• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I can live with your current pace. Just don't bail on it half way through!
    i have thought of trying to write a story but I'd have to finish it and rewrite it several times before posting any of it.

Matt

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I didn't bail on the other two, hit writers block on Next 5 minutes, not sure which way to take the story, Pinned Down was a short story, i didn't leave it hanging, I just didn't continue it yet.

I write, rewrite, correct, change flow and redo mine too.

I wrote this one to a point and then started posting it. But I am seriously thinking about publishing so I am not sure if I will complete anything.. lol I will make ya have to buy the book or download it.

I have two other stories and some other shorts already done but they need redone.

More soon..

TJ

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I didn't realize you had other stories going. I read one by pinshooter that kinda got left hanging and another by someone else that I thought just needed a few paragraphs to end it rather than just leave it hanging. I was even trying to figure a plausible ending but everything came up sounding hokey.

Now i have to go find your other stories.
    If I was to write something, I'd lean more towards a character like Steve's exes' new husband trying to survive a shtf scenario. Obviously it would just be a short story.

Matt

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

Steve was stricter then Tasha and felt that kids needed chores and responsibility to gauge their maturity. The more they could handle the more they were given or allowed to do. Trust has to be earned was a household motto. Steve always argued with Tasha about her spoiling her kids and the fact that they would become lazy and not self sufficient if she didn’t crack down on them a little more. Many times Tasha and Steve would argue about her picking up after the kids when clearly it was something they should do for themselves. All in all the kids were good kids, well liked by everyone, not into trouble, good grades, and for the most part, very respectful and well behaved. Steve felt sort of bad about not letting the boy take part in the conversations that was to take place but he felt that maybe he will get the point and not forget the animals.

Steve walked down the hallway to the corner where the big safe had left a big black scratch that showed through the paint on the poured concrete wall. Steve thought to himself every time he saw the black mark that he should have put the safe in the basement before building the first floor on top of it. As he touched the scar and rounded the corner he saw TJ taking his normal seat next to the gun bench where they had spent many hours talking, remembering, laughing and joking.

TJ stated that he might want to grab a few things from his cache just in case he couldn’t get up here in a time of need. Steve agreed and stated that after dark he and TJ could retrieve the items from the stash spot and load them in TJ’s Power Wagon.

Then a “lovely voice from above” as TJ called it came through the intercom. “You guys want me to bring you some more tea?” Tasha asked. Steve looked at TJ who nodded and replied, “Sure Baby and a couple sandwiches would be great.” To which she replied, “figures, you guys are always hungry.” After a few minutes she brought down the tea asked TJ if he was going to leave his noisey old rust bucket running. To which TJ explained, that old rust bucket ain’t hurting anything, she don’t mind running for days which TJ had allowed the transplanted Cummings Diesel to run before when the weather was extremely cold. “She ain’t burning that much fuel.” He professed. Just about the time Steve mentioned that he had just paid over $6 a gallon for diesel and TJ thought, out loud, “if I can plug her in I will shut it off, I might be here a while.” Tasha stopped and asked if TJ wanted Fred to take care of the wagon? TJ looked at Steve who nodded yes and then said for Fred to just pull the plug out of the reel in the bumper like he had been shown and plug it in the receptacle outside between the garage doors making sure to check the GFI reset and shut the key off.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Steve had powered up his company laptop and was hoping the internet was working so he could scan for reports of the trouble. Steve was not able to get any standard internet sites to come up, only a general warning page popped up stating there was a problem with the site he was trying to get to. But it was the same for any site. He flipped on the VPN to see if it would get a connection to the secure servers for work. After a few seconds of waiting the icon switched to green and he tried to reset and search as normal. After not finding much on the open internet working he was able to get to the news feed of the private company network webpage. There were a few news feed links that had been copied to corporate servers that allowed him to watching a couple of news reports that had been recorded from different web sites. After a few minutes an Instant message pop up.

