Suggestions on looking for a low cost AR upper??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm looking for a cheap AR upper that shoots straight and is reliable. I'm not looking for varmint accuracy, SHTF reliability, or a beuty contest winner. I just want a complete upper that's ready to go shooting.

So far the best deal I can find is a doublestar M4 looking upper at Budsgunshop or gunbroker.com in the $350 range complete with bolt carrier assembly and charging handle. I'd have to buy a rear sight for this, but a $40 magpul would work just fine.

Any thoughts on the doublestar? The reviews at Budsgunshop are pretty encouraging. Do you know of any better deal out there right now? I'm open to suggestions.

mutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Saw an ad in a magazine recently for a company called "Model 1" that seemed pretty competitive on price, but I have no direct experience

Model 1 Sales:

there prices listed are without the bolt though

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm looking for a cheap AR upper that shoots straight and is reliable. I'm not looking for varmint accuracy, SHTF reliability, or a beuty contest winner. I just want a complete upper that's ready to go shooting.

So far the best deal I can find is a doublestar M4 looking upper at Budsgunshop or gunbroker.com in the $350 range complete with bolt carrier assembly and charging handle. I'd have to buy a rear sight for this, but a $40 magpul would work just fine.

Any thoughts on the doublestar? The reviews at Budsgunshop are pretty encouraging. Do you know of any better deal out there right now? I'm open to suggestions.

Is that $350 shipped?

The three uppers I find on Buds are out of stock.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is that $350 shipped?

The three uppers I find on Buds are out of stock.

I must have just sold it, so I can't look and see if that was shipped or not. :( The one on gunbroker was comparably priced and the shipping was $10 - $15 I think so it's not that big of a deal.

Did you find their Hbar upper by chance?

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    We have two uppers currently in-stock:

1) DPMS Sportical 16" $359.95

2) Rock River Arms 16" mid-length LW/chrome-lined w/ Magpul MOE handguards $529.95

Both uppers are new, and feature a flat-top receiver and railed gas block; neither includes the bolt group or charging handle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I picked up a dsa last year on one of there sales and ben happy think I paid 275 without the bolt

What kind of round count have you got on it?

My only complaint about the reviews I've read on Buds are that most of the reviews are based on how it looks out of the box or after 100rds. I want to see how it handles after 500 or more rounds in reviews.

shadowdweller61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Del-ton is the way to go if you are willing to wait up to six weeks for them to build it.Last account I had thats how far they were running behind. I think they have the best priced uppers and they come complete with bolt carrier group and charging handle. I have two Del-tons and am very pleased with them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I keep debating back and forth about this. I just don't know if I want a mix matched rifle. I know there's nothing wrong with it, but I also know that if something in life pops up it's going to be a lot easier to sell the rifle down the road from now if all the parts match. For example bushmaster upper that goes along with bushmaster lower. I've got an eye on a complete bush m4 upper for $525 to the door. I just don't know if that's my best bet or not.

If I bought that bushmaster upper, I'd have $775 in a all bushmaster m4. That's not all bad I guess.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've never tried to "part out" a gun but if it's anything like parting out a car you make more money selling it in pieces. Buy what makes you happy then go shoot the crap out of it and be even more happy.

:ingo:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't have an exact round count greater than 300 but less than 1k it's not got match grade groups but its an action match gun and the chamber doesn't stretch bras s

I would buy another for the same purpose

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well.... I ended up going in a completely different direction than what I had originally intended. That's not usual for me, but I'll try it. I bought that brand new complete bushmaster upper. I'm pretty excited about it and it'll be a good rifle. Hopefully I'll be pinning it all together in a week or less.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Good fair priced upper

I would like to revisit this issue. My buddy found Plum Crazy Firearms
    [now PCF] and we decided to order one complete lower apiece.

Lowers don't throw anything or go bang. I'm kinda new to rifles so
    any advise on quality and price or a good place to buy a complete upper
    is appreciated.

Top Bottom