• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you are looking for quiet in 22LR, I have used the Aguila Colibri 20gr rounds... they are kind of more like a pellet round if you ask me, but its VERY quiet if you need to pop a varmint and dont want to make a scene :ar15:
    There is a caution about using those rounds in a rifle. Supposedly there is a possibility that the rounds can get stuck in long .22 rifle barrels.

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    They make a Super Colibri for that. But caution should still be taken with longer barrels.
    I should have mentioned that... sorry. The Super Colibri rounds seem to work great in my Henry goldenboy... probably a couple thousand rounds over the years. Mostly paper targets for fun... and, oh... A squirrel or two may have gotten in the way.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Most of the "quiet" ammo has terrible accuracy, because it's running at a speed where the rounds are almost blooping.

At this level of foot-pounds-energy, shot placement is key. What you want is Eley Orange or Yellow-Box. 1070 fps, subsonic in all length barrels, and it will shoot as good as you can.

I used to think it was expensive, but have changed my thinking. My time hunting is too valuable to use cheapo ammo that can't group. I'm not doing high-volume prairie dog shooting, so I can justify ammo that goes right where it's supposed to.

Eley also has outstanding bullet lube, that keeps your barrel from leading up as good as anything I've ever seen.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My dad has used cci cb's for years. In fact he used them so much in his single shot 22lr that it built up hard carbon fouling, and when he fired a 22lr instead of the shorts he'd been using they would jam in the chamber.
    It took a brush, and a drill, and 5-10 minutes of running to clean the chamber up. I told him to start using the long cb's but he thinks they are louder yet the same velocity.

He uses them for chipmunks, and birds he doesn't want around.

So I can recommend cci cb's but suggest using the long cb's to avoid what dad got into. Or just clean it good every 200-300rds instead of letting it go for a decade between cleaning.

Now I'd like to know are long CB's louder than the short CB's which list the same velocity?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    My dad has used cci cb's for years. In fact he used them so much in his single shot 22lr that it built up hard carbon fouling, and when he fired a 22lr instead of the shorts he'd been using they would jam in the chamber.
    It took a brush, and a drill, and 5-10 minutes of running to clean the chamber up. I told him to start using the long cb's but he thinks they are louder yet the same velocity.

He uses them for chipmunks, and birds he doesn't want around.

So I can recommend cci cb's but suggest using the long cb's to avoid what dad got into. Or just clean it good every 200-300rds instead of letting it go for a decade between cleaning.

Now I'd like to know are long CB's louder than the short CB's which list the same velocity?
    They are both 29 grains listed at 710 fps, but in my experience the Longs seem to group better. I don't know if it's because the longer case moves the bullet closer to the rifling, or what. They don't group great, but do better in my experience than the shorts.

The next step up in the CCI line, the ".22LR QUIET," is still 710 fps, but now you're getting a full 40 grain bullet. These are far superior to any of the CBs in terms of accuracy and power, however with a bit more noise. They are still a full 300 fps slower than "standard velocity" 22 LR, and are still quieter than a spring airgun, for example, if fired from a rifle.

I'd tell your dad to shoot the CB Longs, if he can find them. Ballistically no different, but for me seem to be more accurate than CB shorts. If he groups the CB shorts, he may not be so enamored of them. In my experience, they group worse than a $109 Gamo airgun.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The CB Shorts blow a lot of gas out of many rifles because they don't seal very well. The CB Long seems a little better.

The biggest benefit to the CB long is that the darn thing is easier to handle and load.

Honestly, either of the CB rounds are 40-50 foot capable. I haven't put them on paper at much range, but what I have done has been pretty terrible accuracy and horrendous drop, even for .22 standards.

What @Twangbanger said a minute ago was correct: Eley Target or Club, or Subsonic HP.

Force is also pretty good. The CMP Eley Standard was awesome, for the price.

Eley EPS Match and Tenex do kill squirrels and paper quite well, but if you want to try an EPS round, start with Edge. It's cheaper, but also black casings, which make it...

TaCtiCaLLLLL!

(read the last word in your best internet commando voice)

Top Bottom