 ounces) and the Sig SRD762QD (17 ounces) cans.

Both function well and are full size cans.

The new sig modular cans look quite interesting.
    I also have a Hybrid 46. If you’re planning on one suppressor for multiple calibers/platforms, this is the ticket. However, it is really big and heavy so if you’re going with a single caliber or dedicated host, then I’d pick one of the other options suggested.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I’ve never shot a 7, but I wouldn’t think there’s a significant difference on 308. I just chose the 9 in the event I decided to get a magnum in the future where it would be preferable for a bit more length.

I went with the brake mount vs direct thread just in case I ever did shoot unsuppressed and I didn’t want to mess around with thread protectors when putting in cases and transporting.

I also have a Hybrid 46. If you’re planning on one suppressor for multiple calibers/platforms, this is the ticket. However, it is really big and heavy so if you’re going with a single caliber or dedicated host, then I’d pick one of the other options suggested.
    I discourage first time suppressor buyers getting a big bore/one can "do it all"

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not sure what your value/prioritize.

Flexibility
    Mount options
    Durability
    Sound reduction (I put last intentionally)

That being said, if I were just now getting into suppressors, I'd go with Dead Air everything.

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    Can really depend on your purpose, if it’s dedicated or mostly intended for your Tikka, look for the can that’s got the best reviews for minimal/repeatable POI shift and maintains or improves accuracy. I had a Gemtech Quicksand from 2012 and it opened up groups on precision guns, until Gemtech sent me a direct thread conversion which solved that issue.

Most importantly, get the best suppressor wrap you can. After the first few rounds the mirage coming from your silencer will blur the image in your optic. I’ve had a great experience with the Rifles Only wrap, the heat dissipation innards work well.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Most importantly, get the best suppressor wrap you can. After the first few rounds the mirage coming from your silencer will blur the image in your optic. I’ve had a great experience with the Rifles Only wrap, the heat dissipation innards work well.
    My Rifles Only wrap works very well on a scoped bolt gun. That said, I don't use it with my AR's... I worry about the retained heat.

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    The thunderbeast ultra 7 is a great can. I run that on my competition bolt gun. Area 419 makes a great brake mount for the can as well if you wanted the option of a brake

Top Bottom