• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Has anyone had to strip spray paint off an AR and if so how did you do it. The one I am doing just has a slight haze on it, not thick at all, but it is on the upper receiver, stock and handguards. Its an OD Green color.

Thanks

pix1644243984.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Maybe try GooGone on the plastic with spray paint. Maybe have to put a little elbow grease into it but I think it might work. It might not work but I've been surprised with the things I've gotten off with it. It certainly wouldn't hurt the plastic.

Goo Gone Cleaners |

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would try kerosene...
    Remove all your plastic parts and try to find some kind of baking pan that the upper would fit down into... or a parts washer... something that you can use to submerse the whole upper in. Kerosene is excellent for cleaning stuff up without being too harsh and it might well soften the paint up. Let it soak for a day or 3 then use a tooth brush and see what happens. Option 2: Degrease and repaint with some high temp flat black engine paint.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Just my opinion, but I like the way it looks. Seems to me that the addition of a few splotches of brown and tan paint would make it look pretty good.

I like the well used look...

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I have used GoofOff with good results. It even removed paint from plexiglass garage door windows without harming them.

Dont forget the after pics....

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Just my opinion, but I like the way it looks. Seems to me that the addition of a few splotches of brown and tan paint would make it look pretty good.

I like the well used look...

I agree! Make it a "Sleeper".

What arms room did #4 walk out of?

If you still want to go through with it:
    Brake Cleaner in the metal, Goof Off on the stock, and pitch the hand guards.

Last edited:

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Pine-Sol or googone... Either one of those will guaranty you don't harm the metal. As far as the pine-sol method goes, it will work but it will take some time. Although it you want it off and you want it off now... 10-15 min in carb cleaner will do the trick... I would keep your plastic bits away from the stuff unless you want them to become a pile of sludge.

Top Bottom