• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I was surfing through FB marketplace this morning and found something I can't live without for my truck, hey it happens. So I message the guy selling it and we agree on a price. I say hey I can pick up today if that works and his response, "I'm heading out of today for rest of the week, I'll leave it on the porch, here's my address, just leave money under the door mat"

Ok, maybe I'm just too old and cynical but who does that these days? Basically a stranger that you've only chatted with for 3 minutes over FB messenger and you tell 'em not only your address but the fact that you're not going to be home for days on end. I'm floored.

But then again, got a great price on the item so I'll definitely go pick it up and toss the money under the rug....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was going to tell someone to do that for some weight equipment but I happened to be home

some things you just want gone and if you get some $$ and faith in humanity for it, all the better

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I can envision the spoof thread already..."I just got some truck parts delivered to my house the other day and forgot to get them off the porch right away. The neighbor came over raising hell because it is making the neighborhood look trashy. Came home today and some SOB stole them. At least I found $20 when I kicked my doormat off the porch."

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    It happens a lot. I'm am in lots of local "for sale" groups on facebook and see people do this on a regular basis. I've bought things this way a few times. They were low $ items and I don't know if I would do it for more expensive stuff, nor would I sell something this way.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I can envision the spoof thread already..."I just got some truck parts delivered to my house the other day and forgot to get them off the porch right away. The neighbor came over raising hell because it is making the neighborhood look trashy. Came home today and some SOB stole them. At least I found $20 when I kicked my doormat off the porch."

This could have been a very entertaining thread. -2/10 for not taking the time to post it.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Well I made it there to pick up the parts and made it home safely. Obviously I was concerned for my safety during this event but as I pulled up the address there was maybe a 10-12 year old boy at the edge of the garage. Kind of looked like he was trying to build a wooden go-kart or something. If you think about it and flip the equation around the guy kind of put his kid/family at risk with this transaction, no not from me but could have been any other random facebook stalker I guess. Got my parts so I'm a happy camper!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I tend to trust truck guys, gun guys, etc., a bit more than, "Will you drive two hours with your $10 item, trade for weed and RC cars" guys.

That said, leaving an item on the porch and telling you he's out of town isn't 100% great on the security part but fb is so traceable he probably has a lot more of your info than you know. Plus, he might be going out of town but maybe his 6'3", 265lb, missing one eye, nicknamed Lucky girlfriend is home.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Definitely a lot more traceable that's for sure, I did a little looking on his profile before I drove there and he'd been on FB for like 7 years or so. Definitely didn't seem like it was just a burner profile or something crazy like that.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I tend to trust truck guys, gun guys, etc., a bit more than, "Will you drive two hours with your $10 item, trade for weed and RC cars" guys.
    I think I had that exact same guy try and buy the $10 desk I was selling on craigslist earlier this year. didn't ask for the weed trade but did want me to drive 90 minutes and drop the $10 item down to $8. I said thanks but no thanks I'll put it in the trash before I drive 90 minutes for 8 bucks.

Top Bottom