Stolen valor. Annoying, but also amusing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have a buddy who was/is in the reserves and/or guard service. I have no doubt he's been overseas several times, and may have even seen some action. But he obviously has serious problems with the truth. At first I believed the incredible (an amalgamation of all the modern war movies since 2000) stories. But at one point he went so far as to show me the video released of the rescue of Jessica Lynch and told me one of the guys was him. I didn't want to be rude and laugh at him, but it clearly wasn't him. After that incident, I had a hard time believing anything he told me.

The really sad part is, I think he actually believes it. I don't know if I'd call it stolen valor; he's been in the military since prior to 9/11. He's never tried to embellish his ranking, but he's definitely played himself up to be a Rambo-esque solider.
    We call guys like that "Lying Kings" as a variation on the title Lion King. They are out there. Probably 1-2% of those who serve. The more fantastic the story, the less likey it happened.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The obituary is often where you find out about some real warriors from back in the day. A few miles down the road from where I grew up lived a retired Army Colonel. His obituary had the rest of the story. He joined the Army in 1943, received a battlefield commission from General Patton after the Battle of the Bulge. He was a Ranger and one of his last assignments was as a Battalion Commander in Vietnam.
    On a related note, we discovered a surprise after my wifes grandfather died. When asked "I was just a lowly driver during the war." was his response.

However in speaking with one of his old friends from the VFW at the funeral, it turns out he had quite the career. Not only was he driving trucks through hot battles getting shot at, for a time he was Patton's driver! He apparently had quite the reputation of being able to handle pretty much anything with wheels. And was very talented at fixing them in the field when they would break down. He was approached one day and told. "General Patton needs a new driver. He would like you to do it. What do you think? Will you take the assignment? Think about it. I'll be back in 45 minutes for your answer."

Edit: I'll never forget the look on my FiL's face as he walked up to us after being told that story. He was visibly stunned. Because he had always told Martha and the rest of the family that he was way behind the lines and never anywhere particularly dangerous because he didnt want them to worry. He was one of the quiet ones you didnt know you needed to worry about.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a jacket at a thrift store once that had a stripe more than I had earned. I cut the patches off before I wore it.
    I agree.
    Through the years from the time I was a kid I've bought usgi field jackets, cold weather parkas, pants, etc, simply because they're well made, reasonably priced and last for many years before wearing out.
    And if they get dirty or torn it's no big deal.

But I would NEVER wear one that has insignias, badges of rank, etc, as the closest I came to serving in the military was enlisting, being sworn in, and failing my final physical because of a bleeding ulcer the day I was ship out for boot camp.
    (Though I did get an Honorable Discharge for this, it seems totally absurd to me! )

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I served in the army 1969-1971 so I am considered to be a Viet Nam era vet. If the circumstance comes up I always correct people that think I am a Viet Nam vet. The army in it's infinite wisdom decided for reasons unknown to me decided I was needed in Korea. Jim.
    My guess is that it was to make sure people named Kim didn't see an opportunity.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    OK, after reading comments about insignia, I will confess to a stolen valor moment. When I was in 6th grade I wore a milsurp uniform striped as a corporal for trick or treat.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On a related note, we discovered a surprise after my wifes grandfather died. When asked "I was just a lowly driver during the war." was his response.

However in speaking with one of his old friends from the VFW at the funeral, it turns out he had quite the career. Not only was he driving trucks through hot battles getting shot at, for a time he was Patton's driver! He apparently had quite the reputation of being able to handle pretty much anything with wheels. And was very talented at fixing them in the field when they would break down. He was approached one day and told. "General Patton needs a new driver. He would like you to do it. What do you think? Will you take the assignment? Think about it. I'll be back in 45 minutes for your answer."

Edit: I'll never forget the look on my FiL's face as he walked up to us after being told that story. He was visibly stunned. Because he had always told Martha and the rest of the family that he was way behind the lines and never anywhere particularly dangerous because he didnt want them to worry. He was one of the quiet ones you didnt know you needed to worry about.
    That was definitely what we saw from that generation. Didn't want to worry the family so they never told them.

It's always the quiet ones...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was a kid, I always used to ask Dad if he killed anyone in WWII. He was a Sea Bee, so probably not (and he said he didn't). But he brought home his machete and a huge honkin' knife that I still have. I did see some photos of dead Japanese soldiers though (from the Enewetak Atoll). He said the Marines would go in and kill all the enemy soldiers, then the Sea Bees would go in and build air strips. That's about as much as he ever said about it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    When I was a kid, I always used to ask Dad if he killed anyone in WWII. He was a Sea Bee, so probably not (and he said he didn't). But he brought home his machete and a huge honkin' knife that I still have. I did see some photos of dead Japanese soldiers though (from the Enewetak Atoll). He said the Marines would go in and kill all the enemy soldiers, then the Sea Bees would go in and build air strips. That's about as much as he ever said about it.

You posted a pic of your Pops with some mates on the back of a boat with a Tommy.... great pic!

Top Bottom