• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Yes, mine was stolen about 2 wks ago. I had Sprint kill it, with a note that pops up saying the phone is "LOST" please call xxxxx. Now I'm being told that unscrupulous figures have the ability to do something called "jailbreaking ". Supposedly the phone can be wiped clean & can be used as a normal phone. I don't understand how this is possible since I also registered it as stolen on the national data base . Can someone explain exactly how this might work to make this phone worth more than just parts.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    People sell stolen phones on FB sale pages all the time. They buyers are then stuck with a phone they can't activate and usually post about how they got ripped off.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    People sell stolen phones on FB sale pages all the time. They buyers are then stuck with a phone they can't activate and usually post about how they got ripped off.

THIS.

Jailbreaking only makes it so the user can get software from places OTHER than the itunes store. It has nothing to do with the IMEI number and whether or not it can be used again on the cell network after its stolen. Jailbreaking is done by hobbyists that want more control over their device than what apple allows.

IF (and thats a big if) Sprint truly kills these stolen phones like they should, its a brick as far as phones go. Apple has the ability to absolutely brick it beyond ANYONES use, but not sure if they do it other than when someone replaces the screen themselves*.

But I wouldnt put it past ANY of the carriers playing lip service to their customers in regards to stolen devices. They did it for years until Apple started locking phones to the prior itunes account. (if you dont know the prior itunes account password you cant wipe and re-use it) Who does it help if a phone is bricked? Certainly not the carriers. For years they ignored stolen phones because it was just another revenue stream. Think about it. One day they have 10 accounts (keeping the numbers simple). Then 5 of those phones are stolen and sold on the black market. Those 5 phones are replaced at $200 each by the original owner when they go in to sign a new contract and get a new phone. (because they cant afford to buy that $600 iphone outright they have to sign another contract and get the subsidy) Fast forward several weeks and everyone of those stolen phones have reached their new end user because the thief sold them for cash. Those 5 sign up to use the phones. NOW Sprint has 15 accounts total PLUS $1,000 in new phone fees. AND they have 5 more accounts than they had before generating new revenue streams. So as you see it is not really in their best interest to brick phones as it can reduce their subscriber revenue.

I would hope they would truly be bricked, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

*https://9to5mac.com/2016/02/05/error-53-iphone-6/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    THIS.

Jailbreaking only makes it so the user can get software from places OTHER than the itunes store. It has nothing to do with the IMEI number and whether or not it can be used again on the cell network after its stolen. Jailbreaking is done by hobbyists that want more control over their device than what apple allows.

IF (and thats a big if) Sprint truly kills these stolen phones like they should, its a brick as far as phones go. Apple has the ability to absolutely brick it beyond ANYONES use, but not sure if they do it other than when someone replaces the screen themselves*.

But I wouldnt put it past ANY of the carriers playing lip service to their customers in regards to stolen devices. They did it for years until Apple started locking phones to the prior itunes account. (if you dont know the prior itunes account password you cant wipe and re-use it) Who does it help if a phone is bricked? Certainly not the carriers. For years they ignored stolen phones because it was just another revenue stream. Think about it. One day they have 10 accounts (keeping the numbers simple). Then 5 of those phones are stolen and sold on the black market. Those 5 phones are replaced at $200 each by the original owner when they go in to sign a new contract and get a new phone. (because they cant afford to buy that $600 iphone outright they have to sign another contract and get the subsidy) Fast forward several weeks and everyone of those stolen phones have reached their new end user because the thief sold them for cash. Those 5 sign up to use the phones. NOW Sprint has 15 accounts total PLUS $1,000 in new phone fees. AND they have 5 more accounts than they had before generating new revenue streams. So as you see it is not really in their best interest to brick phones as it can reduce their subscriber revenue.

I would hope they would truly be bricked, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

*https://9to5mac.com/2016/02/05/error-53-iphone-6/

Just follow the money.

Top Bottom