Suggestions for a 9mm for concealed carry.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    My Shield fits into a generic Galco IWB holster, which then fits perfectly into the front pocket of my cargo shorts. Couldn't do THAT with a G19.. :D

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Before I go and handle various pistols, I figured I'd ask INGO to help me narrow down my choices. :D I'm looking for a 9mm for CC, either in a pocket or iwb. Also, the lighter the trigger pull, the better.

The only 9mm I've ever handled and shot was an older Glock 17. The grip was too large for me, and since gen 4 Glocks are kinda above my price range (between $400 and $500), I have to rule Glocks out.

Even though the OP states Glocks are out, there have been a dozen posts suggesting Glocks (26 or 19). It looks like we are witnessing "Glock-vision" in action. It is a form of tunnel vison in which Glocks appear to meet any shooters need or fill any niche, regardless of price/size/use. Anyway... I degress.

Back to the OP: My own search and short (?) list is as follows:
    Pocketable, for me = Kel Tec PF9 (possibly P11?), Ruger LC9, Taurus 709 slim, and the Kahr CM9.
    Too big for my pockets but great for IWB = Springfield XD9c, S&W M&P9c, Ruger SR9c.
    And I really want to get my hands on the M&P Shield, and the XDs if/when it comes out in 9mm too.
    ---
    GB!

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Even though the OP states Glocks are out, there have been a dozen posts suggesting Glocks (26 or 19). It looks like we are witnessing "Glock-vision" in action. It is a form of tunnel vison in which Glocks appear to meet any shooters need or fill any niche, regardless of price/size/use. Anyway... I degress.

He can get a Glock in his price range and the 19 is a better gun than many of the other ones that have been suggested.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Just shot my kahr cw9 for the first time today. 200 rounds, no failures. My other pistol is a Glock 23. The kahr is a much better summer gun, it's slim, light, and still fires a solid round. Take a look at one.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County

Back to the OP: My own search and short (?) list is as follows:
    Pocketable, for me = Kel Tec PF9 (possibly P11?), Ruger LC9, Taurus 709 slim, and the Kahr CM9.
    Too big for my pockets but great for IWB = Springfield XD9c, S&W M&P9c, Ruger SR9c.
    And I really want to get my hands on the M&P Shield, and the XDs if/when it comes out in 9mm too.
    ---
    GB!

Anybody who hated the grip on the Gen 3 Glocks should try the Gen 4's before they just rule them out. I went back to carrying a Glock 19 every day after I tried the Gen 4 and realized that the changes they made to the grip, while subtle, made all the difference and for once I actually felt like the Glock fit my hand right.

All the other guns you mentioned are great options as well! :yesway:
    I want a M&P Shield bad, but I'm going to have to wait a while now as I just bought a Ruger 22/45 LITE.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Very good LC9 review.
    I know that many in the gun world don't appreciate the loaded chamber indicator (it raises up and can be seen and felt with the fingers if you rub it along the top of the gun) or the manual safety, or the magazine disconnect safety but I like all those features.

The manual safety works the same way as the 1911 safety, so it's not much of an issue for us 1911 lovers. You can remove the loaded chamber indicator and the magazine disconnect. Not a big deal.

The trigger pull presents the biggest challenge. Not only is it long and heavy, it also breaks too far back. That makes it hard to hold the gun steady when you shoot. Some say you need a heavy trigger for a carry gun to prevent accidents. But that seems a little redundant with the manual safety. I think the Galloway trigger job is a must.

And, finally -- a plastic guiding rod? Come on, Ruger.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I recently picked up a gently used Kahr K9.it has quickly become my summer choice for carry. It's light, accurate and dependable. It's dehorned, so I don't have a problem with it in cargo short pockets. Mine likes 147 JHP Hydra-Shoks. If you're going with a budget, the CW9 (conventional rifling, poly frame) is also a great choice. Just my :twocents:

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    As several have mentioned, the LC9 fits most of your criteria. It does have a long trigger pull, but that's a good thing if you ever intend to throw it in a pocket. I have the LC9 and the LCP .380 and I carry both at different times, depending on how concealed I want to be and what clothes I'm wearing. With all but the trimmest of shirts, the LCP disappears even with my Fobus Evolution holster for it. The LC9 is much harder for me to keep hidden (however, generally speaking if I'm carrying the LC9, it's OC anyway). That being said, with an IWB, the LC9 pretty much disappears also unless I'm wearing a very close-fitting shirt. Both have never given me even a single problem at the range, so I'm comfortable carrying either. In fact, the ONLY issue I've had was one stovepipe on the LC9, and someone else was shooting it (bad technique). Oh, one last thing. The sights on the LC9 are WAY better than the LCP, and between that and the larger grip, I find I'm noticeably more accurate with it, both on a carefully targeted first shot as well as rapid follow-ups.

cbowman75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Marion
    I would recommend a Ruger 9rc. My brother in law has 1 and carries it everywhere. I've shot it at the range and that pistol is surprisingly accurate @ 25yards.

megalomaniac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    Before I go and handle various pistols, I figured I'd ask INGO to help me narrow down my choices. :D I'm looking for a 9mm for CC, either in a pocket or iwb. Also, the lighter the trigger pull, the better.

The only 9mm I've ever handled and shot was an older Glock 17. The grip was too large for me, and since gen 4 Glocks are kinda above my price range (between $400 and $500), I have to rule Glocks out.

Ruger LC9. That is my suggestion.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I disagree, any of Rugers, Sr9, SR9c, SR40, SR40c, P95, or LC9 all available under $450 are fine quality weapons.

Yep. Also the Smith Shield is around $450 new. I can buy the new SD9 new for $350 out the door. Looks to be a decent gun.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like the Beretta Nano a lot. Here is mine compared to my G27 (which is a good comparison the G26).

Glock27versusNanoBacktoBack.jpg

NanoLeftClose-up.jpg

Inside of my High Noon IWB Holster:
    NanoinHighNoonleft.jpg

Top Bottom