• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    Anybody use Straight Talk Hotspot service for their home high-speed internet needs? Care to share your experiences both good or bad?

We are reviewing our cable bill (xfinity) and currently have a basic kind of digital package and their high speed internet. Mostly our usage is some surfing the internet and watching some stuff on amazon prime or netflix. We aren't die-hard tv watchers so loosing the channels we have is no big deal.

The pricing and no contract are attractive to us to try to save money, but researching this through google or whatever mostly yields tons of complaints that are hard to wade through to determine if it is worth trying out or not.

Mostly we're trying to have fewer big monthly bills like cable and iphones, so we figured whittling down our home internet might be a good start.

Thoughts? Good alternatives?

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    Might have answered my own question after doing some more research. It looks like our average internet usage (from streaming so many shows/movies on netflix) far exceeds the plans offered through Straight Talk. Booooo...

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Ditch the Cable TV, and only keep the high speed internet. Economy plus is only like $30 a month, and works fine for netflix. We got rid of our satellite tv, around six months ago, and don't miss it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't know about the hotspot, but they have "unlimited" internet on their phone plans and it's really just 2.5 of 3g/4g speeds and then they throttle it down to Edge speeds(like 200 kbps o_0)

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    yeah i've pretty much talked myself out of the hotspot since we like to stream netflix for the kids' shows and some occasional movies. their phone packages might make sense to someone like me who uses their smartphone somewhat sparingly but once you hit that 2.5gb threshold the speeds would be a major kick in the shorts.

thanks for all your input it really has been helpful.

Top Bottom