• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Anyone catching any suckers yet? All my dad has been talking about is going sucker fishing this time of year when he was younger. I think we are gonna go soon. Just curious as to if anyone has been catching any or know if they should be biting soon? :patriot:

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I see people catching suckers in the classifieds everyday. I think they've been biting since late Dec.

Sorry for the thread jack, I just couldn't resist!

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I haven't did this since I was in High School. I used to skip school during this time of year to go sucker fishing with my grandpa. After he died, I just never went again. It was a blast. We always used night crawlers and would fish after a rain. We would fish where a creek would run into the river. You had to watch carefully or you wouldn't even know they were on your hook. The suckers would suck that worm into their mouths and just lay there until you set the hook. Some of these fish can get pretty big. Some of the best eating too. This sure brings back a lot of great memories with me and my grandpa. I need to plan a time now to take my grandson. Thanks for bringing back great memories!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I haven't did this since I was in High School. I used to skip school during this time of year to go sucker fishing with my grandpa. After he died, I just never went again. It was a blast. We always used night crawlers and would fish after a rain. We would fish where a creek would run into the river. You had to watch carefully or you wouldn't even know they were on your hook. The suckers would suck that worm into their mouths and just lay there until you set the hook. Some of these fish can get pretty big. Some of the best eating too. This sure brings back a lot of great memories with me and my grandpa. I need to plan a time now to take my grandson. Thanks for bringing back great memories!

Exactly what Grandpa and I used to do back in the '60's. We would run a trot line with a gob of nightcrawlers from the garden in the St Joe River up where the Little Elkhart River joins the St. Joe. We would catch mostly Redhorse suckers. They were delicious ground up with cracker crumbs to make "poor man's crabcakes" Great memories indeed!

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Exactly what Grandpa and I used to do back in the '60's. We would run a trot line with a gob of nightcrawlers from the garden in the St Joe River up where the Little Elkhart River joins the St. Joe. We would catch mostly Redhorse suckers. They were delicious ground up with cracker crumbs to make "poor man's crabcakes" Great memories indeed!

wow ya i did not know about grinding them up and making patties, that sounds good. dad had been talking about scoring them to deal with the bones, but that they are delicious.

TBone3006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have a boat set up for gigging suckers, at night with 110 volt generator with HPS lights. It is tons of fun and they are pretty tastey. I used to live in Missouri where this is very popular sport. I havent heard of anyone eating suckers since I have moved to IN.

TBone3006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    Hey Fishersjohn48, have you got a recipie for the [poor mans crabcakes]? We used to pull the skin off and score them about evey 1/8 inch-then roll in seasoned cornmeal and deep fry in hot oil. All them small bones would fry up and dissapear. The crabcake method sounds awesome.

Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I'm going to my sucker hot spot where I fish from an old suspension bridge that is blocked off from traffic to look to see if they are running through there yet.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The most fun that you can have fishing is catching carp. No joke. They roll and do everything they can to try to toss the hook. :)

I knew a man (who passed about ten years ago) that would catch and rotate a carp for a bigger one, and when he was done he would take the carp home and said that he would rotate fresh water in a tank for about a week and a half. Then he would clean it.

Said that it removed a lot of the muskiness and made the mud vain a bit smaller. I dunno, I'm not much for eating a crap eater. o_0

back on topic, what is a sucker? A sockeye? Sauger? I'm confused.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    I believe they are from the family catostomidae. I have never heard them called anything other than suckers. And yes dodgehunter84 let me know if they are running! thanks

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It seems it is a carp. Good times.

Try soaking canned-corn overnight in some dr. pepper, and then wrapping it up in pantyhose to hold it together. Works VERY well at night for them around here :)

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    The most fun that you can have fishing is catching carp. No joke. They roll and do everything they can to try to toss the hook. :)

I knew a man (who passed about ten years ago) that would catch and rotate a carp for a bigger one, and when he was done he would take the carp home and said that he would rotate fresh water in a tank for about a week and a half. Then he would clean it.

Said that it removed a lot of the muskiness and made the mud vain a bit smaller. I dunno, I'm not much for eating a crap eater. o_0

back on topic, what is a sucker? A sockeye? Sauger? I'm confused.

Carp are actually pretty decent eating if you fix them right and there from clean water. Im a die hard carp fisheman and strictly catch and release. But on occasion Ill keep a small 5 or 6 pounder and clean it, cut it into cubes and put it in a meat smoker. Ive had numerous people say it tastes better than smoked salmon.

Anyways: (poor mans crabcakes) Made just like salmon patties but with sucker.

1 can (16 ounces) salmon ------Substitute 16 ounces ground sucker
    1 small onion, finely grated
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    ground black pepper, to taste
    2 large eggs, well beaten
    1 to 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs or cracker crumbs work better
    3 tablespoons butter

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I am going to try sucker fishing this years. I seen some last year when bow fishing for carp but never got one. Anyone around Plainfield do any spear fishing?

Top Bottom