• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It's a beast! Built like a tank. High quality. What do you want with that much gun. Just for fun or thinking about deer hunting?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I like it but there a few deer that I met while carrying it that don't think its a good idea to have one, In fact if they hadn't died of sudden lead poisoning they might have started a movement to ban it.

In reality Its a fine gun, Factory trigger a bit rough but with a spring kit it cleans up, I had a heck of a time keeping scopes on it, but there are better scopes now, I had mine Magna-ported and it really helped a bit with muzzle flip but no matter what when you stoke it with 24gr of H110 with a hornady 240 it is a deer killing machine, I've taken deer from 30yds to 125, but 125 was my limit, one of the only gun's I own that I can't find an aftermarket grip I like better.

Worst thing is its so rugged it will only last 5-6 lifetimes, you buy one and you will never get the joy of owning another New one, (unless your "son" needs one)

I give it a 10/10 overall the only place it looses is in "finesse" the Smith 29 is a bit more fancy but not as rugged.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I have a 45/454 Alaskan and a 7.5 barrel version also there great guns I didn't get the .44 mag but I would have no problem getting one there great and I kill a lot of deer with 44mag.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Red hawk

I decided to go with the super blackhawk. I wouldn't go for a single action in most weapons given the choice but, firing a 44 mag from a handgun is enough of handful I don't mind pulling that hammer back and having a pause between rounds to get a real good grip. Plus I just like the way they feel in my hand. Red hawk is a great gun though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pops had a 9.5" in .44 mag. It loved my hot 180 and 200 gr handloads. Trigger was decent but not great. Factory grips totally sucked. So big and heavy, it was easy to shoot well.
    Had a 1-4X Burris on it, hated that scope.
    Took it off and popped a deer out a ways with it ;)

I'd like to have the extra $ to convert one into a rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I decided to go with the super blackhawk. I wouldn't go for a single action in most weapons given the choice but, firing a 44 mag from a handgun is enough of handful I don't mind pulling that hammer back and having a pause between rounds to get a real good grip. Plus I just like the way they feel in my hand. Red hawk is a great gun though.

I'm right handed, take a low grip, and cock the gun with my left hand. Can shoot 3 or 4 times before the gun slides a bit. Low grip does mean more recoil to the thumb pad area though. Eh, you toughen up quick enough :)
    I wiped out a whole family of groundhogs in quick fashion once, and scored multiple good hits on deer using that grip/method.

Like to find another pre warning SBH 7.5" (or 3 screw) :)

Top Bottom