A throat cleared at the doorway, Fred was standing at the doorway and explained “ok TJ your baby is plugged in and shut down. I left the keys in the ignition.” TJ replied “Thanks”.

Fred stood there for a few seconds as if to allow Steve to invite him in. Steve opened the message and without looking up at Fred simply said, thanks Fred, you can go play now. To which Fred scoffed off in disappointment. TJ looked over Steve’s shoulder to see that the message was from Mark, a friend of the both of them who also worked for Comair in a different division. He was a member of “the group.” Mark’s message read, “ WTF man, what do we do?” to which Steve typed, sit tight, gather intel, report back at 20 hundred via short wave standard channel. Looking at his watch Steve noticed it was going on 5PM. Steve walked over to the intercom and asked Tasha if she had to go out for those sandwiches, something she hated. Shortly after that she came in with a tray of tea explaining that the sandwiches would have to wait, she had finished off the cold jar of Mircle Whip and that she had to run to the store to get another jar. To this TJ outwardly laughed, yeah, The Jameson store. Everyone got a chuckle out of the comment. Tasha walked over, sat the tray on the bench between the guys and then broke Steve’s concentration to reach in and give him a kiss and tell him she loved him. She then asked if things were going to be alright? Steve said we are as prepared as we can be and that time will tell.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Tasha asked if they wanted the sandwiches or did they want to wait and sit with the rest of the family and eat a real dinner in about an hour. TJ replied “Both” and they all laughed. Steve looked up at Tasha and explained that he would wait for a real dinner. He loved the family dinners that they had, when they had them. Both of the kids were busy and with his work being erratic at times he missed the family time talking about everyone’s day while eating dinner.

As she went to walk out of the room TJ expressed his disappointment, “where’s mine?’ he asked. Tasha stopped, turned around, walked over and gave him a kiss on the cheek to which Steve laughed. She then muttered an “ouch” maybe you would get a girlfriend if you would shave that stubble more often. TJ like Steve didn’t keep a close shave during the winter months unless they had to be cleaned up for some event or get together. The stubble was surprisingly a better insulator then a clean shaven face. Giggling at both of them Steve received two more messages via company email.

Tasha walked across the hall to the door behind the front stairs and emerged a few seconds later with a fresh jar of Miracle Whip and then went up stairs.

Steve turned to TJ and stated, “they took NYC and are pushing all the way to Philly..” TJ looked at his watch and looked with surprise at Steve and stated, in less than 10 hours? These bastards took a lot of ground fast. Why the heck aren’t we pushing them back into the water? TJ proclaimed. “We have to have better forces then that fighting for us!” to which Steve replied, we aren’t taking the fight to them because of the civilian casualties it says, reading from a bulletin Steve had received from “an old friend” as he called him who had connections to Comair. TJ knew who Steve was referring to as this “old friend” had once been in charge of an operation or two that Steve an TJ’s recon platoon had been involved in during their time in the service.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Not to many of the people Steve and TJ associated with were considered close friends if they hadn’t served with them. Most were lucky to make it to an “acquaintance” level and very few were fully trusted. Civilians they let get close were “vetted” and thoroughly checked out and still were not allowed to know that much about them. Both had their issues with dealing with others they didn’t trust. Steve was methodical and calculating and thought about what he said or did very thoroughly before it was said or it was done. TJ on the other hand was a very outspoken, fast acting “hot head” as many knew him. As Steve said, TJ’s fine unless you let him have whiskey. Then TJ became hard for even Steve to rein in. Many times Steve was drug into situations by TJ’s actions and the two of them had fought their way out virtually unscathed.

Tasha’s voice boomed across the house wide Intercom stating “Dinner is on the table, if your not eating now your on your own.” TJ’s eyes lit up and he asked Steve “what’s for dinner” to which Steve replied, hell if I know, but I am starving, let’s go eat.

By the time Steve and TJ got up stairs the kids had finished washing up in the hallway bathroom right off the kitchen so they stopped to wash their hands and then sat at their normal spots at the big oak table. TJ always took Lee’s spot, she had always been TJ’s favorite niece but since she hadn’t been there for a while he chose to sit in her spot at the table that Steve and Tasha bought from a wonderful Amish man who hand crafted the table, leaves and chairs. As TJ slid the chair up to the table the kids and Tasha had already placed their hands together forming a circle around the table, except for TJ who then realized he was out of practice not having eaten with the Jameson’s for a few months. He stretched both ways to grab Lynn’s and Steve’s hands as Steve asked “who’s turn is it tonight?” to which Lynn spoke up, I think it’s mine. Fred giggled as Lynn’s “grace’s” were usually long winded to the point that he worried about food getting cold by the time Amen rolled out of their mouths.

Lynn cleared her throat and started, ”Dear Lord, thank you for this food that mommy made, thank you for the animals in the barns, especially little “Cotton” and “Booger” who are so small and cuddly, thanks having Uncle TJ coming to see us, thank you for our house with my own room that I love so much, thank you for all of the nice things that we have, thank you for my silly brother, please watch out for my big sissy and daddy,” at which time Tasha cleared her throat to signal Lynn not to forget anyone and cut it short she added “and thank you for Steve, he is great. Amen”

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

As everyone dug into the food and the plates and bowls of food got passed around the table and small talk was taking place it was like nothing was going wrong in the world. Then out of the corner of his eye Steve noticed that the TV went from no signal to snow for a second then came back to bars and tone everyone knows. Then a new program that was on. Tasha noticed Steve’s face go blank and turned her head to see the TV. She turned and glared at Steve stating “isn’t that supposed to be off during meal time?” to which he replied, not today baby, it’s important. A hush fell over the table as Tasha got up and un-muted the TV with the remote she had strategically placed behind her on the counter.

The news reporter was in downtown Philadelphia reporting on the “situation” which had progressed to the point that the military was pulling back to the Schuylkill River and mentioned that some land marks were destroyed. The reporter stated that it was nearly impossible to tell where our troops were even making a difference. He mentioned that if we didn’t get some air support for the few troops that had engaged the invaders that we were surely going to loose Philly just like Norfolk, NYC and DC.

Everyone sat there eating quietly and listened to the broad cast. You could hear explosions and gun fire and finally you could hear helicopters flying over the area where the reporter was at. Hardly anyone really ate that much after that. Lynn started to cry and ended up sitting on Tasha’s lap. Fred looked at Steve and asked what are we going to do? Steve looked at TJ and replied to the table, nothing more then we are now until something changes.

After everyone ate, Tasha explained that she and Lynn were going to go lay down and asked Fred to clean up the dinner table. Fred did carry his own weight for the most part but “forgot” some things sometimes.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Fred scraped the plates into the compost bucket and then rinsed the dishes off and put them in the dish washer. Once all of the leftovers had been condensed to smaller bowls and put away in the fridge he went looking for Steve and his Uncle TJ. He found them in the garage putting clothes on to go outside. He abruptly asked “can I go?” to which Steve replied “Get your clothes on, dress warm. Bring out the the milk bucket, lid and egg basket in the wash room. Check Nahnah and see if she needs milked some more, if she does take about half of what she has in her udder and bring it back in the house.. Also check and see if the chickens have laid any more eggs, if so, put them in the basket and bring them in as well. If we aren’t back by the time you get that all done then meet us out in the cellar. Understand? Steve asked. To which Fred said “Yes Sir.” “Oh, wait” Steve interupted, “leave your mom a note on the counter telling her we three are outside and that we will be back in a little while. Fred nodded as Steve and TJ walked out the door. TJ stopped by his truck and cranked it to life, detaching the drop cord and reeling it back into the nifty little door that he had built into the front bumper of the truck. Since there were times when Steve’s work truck or his Ram sat outside the garage the receptacles were heavier than normal between the doors. They were safer than standard duty receptacles so that the block heaters on both trucks wouldn’t overdraw the circuit and burn up.

The men walked out around the rabbit barn to where the “storm cellar” was. Everyone just called it the Cellar but it was explained that if friends saw the hump of dirt and the heavy metal door that whey were supposed to explain that it was a storm cellar for hiding out during a tornado or bad storm.

Steve reached in his pocket and pulled out a key ring and in the light of his head lamp flipped a couple keys around and then found the key for the heavy duty padlock that was holding a locking bar in place. The lock had been build into the bar such that you couldn’t get a set of bolt cutters in to cut the lock nor could you easily get a saw of any kind in there to cut the lock off.

Once the door bar was removed he put a different key into the heavy lock cylinder and cranked it all the way around once hearing a clank and stopping. As the door was being raised the counter weight dropped with a thud into the snow covered ground. Steve mentioned as he always did, “watch your head” as he stepped down and flipped on a light switch to illuminate the stairs leading down underground. Steve looked back and said close the door, that way we will hear Fred coming in if he gets everything done. A “Roger that” from TJ and pulled the door shut behind him and continued down the stair which seemingly went on for ever, much deeper then it seemed everyone always thought as they walked down into reinforced concrete “bunker” Steve called the storm cellar.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not read any of this yet. Will let it run on a bit and read all at once. Easier to get the flow of the story....at least in my warped little mind.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

As TJ walked through the first doorway at the bottom of the stairs he heard Steve flip on the power breakers for “the gear” as he called it. TJ never did understand all of the stuff Steve did but this made perfect sense being that they both had fought against tough adversaries who had hidden underground, in caves, etc. It’s hard to get a wolverine out of his den and you really don’t want to go knocking on the door and walking right in was the joke.

As Steve walked back through another room and off to the left TJ mentioned that they should have brought a thermos of tea. Steve simply laughed and reminded him that if he walked around the corner he could fire up a hot plate and brew some. Steve sat down at his bench in the communications room and started to mess with the different radio and electronic equipment. TJ said everything still where I left it? Steve replied, Really? As they both chuckled TJ walked past Steve then through a door way to the right were a room opened up to reveal a huge stock pile of pallets, storage cabinets, storage bins and all sorts of items kept there for safe keeping. Steve made a call on the main radio to anyone listening on “the groups” predetermined Short Wave frequency. Steve looked at his watch and opened his log book and as he began to make some notes a return call came back, it was Russ, the “quartermaster” of “the group.” He explained in a weird sort of code what he knew what had been happening out east and that he had heard reports of something starting in the west and north west. Steve replied, gave a report of he and TJ’s discussions and plans and signed off letting Russ know that he would be dark until the 20 hundred group conversation.

About the time the radio fell silent one of Steve’s personal laptops “dinged” and he looked over at it to find a message from Mark that had been sent before they messaged on the company network. Steve blurted out “Burns tried normal channels before the company net wanting to know what we are going to do.” TJ laughed back, “he is always wanting to be moving on something. Should have told him to tighten his sphincter.” Mark and Russ had been monitoring all of the short wave, radio, tv and satellite transmissions about the whole ordeal and both were quick to want to act.

Marks tone had been shaken, something that was rare for him as he was the math and science whiz of “the group” and was usually level headed. He seemed agitated, worried and anxious, seriously nervous in his message. The intel report in the groups simple code that Steve read aloud to TJ who was around the corner going through some of his gear made TJ perk up and listen. As Marks message ran down the list of cities and states already under the control of the invaders one question kept coming to mind, how, how did the all mighty United States of America allow it’s self to be invaded? Something that hadn’t ever happened in the history of our country. Who was it? What were they after? How come we hadn’t been able to stop them? All these unanswered questions were found disturbing to all of the men.

About the time Steve finished reading Burn’s message he heard Fred come through the outer door and scampered down the stairs and through the lower door. Once Fred found him Steve asked if he closed the outside door to which Fred nodded yes. Fred knew what was supposed to be done. He knew his place was of a silent observer and that he was not to interrupt or ask questions or for that matter speak unless spoken to and never, never touch anything without express directions. It was the way of the cellar, the way of the group.

Fred had been a city kid with no real experience in the wilderness or even on a farm for that matter when Steve started dating Tasha 3 years after she had divorced his father. He never really rebelled against either of them, he sort of let it roll off his back and mulled on through it all. By nature a quiet boy interested in girls and sports and video games he found comfort one day when he went shooting with Steve. A trip his mother was anxious about but all the same she trusted Steve with her only son. After the trip to the range the boy was hooked. He wanted to shoot all the time, every weapon he could get his hands on. His mom’s little .380 was ok, Steve’s EDC Ruger was cool, the little bolt action 22 Marlin that Steve had learned on became boring after his first 10 for 10 at 50 yards. The 12 gauge riot shot gun that Steve had him learn on was a blast to shoot even thought it left visible bruising on this shoulder. Marks that his father didn’t approve of and threw a tantrum about with Tasha threatening to seek full custody of the kids due to the dangerous man she had exposed their children to. The man actually tried to stop the boy from coming to his mothers once Steve and Tasha moved in together stating in court that Steve might hurt or kill his children. Steve sat quietly in the gallery of the court house listening to the boys idiot father go on and on about how he was a danger to the kids and that he would hurt them, abuse them and possibly kill them. The Judge really had little tolerance for the man and had plenty of experience with him before where he would blow up in court and basically embarrass himself.

Fred’s big goal had been to earn a rifle of his own. He worked all summer doing odd jobs and extra chores that paid into his “account” that his mother controlled. Mowed lawns in town, raked leaves, walked dogs, baby sat dogs, delivered flyers for the local add company, all to earn the $454.75 it took to buy his first rifle. A Colt, AR22. His pride and joy. Walking out of the store carrying the box so proudly he turned and looked at Steve and for the first time really showed true affection for the man who had provided for him, his mother and sister for the past 5 years. When Fred got around his father he became cold and distant from both Steve and more surprisingly his mother.

His father would insist on him kissing him to say good bye. Something that you could visibly see bothered Fred, Steve on the other hand just tried to keep the boy on the right path, teach him respect for all that deserve it and even for some who didn’t. Steve tried to teach the boy life skills that obviously his father had no clue about, for instance a good work ethic, work hard, earn your way, be rewarded with success. Success not always measured in monetary amounts. The boy had been a fast learner about being respectful of women after smarting off to his mother once in front of Steve. Steve took the boy by the nap of his neck and quietly whispered a serious threat to the boys well being if he ever disrespected his mother again. Not as long as I am around is all Steve commented as Tasha turned to see the confrontation. Tasha of course got deep into Steve’s butt defending her son’s lack of respect. It was a very sore subject for nearly a year. That was until Fred explained one day to his mother that he was glad Steve was around, that they should all be grateful for everything he did for them. She about cried the moment her little boy spoke like a young man. Fred had realized that had it not been for Steve and his influence in certain circles of people Steve knew he would have been in serious trouble for making a bad choice of tagging the school with some so called friends. Steve had been the only one free at the time of the incident to go and pick him up from the police department. Talked to the chief and the officers who picked up the kids. Steve took Fred to the school the same night and made him clean of the paint by the light of his headlights. The next day Steve took Fred to school and spoke to the principal and superintendant about the act and explained that Fred alone cleaned off the paint. Steve spoke for Fred and offered to pay for any professional cleaning that school might want to have done explaining that Fred would end up paying the money back through extra chores at home. The school let Fred off with a simple letter of reprimand in his permanent file and three Saturday detentions. The other problem children were suspended for a week. Steve also explained to Fred to take the blame for his actions without incriminating others. Since the police had picked up all of them at the same time, Fred did not have to rat out anyone else.

Top Bottom