• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Hey guys today I had the opportunity to get my hands on Street Sweeper, and was given the opportunity to purchase said firearm for $600. I have a copy of the gentleman's nfa paperwork, and was told that applying for the tax stamp would take a year. I's this required, I've heard a lot about trusts, and how much easier they are for silencers but wasn't sure how they were for firearms I'm doing some research on this at the moment but could use some education on the subject.

I'd also like to hear what you guys think about the Street Sweeper. I've heard a few bad things about them.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    I was also wondering if there was a minimum barrel length in the state of Indiana. I believe its 17.5 but wasn't sure if it was different for NFA.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Yes the streetsweeper is classified as a Destructive Device and requires registration and transfer through BATF NFA Branch. It will cost $200 for the transfer tax. Transfers are taking 6-9 months right now for individuals. If you decide to do a trust then it will take a lot longer. In Indiana there isn't a lot of advantage to a trust since you can get sign-offs all over the state. You can do the paperwork between yourselves as long as you're not crossing state lines. As a destructive device the barrel length doesn't matter. It can be 2-3/4" all the way up to 20 feet legally. Its not a short barreled shotgun since its a DD and barrel length restrictions do not apply. If you need help filling out the forms just ask. I can help or someone else here can.
    As the others noted its not a very good shotgun and the reason it was declared a destructive device has more to do with politics than reality. $600 is a good price though and it might be worth picking up if you can deal with the wait.

Hope that helps

Frank

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If he gets a trust couldn't they e-file and the wait be cut down to 3-4 months? That's the biggest advantage I saw when recently acquiring my trust.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I got mine through the local classifieds.
    The price was right and it works like a charm. I don't get all this "Transfer Stuff" you guys are talking about.
    One day at BMV and it was licensed in my name.

If you want a Short Barreled Shotgun with the stock attached in Indiana - Getting a "DD" is your answer.
    There's only a few types out there but they are available.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    If he gets a trust couldn't they e-file and the wait be cut down to 3-4 months? That's the biggest advantage I saw when recently acquiring my trust.

I'd be interested in what anyone has to say about this.

As for

The price was right and it works like a charm. I don't get all this "Transfer Stuff" you guys are talking about.

If you want a Short Barreled Shotgun with the stock attached in Indiana - Getting a "DD" is your answer.
    There's only a few types out there but they are available.

Lol good stuff. Unfortunately I don't believe it comes with the stock.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana

It appears the barrel length on your exhaust is too short. This is obviously an illegally modified unregistered street sweeper.

Here is a good video on the streetsweeper. It was done by the guys at forgottenweapons.com

[video=youtube_share;Uoy14h6K5TY]http://youtu.be/Uoy14h6K5TY[/video]

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It appears the barrel length on your exhaust is too short. This is obviously an illegally modified unregistered street sweeper.

Here is a good video on the streetsweeper. It was done by the guys at forgottenweapons.com ...

It appears that some weapons are best left forgotten.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    DD's aren't really the only short barreled shotguns you can have in Indiana.....just the only ones with stocks. You can buy AOW shotguns in Indiana like the Serbu Super Shorty. These guns have a pistol grip, a short barrel and frequently have a front fold down grip or a fixed forward grip. They all have to be registered and unlike the streetsweeper posted above, DMV can't help you with them.

Frank

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    DD's aren't really the only short barreled shotguns you can have in Indiana.....just the only ones with stocks. You can buy AOW shotguns in Indiana like the Serbu Super Shorty. These guns have a pistol grip, a short barrel and frequently have a front fold down grip or a fixed forward grip. They all have to be registered and unlike the streetsweeper posted above, DMV can't help you with them.

Frank
    And the transfer tax is only $5 on the AOW

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Does Indiana really make a distinction between shotgun barrel length depending on of the federal government classifies them as destructive devices?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Does Indiana really make a distinction between shotgun barrel length depending on of the federal government classifies them as destructive devices?

Once it's deemed a "DD" - it's no longer a "Shotgun".
    You can do what you want to the barrel. A DD can never be a SBS.

Same as a "Machine Gun".
    Cutting the barrel down doesn't reclassify it as a "SBR" - It's still a machine gun - just with a shorter barrel.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Once it's deemed a "DD" - it's no longer a "Shotgun".
    You can do what you want to the barrel. A DD can never be a SBS.

Same as a "Machine Gun".
    Cutting the barrel down doesn't reclassify it as a "SBR" - It's still a machine gun - just with a shorter barrel.

That's per federal law. Indiana law makes no reference to the NFA definitions as far as I can tell.

IC 35-47-1-10
    "Sawed-off shotgun"
    Sec. 10. "Sawed-off shotgun" means:
    (1) a shotgun having one (1) or more barrels less than eighteen
    (18) inches in length; and
    (2) any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration,
    modification, or otherwise) if the weapon as modified has an
    overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
    IC 35-47-1-11

"Shotgun"
    Sec. 11. "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made
    or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed
    or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive
    in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number
    of ball shot or a single projectile for each

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Indiana regs state that possession and ownership of NFA in compliance with Federal regulations is a positive defense for possession and ownership in Indiana. Because a DD is not a short barreled shotgun by definition it will not be covered by the regs you posted....they don't apply because it is already defined by fed reg as a DD.
    Frank

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Just out of curiosity I just graduated from college and may be relocating hopefully within the state will I have any issues with registering for my $200 tax stamp, then moving before its processed? As of now I'm living with my parents.

Last edited:

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Indiana regs state that possession and ownership of NFA in compliance with Federal regulations is a positive defense for possession and ownership in Indiana. Because a DD is not a short barreled shotgun by definition it will not be covered by the regs you posted....they don't apply because it is already defined by fed reg as a DD.
    Frank

If that is the case, could I manufacture a shotgun reciever on a form 1 as a DD?

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    If that is the case, could I manufacture a shotgun reciever on a form 1 as a DD?

Do a search for this. Others have looked at doing the same thing and found that it isn't reasonably do able. In addition you cannot register a receiver as a DD. It is just like a short barreled rifle or shotgun.....if you don't have a barrel on it than it isn't a DD, SBR or SBS. Unlike machineguns the receiver is not the registered part.....the assembly is. A short barreled rifle without a barrel is a receiver and therefore not subject to the NFA. A shotgun receiver is not a DD without a barrel and isn't subject to the NFA. This may sound like a nitpicking argument but many seem to think the receiver is registered for all NFA and this is not the case.
    As for the desire to have SBS's in Indiana the best solution is to get the legislature to do their job and fix the screwup in the regs that makes a sawed off shotgun something less ownable than a 90mm anti-tank gun. They had a bill in the works last year and with a bit of noise from us they should work it in again. We got the suppressor for huntiing bill through by letting our legislators know it was important. They even realized the stupidity of the switchblade regs and fixed that too. Give them a call, letter or email on the SBS issue and lets get this one done too.

Frank

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Just out of curiosity I just graduated from college and may be relocating hopefully within the state will I have any issues with registering for my $200 tax stamp, then moving before its processed? As of now I'm living with my parents.

Ill give this a bump.

Top Bottom