• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I went through a period where I was actively searching for any and all .22 pistols to suppress and I ended up with a few favorites. The Ruger was my first and still my favorite but preferably as an integral. If you want a full size modern pistol then the CZ75 is "the one". I only bought the P22 because it had a suppressor on it,.......I wouldn't own one otherwise. If you want 'easy' then the older S&W's are very good suppressor hosts(422/622/2216, etc). They mount up with nothing more than a thread adaptor and the low barrel has the advantage of not messing up your sight line.

These are old pics from when I had a good number of the guns all in one place. They're scattered to hell and gone now with another dozen or two added to the lot but the above listed models were the best combination of good gun/good price/easy conversion.

View attachment 45856

please tell me you didn't get rid of the high standard? if you still have it its worth rep points!
    if you got rid of it I say good day!
    View attachment 45871

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I went through a period where I was actively searching for any and all .22 pistols to suppress and I ended up with a few favorites. The Ruger was my first and still my favorite but preferably as an integral. If you want a full size modern pistol then the CZ75 is "the one". I only bought the P22 because it had a suppressor on it,.......I wouldn't own one otherwise. If you want 'easy' then the older S&W's are very good suppressor hosts(422/622/2216, etc). They mount up with nothing more than a thread adaptor and the low barrel has the advantage of not messing up your sight line.

These are old pics from when I had a good number of the guns all in one place. They're scattered to hell and gone now with another dozen or two added to the lot but the above listed models were the best combination of good gun/good price/easy conversion.

View attachment 45856

Holy crap that's a lot of tax stamps!

TechSvengali

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2016
    Bedford
    Wow thanks for the replies, that's a lot of good info.

i guess I wasn't too off base when I assumed the Ruger was generally a fan favorite but didn't realize how many viable options there actually were

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    No, didn't get rid of any of them,......they're just scattered about and there are now too many of them to gather up for new pictures. And I think there are at least three High Standards now,.......the integral Model B and a couple of threaded Sport Kings. I still have a couple of Duramatics to thread if I get the itch again. It got pretty weird toward the end after I ran out of models to search for. I think the last one I did was a Plainfield and I'd never even seen one of those before other than in pictures.

Plainfield Suppressed 22 (6) (Small).JPG

View attachment 45874

This High Standard? My solution for a front sight wasn't exactly elegant, but it was a $50 suppressor on a $100 pistol so cheap and easy won the day.

High Std 003 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Nope, none. I did all these up tax-free as display/samples while I was an SOT. I had a friendly gunsmith who would work on anything I sent him and he must have threaded a hundred different guns for me. And at the time I was stocking dozens of different suppressor models. Still have a large number of them.

Still finding some pictures stored in files I'd forgotten about. Here are a few more,.....

DSC00741 (Small).JPG

View attachment 45875

DSC00762 (Small).JPG

View attachment 45876

SP22M1 Supp'd.jpg

TT Right (Small).JPG

The CZ Kadet and S&W SP22M1 or whatever it is are super-easy. All they require is a thread adaptor. The S&W makes a nice host in every sense except that it has absolutely the worst trigger of any gun I own. I particularly like the Norinco TT Olympia Walther copies but they are about the hardest to convert. The barrel is integral to the frame and the entire gun needs to be jigged up in the lathe for threading. Same thing with the Star pistols.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    No, didn't get rid of any of them,......they're just scattered about and there are now too many of them to gather up for new pictures. And I think there are at least three High Standards now,.......the integral Model B and a couple of threaded Sport Kings. I still have a couple of Duramatics to thread if I get the itch again. It got pretty weird toward the end after I ran out of models to search for. I think the last one I did was a Plainfield and I'd never even seen one of those before other than in pictures.

View attachment 45881

View attachment 45874

This High Standard? My solution for a front sight wasn't exactly elegant, but it was a $50 suppressor on a $100 pistol so cheap and easy won the day.

View attachment 45879

a high standard with a can is a thing of beauty!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I looked at a Walther PPQ M2 at Fort Liberty today. If it had the adapter with it I'd have it at home now. Guess I know what I'll be looking for at the 1500!

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I picked up a S&W M&P22c, the S&W made compact version not long ago and it has run very well. similar threaded barrel nut like the Ruger SR22 or Walther P22 in a not too small not too big pistol. Feels like my Shield.

Of course I also favor the old discontinued S&W 2214 but they are hard to find. Sample 2213 below. Note the low bore axis.

I have a 2213 and a 622, can't beat them.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Instead of finding a PPQ 22 I found an M&P 22 that is made by Walther! Here's a pic of it with a Form 1 Can. I plan on putting some CCI SV's through it tomorrow.

M&P-22-Form-1-Can.jpg

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    OP,
    I got a conversation kit for my sig P226. Runs great, and is a whole lot of fun.
    If you have another pistol, that may be an option too.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Looks great, Dan! Glad we were able to hook you up!

Thanks! It worked perfectly. Here's a quick video comparing the different cans. The Form 1 seemed quieter but it is longer. It's only a few ounces heavier. The "ting" you hear is the brass hitting the garage door. It was pouring rain so I was standing in the other garage door.

[video=youtube_share;99YGStrIaXg]http://youtu.be/99YGStrIaXg[/video]​

I'm still going to look for a PPQ 22 as it will be a trainer, so to speak, for the PPQ 9mm.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Thanks! It worked perfectly. Here's a quick video comparing the different cans. The Form 1 seemed quieter but it is longer. It's only a few ounces heavier. The "ting" you hear is the brass hitting the garage door. It was pouring rain so I was standing in the other garage door.

[video=youtube_share;99YGStrIaXg]http://youtu.be/99YGStrIaXg[/video]​

I'm still going to look for a PPQ 22 as it will be a trainer, so to speak, for the PPQ 9mm.

That's nice! What's the length on that form 1?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Another vote for the Ruger 22/45. Mine's been a fantastic pistol, if I had to make a complaint it would be how quickly it gets dirty and begins to malfunction (usually light strikes) when shooting suppressed but I'm not sure that wouldn't apply to any suppressed 22lr pistol.

Very accurate with a wide variety of ammo. I feed a lot of Federal bulk pack through mine and it runs great. I took this video before adding the Vortex Venom.
    My MP22 has the same problem.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just picked up a 22/45 yesterday with a volquartsen trigger and a cheap reflex. I am much happier to have gone this route over the other options out there.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    After reading the comments I think I'd like to get a PPQ m2 in .22LR. I have one in 9mm but I think the .22 version would be a great entry step for training to the 9mm. Now to see if anyone local actually has one!

Don't forget, the Sig P250 Compact comes in .22LR, and you can then get a 9mm upper for it. Sig told me they're releasing a threaded barrel for it later in the year. It also has the barrel mounted low in the slide, so sighting won't be an issue.

Top Bottom