• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    A handgun was stolen from our truck in the driveway last Thursday. We are South of Salem, talking to the Town Marshal he confirmed 4 people entered multiple vehicles and stole one on the next street. The stolen car was found in Georgetown the next day.

We were going back out so I left the gun in the truck console and locked the door. We ended up staying home that night. I must have pushed the wrong button on the remote because the doors were not locked.

IMG_2084.jpg IMG_2085.jpg
    Posting this after talking to our Marshal. Personally I feel stupid. We are very aware of the location of every firearm and careful that they are secured properly. One lapse of attention. Not concerned about the cost or the gun itself. I would be disturbed if it got used in a crime.

Don

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That is terrible.

over the summer I stopped at a very busy gas station (fair oaks farms) there was a convertible parked right by the main entrance. The guy had a Glock sitting on the driver seat… walked in…. Immediately knew which person owned the vehicle. He was in there before I got there and stayed in after I was all done. I was messing around in the car a few minutes sure enough guy comes out gets in drives away.

I can’t even wrap my head around it. Your situation… a gun in a “locked” vehicle I am sure MANY here do that but the convertible incident is negligence.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    A handgun was stolen from our truck in the driveway last Thursday. We are South of Salem, talking to the Town Marshal he confirmed 4 people entered multiple vehicles and stole one on the next street. The stolen car was found in Georgetown the next day.

We were going back out so I left the gun in the truck console and locked the door. We ended up staying home that night. I must have pushed the wrong button on the remote because the doors were not locked.

View attachment 304672 View attachment 304673
    Posting this after talking to our Marshal. Personally I feel stupid. We are very aware of the location of every firearm and careful that they are secured properly. One lapse of attention. Not concerned about the cost or the gun itself. I would be disturbed if it got used in a crime.

Don
    You had an accident, It will raise your awareness in the future. The idiot in the convertible is just that, an idiot who shouldn't' have a gun in my opinion.
    I keep a metal lock box in my truck for those very rare occasions I need to leave it behind. Moves easily over to the wife's vehicle if I'm in it. Thanks for posting about your incident, takes a lot to admit a mistake and is a reminder to all of us.

***Edited for correction***

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Don
    Not clear on whether your truck was stolen or jsut the handgun? Either way, I guess its a lesson to all of us that we probaably should not leave firearms in vehicles unless they are in a locked/secured "vault". It's very easy to think we locked the vehicle and find out later we hadn't especially with keyless entry!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Sorry is all I can say. Keep an eye on the local county Sherriff's office as they tend to get stolen guns back but don't take the time to find their owners. Harrison county had an add in the paper last year about anyone who lost a firearm from theft should submit a description because they had several just sitting around. Here is hoping they find it and return it.

Let the LGS owners know also. We aren't usually dealing with brain trusts here. The last time Harrison County Bank in Hardinsburg was robbed (before they closed the branch) it was a local who cashed their check at that same branch every week, didn't even bother to wear different clothes.

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Sorry you got it stolen. This is on the thief, not you. We should be able to leave something in our vehicle and not have it stolen.

I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not trying to add insult to injury to the OP but we take on a higher level of responsibility when we become gun owners and that involves making sure you have your guns secured at all times.

Sure, someone could break into your house and manage to get into your safe but at least you went to a reasonable measure to secure them. Leaving them in a car is almost like just leaving it laying out. It is too easy to steal.

Hopefully OP and others learn from this. Never, ever, ever leave your gun in your vehicle. Strap it on you. It's more useful that way anyway.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    There is nothing worse than a thief.

When I see an NRA decal on a vehicle, I have to wonder if there is a firearm inside.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is a good reminder to all of us. We are all human. Any change in routine, a last second change of plans, a sudden distraction, and any of us can forget. I hope you get your stolen property back and hope the thief gets punished for his crime(s).

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County

Don
    Maybe the thief will accidentally shoot himself with it.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Sorry you got it stolen. This is on the thief, not you. We should be able to leave something in our vehicle and not have it stolen.

Expat, the world does not work this way anymore and (no disrespect to you) it is foolish to think as such. You know this.
    Locks keep the honest people honest...nothing more.

Top Bottom