• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    I am toying with the idea of building a bolt action AR in 6arc. I know there are dedicated bolt actions for the 6arc. My big question is, would the locking lugs stand up to the 62k pressures of this cartridge long term? In my head, without the rotational force of unlocking they would hold up long term. Input?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Doesn't make any sense to me to reinvent the wheel. If you're using a proven system, why the concern about the different cartridge? Is the 6ARC designed to fit in an AR15 action or more suited to the AR10?

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    Doesn't make any sense to me to reinvent the wheel. If you're using a proven system, why the concern about the different cartridge? Is the 6ARC designed to fit in an AR15 action or more suited to the AR10?
    The cartridge can be loaded to 55k in a gas gun. In a bolt action it can be loaded to 62k. It is for the ar15 platform.

Last edited:

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    A while back I did a 300 blk repeater project on a side charging BCA upper. I simply moved my gas block enough forward to block the port, removed the tube, buffer and spring.

So basically I had a gasless, springless, side charging straight pull 300 blk. Thing was super fun and slick to run the action on. I ran somewhere under a hundred rounds through it in that configuration with no issues. Personally I would leave the spring in just to safely ensure you don’t mislock the action.

Mechanically speaking, the AR locking system should equally be able to handle single shot use as it does semi use. The pressure spike has come and nearly entirely gone by the time the system unlocks. It has to otherwise it would have weird ejection issues like some delayed blowback guns (G3, FAMAS) get when they try and eject under high pressure.

In your case… you would still be limited to the gas gun pressure rating because that lower pressure is derived from the strength of the AR bolt head. ARs can run approx 60K on a .378 case head. But that number gets smaller as you use larger cases. Less material, less strength. I seem to remember a variant of the M855A1 being pushed over 60K and lug failures started to happen more often. I think Grendel guys run into that problem as well since brass pressure signs often occur higher than what the Grendel bolt is rated for.

You may already know about these but it’s relevant to the project

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "In your case… you would still be limited to the gas gun pressure rating because that lower pressure is derived from the strength of the AR bolt head. ARs can run approx 60K on a .378 case head. But that number gets smaller as you use larger cases. Less material, less strength."

Squid556 is correct. Pound per square inch times square inches of contact equals pounds of force, Hydraulic principles apply because except for a tiny amount of case to chamber wall friction, all the rest of the pressure is like a hydraulic piston pushing back.

Last edited:

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    A while back I did a 300 blk repeater project on a side charging BCA upper. I simply moved my gas block enough forward to block the port, removed the tube, buffer and spring.

So basically I had a gasless, springless, side charging straight pull 300 blk. Thing was super fun and slick to run the action on. I ran somewhere under a hundred rounds through it in that configuration with no issues. Personally I would leave the spring in just to safely ensure you don’t mislock the action.

Mechanically speaking, the AR locking system should equally be able to handle single shot use as it does semi use. The pressure spike has come and nearly entirely gone by the time the system unlocks. It has to otherwise it would have weird ejection issues like some delayed blowback guns (G3, FAMAS) get when they try and eject under high pressure.

In your case… you would still be limited to the gas gun pressure rating because that lower pressure is derived from the strength of the AR bolt head. ARs can run approx 60K on a .378 case head. But that number gets smaller as you use larger cases. Less material, less strength. I seem to remember a variant of the M855A1 being pushed over 60K and lug failures started to happen more often. I think Grendel guys run into that problem as well since brass pressure signs often occur higher than what the Grendel bolt is rated for.

You may already know about these but it’s relevant to the project
    Thank you, after I posted the question I nerded out on bolt thrust research and calculations and came to the same conclusion. It might hold for some time but I am not going to risk it. My face is too purdy. I like those uppers but wow are they proud of their stuff. I can buy a nice savage for 600 bucks.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I like those uppers but wow are they proud of their stuff. I can buy a nice savage for 600 bucks.
    I am confused? BCA is one of the cheapest AR uppers you can get into?

I will also state that the one I got from them was very nice. I got a 10.5" 7.62X39 upper for $205.00 with BCG.

With glass on top it will hit Lifesavers all day long at 50yd with cheap steel case crap.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    I am confused? BCA is one of the cheapest AR uppers you can get into?

I will also state that the one I got from them was very nice. I got a 10.5" 7.62X39 upper for $205.00 with BCG.

With glass on top it will hit Lifesavers all day long at 50yd with cheap steel case crap.
    I was referring to the Uintah Precision bolt action action uppers as being proud of their stuff.

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    Thank you, after I posted the question I nerded out on bolt thrust research and calculations and came to the same conclusion. It might hold for some time but I am not going to risk it. My face is too purdy. I like those uppers but wow are they proud of their stuff. I can buy a nice savage for 600 bucks.
    I think you have answered your own question. For a one-shot-at-a-time gun, a quality bolt action is hard to beat. Good luck & stay safe!

Top Bottom