• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I am looking for information on summer internships in programming, artificial intelligence, machine learning, or related areas for my son. He is attending college in West Virginia and is a Junior this year. He is open to any location but if it's not within reasonable driving distance of the Crawfordsville / Lebanon area he will need to find a place to stay, so if that's the case a housing stipend would be helpful (although not required.)

Short background: He spent his freshman year knocking out core requirements and taking a few Criminology classes. At the beginning of his sophomore year he declared Criminology as his major, and planned to minor in Computer Science. As the year went on, he decided it would be a better fit for him to switch the two for a Computer Science major, Criminology minor. Near the end of the year his school announced that they were doing away with the Computer Science option, so he was planning to transfer schools. He met with a professor right before he left for the summer who explained that they would be offering "Product Design" starting this year instead of Computer Science. He decided to return and declare Product Design as his new major. He has already taken care of his core requirements and everything for his Criminology minor, so his entire class load now is focused on major-related courses.

An internship is one of the requirements for this major, and since he's a Junior he needs to do that this summer. He has been searching for internships through websites and searches provided by his school, but I am trying to help him find others that might not be advertised there since he needs to find something quickly. If anyone knows of any opportunities, I would very much appreciate it if you would share that information so I can forward it to him.

The degree information is below. My son is working toward the B.S. degree in Industrial Product Design (technology focus.)

Program at a Glance

Degrees: B.A. degree in Product Design consists of 31 hours of core courses and 18 hours of specialization, or “focus” courses. B.S. degree in Industrial Product Design includes all the B.A. requirements, but 12 hours of the specialization courses are to be selected from the technology focus area.

Optional Concentrations: The design curriculum is based around three focus areas: business, art and technology courses. Completing one of three focus areas will put you three classes away from completing the associated minors in business, art, or digital media. Regardless of your specialization, you will have a foundation in entrepreneurship, electronics, programming, web design, and marketing that will serve you well in a variety of enterprises, including your own.

Product-Design.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My son, and about half of his frat brothers, all got internships at Hilti. Most are still working there several years later.

Not sure they'd have anything in the specific field you've outlined, but it wouldn't hurt to check...

Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    My son, and about half of his frat brothers, all got internships at Hilti. Most are still working there several years later.

Not sure they'd have anything in the specific field you've outlined, but it wouldn't hurt to check...

I've never heard of them and I don't think this is one that was already on his radar. I will pass the information along to him. Thank you!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've never heard of them and I don't think this is one that was already on his radar. I will pass the information along to him. Thank you!
    It's been a great job for my kid and his buddies.

They make tools you're more likely to see on a big job site than in anybody's garage. Super high end stuff.

Even robots to hang brackets from concrete ceilings and exoskeleton stuff to help people lift more weight and reduce fatigue.

maxresdefault.jpg

9644930760734.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Last couple of years, I think these have all been remote due to Covid, so wouldn't think location would be an issue.

Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County

Last couple of years, I think these have all been remote due to Covid, so wouldn't think location would be an issue.
    He mentioned looking at some remote listings, but he was worried about reliable Internet. Our service can get a little sketchy at times out here in the middle of the corn fields. It's definitely an option though, and I will be sure he knows about Microsoft. Thanks!

Top Bottom