• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What does everyone else do to keep everything clean running well?

New to me house is six years old and I'm guessing has the original pump in it along with a 12v backup. One of the previous owners unplugged the float switch from the backup controller. It also had a radon mitigation system installed cheaply which involved gluing down the sump pit cover and every opening. I have exhumed the glue, pried the cover off and started inspecting things. So far I have discovered that the backup pump's float switch was being held in the on position by cables likely during or shortly after the radon mitigation system was installed. Since they glued the cover down I'm guessing they unplugged the float switch to kill the alarm and stop the pump from running. It is now reconnected and does still work but I don't know how long the battery would or should power it. The battery is simply a 75 ah deep cycle. The pit looks fairly clear of debris but I do see a layer of muck and gel type stuff on the pumps and switches. I have a proper cover designed for a radon mitigation system ready to install and plan on doing some serious cleaning the next time we get a few dry days.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    That battery should run the pump for 4 hours (continuous) which cannot be easily translated to days since every house and drainage system is different.

Our pit was installed by the previous owners in the late 90's... I never really cleaned our pit, just sprayed it down. It even handled laundry water with lint and all until a few years ago when the laundry got it's own pump. I replaced the original pump last year and it was still working.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I should also caution that it all depends on the quality of the pump. Our old and new ones are Zoeller... if you have a store brand or no-name Chinese, then your mileage will vary.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ours is painted green (cant remeber the name), has a backup pump system not just power. It wasnt cheap but I was told it was the best i could get and would keep it dry and thats all I needed to hear. Also has a good warranty.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I guess the "two is one, one is none" runs deep in this one. I have new identical pumps sitting on my shelf because critical systems never fail except in the breech

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    We have a zoeller main pump with a water powered backup. A backup that doesn’t ever run out of battery and runs off water pressure. Good in theory but despite replacing the water powered pump it still doesn’t empty the pit. I think it might be an issue with the check valves.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Battery backup.... you need to check water level in the batt every couple months. I keep some distilled water nearby to add if necessary.

during rains, if I am home, I let the backup run on batt. I want to see than it is truely holding charge and working. I had to replace one batt after 5 years. I discovered it wasn’t holding charge during one of these tests. I’m thinking of replacing my current batt only because it is about 5 yrs old.

i have a backup main pump all plumbed and ready to drop in with nothing more than loosening a hose clamp to remove the old pump, setting the new in place, and tightening the clamp back down... 60 seconds to swap and my wife can do it if I am out of town.

-rvb

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Battery backup.... you need to check water level in the batt every couple months. I keep some distilled water nearby to add if necessary.

during rains, if I am home, I let the backup run on batt. I want to see than it is truely holding charge and working. I had to replace one batt after 5 years. I discovered it wasn’t holding charge during one of these tests. I’m thinking of replacing my current batt only because it is about 5 yrs old.

i have a backup main pump all plumbed and ready to drop in with nothing more than loosening a hose clamp to remove the old pump, setting the new in place, and tightening the clamp back down... 60 seconds to swap.

-rvb
    Ours uses an AGM battery for no maintenance. I remember that because I had to pay extra for it.
    But that's all good advice on everything and also if someone doesnt have an AGM battery

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Loosen/tighten the pipe connection every once in a while. When my pump died in the heat of torrential rain, my only option was to cut the pipe to remove the pump.

Fortunately, I had a long enough length of replacement pipe to get all the way to the check valve.

So, both things are handy...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Loosen/tighten the pipe connection every once in a while. When my pump died in the heat of torrential rain, my only option was to cut the pipe to remove the pump.

Fortunately, I had a long enough length of replacement pipe to get all the way to the check valve.

So, both things are handy...

The PVC pipe that connects to my sump pump has a rubber sleeve fitting with hose clamps (Fernco fitting). The fitting is well above the water line, and all I have to do is to loosen the hose clamps and slide the fitting up or down to remove the pump with the bottom piece of pipe still attached.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    First the pit will fill with gunk. Drain the pit and then use a wet/dry vac to clean the bottom of the pit.
    if you find a lot of gunk. Raise the pump. I placed my pump on two house bricks.
    A problem I cured is vapor lock or water lock.
    When the pump finishes pumping. it takes a very long time for the water to empty the outflow pipe.
    if the pump needs to cycle quickly. it gets back pressure block.
    I drilled a tiny 1/8 inch hole just outside on top of the exhaust pipe.
    NO water does not spout out the hole. The exhaust pipe drains immediately completely.

I just added this.
    The furthest you can run the exhaust pipe the better you will be.
    When my sump was installed. the installer just terminated the exhaust outside the foundation.
    I was sump pump ignorant. Then days after a very rainy week. I wondered why the pump was still cycling.
    It was just recycling the same water.
    I ran 50 feet of larger pipe to natural drainage. Solved the problem. Now the pump stops soon after the rain stops.
    It will run a bit of time to clear the water table.
    Same pump sense April 1991.
    about 5 years later I added an additional sump pump in my water well room.
    Oh my back up is a portable generator it feeds the necessary section of my house. one half of 220 service.
    when I lose power and need it. I drop the main breaker. I made a double male extension cord. I plug it into the known outlet in my nonattached garage with the door ajar.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom