Stolen valor. Annoying, but also amusing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I agree.
    Through the years from the time I was a kid I've bought usgi field jackets, cold weather parkas, pants, etc, simply because they're well made, reasonably priced and last for many years before wearing out.
    And if they get dirty or torn it's no big deal.

But I would NEVER wear one that has insignias, badges of rank, etc, as the closest I came to serving in the military was enlisting, being sworn in, and failing my final physical because of a bleeding ulcer the day I was ship out for boot camp.
    (Though I did get an Honorable Discharge for this, it seems totally absurd to me! )
    As a Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere, it is in my lane to make the call here. Wearing bargain-priced clothing, camouflage or OD green, with National Stock Numbers (NSNs) on the label, is NOT stolen valor. It is a good use of a scarce resource, money.

This also applies to surplus long underwear with NSNs on the labels, and B9 extreme cold wear caps (AKA, the Cousin Eddie hat from Christmas Vacation.)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As a Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere, it is in my lane to make the call here. Wearing bargain-priced clothing, camouflage or OD green, with National Stock Numbers (NSNs) on the label, is NOT stolen valor. It is a good use of a scarce resource, money.

This also applies to surplus long underwear with NSNs on the labels, and B9 extreme cold wear caps (AKA, the Cousin Eddie hat from Christmas Vacation.)
    I was hoping to get access to the PX as a DoD employee. :): But apparently it only entitles me to get mail from USAA Insurance (which, from what I hear, is awesome) and special offers from some mortgage company that is targeting our war fighters and veterans. Not that they're malicious, but I don't think I qualify just because I have a .mil email address.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My best friend was a guy who got popped for marijuana and they stuck him beneath the DMZ with a 25-06 and all the PBR they could drink. He never could get over the stress and internal conflicts.
    He dealt with it as best he could.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    photo-2cropped.jpg
    This is a picture of the world famous Sgt Soup Sandwich. This is taking stolen valor to the cosmic level.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Soup sammich indeed! Even mixing aviation medals across branches. I see army air assault AND Air Force master aircrew wings.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    View attachment 144389
    This is a picture of the world famous Sgt Soup Sandwich. This is taking stolen valor to the cosmic level.
    One comment must be wrong--the one about having both air force c and army badges being a violation. To have had time to accumulate that much uniform clutter he must have been in long before the Army Air Corps became the United States Aif Force.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    View attachment 144389
    Oh I remember MSgt Soup Sandwich. This POS got bashed mercilessly on a USAF related forum I frequented "back in the day". Full disclosure: he was not bashed as mercifully as E9 Balutsky (AKA Blutarsky, that was 24/7 bashing for three weeks straight, that was a thing of beauty. It actually got the attention of the USAF Chief of Staff. You could see people in time zones all over the world come on line and bash this E9. I mean you could see people bashing before work in Japan and Korea, come around to the people in the Middle East, then the folks in Europe, then the CONUS, then you'd see people off work in Japan and Korea back on line, then the west coast, Alaska and Hawaii. Back to Japan and the ROK...) from the 386 AEW back in 2011, but he was seriously bashed, I mean bashed mercilessly.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, I was a door gunner in the "Nam. We retrofitted a Navy deck gun to the side of our Huey, and really kicked ass, in the Nah Trang Valley. But it was all a super hush hush, Top- Secret Army-Navy joint operation...

deingy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Centerville
    I was a door gunner on the space shuttle!
    I almost went to Wheelus for Christmas 69.
    I almost went to Jordan summer of 70.
    I almost went to Iran in 70 but Yellow Fever shots about killed me so I passed.
    I was issued a .45 to carry for an assignment but no mag or any ammo.
    I had 2 ticket stubs for three yrs for a M-16 and helmet/gas mask/web belt/canteen that I never saw nor was sure where they were.
    I flew multiple times with the Berlin for Lunch Bunch but was not allowed to go there.
    I was trusted with secret info once but when I got to that AB even the taxi drivers knew.
    I was AF but also worked for the Navy, State Dept, and Canadian AF.
    I wasn't special anything but my wife liked me at the time.

Last edited:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I was a Naval Aviator in 1970 over Viet Nam. And I have no stories to tell. Zero. I didn't want to be there. I hated what I had to do. I really hated what the enemy did or tried to do. I can't see why anybody would want to tell stories.... real or false. The thought disgusts me. It's analogous to "one time I took a dump..." So what. Who cares......

There was no valor. Front-line or REMF, you had a shxxt job, in a shxxt place, just trying to survive. Ain't no glory in that.... I don't care who you are.

I'm no hero. I came home alive. The true heroes didn't.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    View attachment 144389
    Wouldn't you think..... if he had time to collect all that insignia..... he'd have time for a haircut???

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I served in the army 1969-1971 so I am considered to be a Viet Nam era vet. If the circumstance comes up I always correct people that think I am a Viet Nam vet. The army in it's infinite wisdom decided for reasons unknown to me decided I was needed in Korea. Jim.
    I enlisted in Jan69. Requested an infantry MOS (11B) & volunteered for Viet Nam ONE time. I spent a year in the States & 2 years driving an ammo truck in West Germany.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I was a Naval Aviator in 1970 over Viet Nam. And I have no stories to tell. Zero. I didn't want to be there. I hated what I had to do. I really hated what the enemy did or tried to do. I can't see why anybody would want to tell stories.... real or false. The thought disgusts me. It's analogous to "one time I took a dump..." So what. Who cares......

There was no valor. Front-line or REMF, you had a shxxt job, in a shxxt place, just trying to survive. Ain't no glory in that.... I don't care who you are.

I'm no hero. I came home alive. The true heroes didn't.
    My dad was a medic over there in mid 60's and he's the same way...won't really talk about it. As I grew up I did ask a few times and he's told me things about shooting out of a Huey to clear the way to get to the killed and wounded, but I had to pretty much drag it out of him. He actually served two tours over there so one of his brothers didn't have to go into the region. Weird sidenote...he can't stand the smell of wintergreen to this day due to that's what they packed the bodies in to ship back.

You may not want to hear it, but thanks for your service anyway.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I almost went to Wheelus for Christmas 69.
    I almost went to Jordan summer of 70.
    I almost went to Iran in 70 but Yellow Fever shots about killed me so I passed.
    I was issued a .45 to carry for an assignment but no mag or any ammo.
    I had 2 ticket stubs for three yrs for a M-16 and helmet/gas mask/web belt/canteen that I never saw nor was sure where they were.
    I flew multiple times with the Berlin for Lunch Bunch but was not allowed to go there.
    I was trusted with secret info once but when I got to that AB even the taxi drivers knew.
    I was AF but also worked for the Navy, State Dept, and Canadian AF.
    I wasn't special anything but my wife liked me at the time.
    Two of those I would absolutely believe.

Top Bottom