• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Yep it is getting closer for the hummingbirds to return. I surely have missed them. I only have around 5 -6 on a regular basis each year. I put out 3 feeders and they use all 3 and even seem to find time to fight over them. I have been stocking up on my sugar for them. I think I saw them last year around the end of April or the first of May.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I just put out my bird bath and bird feeder. I think we see HB's end of April, beginning of May. It's getting warmer sooner. The weeds know it. They're popping up together instead of in sequence. I got veggies in pots on my patio.No mosquitos yet.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I use the same recipe for the HB food. I dissolve the sugar in the water and heat it just to the boiling point to kill any bacteria in the water/sugar. The recipe says not to boil it but I have at times caught it after it hit that point and it seems to be okay. Let it cool and then fill feeders. I store any extra in the refrigerator and let warm up to room temp before filling the feeders.

I use the same food for my orioles and put the feeders out yesterday. The oriole feeders have bigger holes but both birds use them. Orioles usually come shortly before the hummingbirds so I'm just waiting now.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    They've been hitting the feeders for close to a week now. I have them in front of the house and some in the wooden fenced in back area. All of them are in the back protected area. I don't know why. Last year they pretty much hung out in the front of the house around the flowers.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    They are back now. I just saw 2 males fighting over the feeder. It is good to see them back. I put the feeder out early this week. I use I cup sugar to 4 cups boiled water. Let cool them pour in feeders. I hope I have more to come.

Top Bottom