Suggestions for a 9mm for concealed carry.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    light trigger pull

Before I go and handle various pistols, I figured I'd ask INGO to help me narrow down my choices. :D I'm looking for a 9mm for CC, either in a pocket or iwb. Also, the lighter the trigger pull, the better.

The only 9mm I've ever handled and shot was an older Glock 17. The grip was too large for me, and since gen 4 Glocks are kinda above my price range (between $400 and $500), I have to rule Glocks out.

The only guns with a light trigger pull are, either Single Action pistols or weapons that have modified triggers and sears.

Things like insurance companys and lawyers have made, out of the box. light triggers in DAO pistols a thing of the past.

So, in your price range a good SA/DA revolver would be a good choice and I do hate revolvers, but they are a very good weapon for a little bit of $$$.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've been using the same old, all-steel Star M43 with the "Starvel" finish since 1993. Now that its Meprolight tritiums are getting really dim (replacements haven't been made for years), and arthritis in my back is getting worse, I'm looking real hard at S&W's MP Shield and Ruger's LC9.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been using the same old, all-steel Star M43 with the "Starvel" finish since 1993. Now that its Meprolight tritiums are getting really dim (replacements haven't been made for years), and arthritis in my back is getting worse, I'm looking real hard at S&W's MP Shield and Ruger's LC9.

Can't you just replace the capsules in those sights and keep the metal parts?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Can't you just replace the capsules in those sights and keep the metal parts?

I've looked into that. It can be done, but it's significantly more expensive to do than it is to buy a new current production set. When you add in two-way shipping and insurance for my slide you're looking at about $175, plus or minus a bit.

If I could, I'd put a set of XS "standard" dot 24/7s on it. Unfortunately, they don't make anything compatible with the existing slide cuts. Cost would be about the same and I'd have a faster set-up to work with.

IPack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Bourbon
    I like springfields XD9 sub compact, accurate for being a sub compact and i find it to be very forgiving. The only downside to any XD other than the XDs is the thickness of the weapon, it took a few days to get use to that but i have found it to be a good carry gun. :twocents:

a10waveracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2012
    West Lafayette, IN
    I use a Beretta PX4 Compact for my concealed carry but I likely wouldn't recommend it unless you're a larger individual. It's a pretty hefty gun (since it can have 17+1) and, while it works for me, a smaller gun would likely be easier for most people to carry.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My XDM 3.8 compact is a very nice size gun for conceal. I got a Raven holster for mine and it keeps the gun close to the body.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    I bought a Sig P238 and really like it for CC.

Before I go and handle various pistols, I figured I'd ask INGO to help me narrow down my choices. :D I'm looking for a 9mm for CC, either in a pocket or iwb. Also, the lighter the trigger pull, the better.

The only 9mm I've ever handled and shot was an older Glock 17. The grip was too large for me, and since gen 4 Glocks are kinda above my price range (between $400 and $500), I have to rule Glocks out.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    If you are looking only for a 9mm, My first suggestion would be a Kahr CM9. The Kahr is a SINGLE stack, and is really good for concealment, plus, carrying and concealing an additional mag is simple for that weapon. My second suggestion would be to get out there, and get some other weapons in your hand, and see what is of the right size for you, and what you feel comfortable holding/shooting. My current EDC is a Sig P250SC, chambered in 9mm, and I am, due to some change in apparel I am switching to a Ruger LCP in .380. Depending on your needs, I would suggest that you could also consider that as well.

Good Luck in your search!

Top Bottom