• ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Mark Penrod, if he will do it.

But I recommend, if you want really nice shooting equipment, you lose the “only local”, “drive it there” idea, if you have it.

Not always possible. Not always a good idea.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    the current state of our country has resulted in shipping services being less than reliable and their accountability for losing stuff sucks! So I guess Iwould prefer to hand it to somebody myself.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I read all I could and watched some youtube videos.
    Not really that hard to do
    I did my Savage 10FP with great results. Between doing this and handloads its a tack driver, but it shot pretty good before.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I read all I could and watched some youtube videos.
    Not really that hard to do
    I did my Savage 10FP with great results. Between doing this and handloads its a tack driver, but it shot pretty good before.
    I’m coming to that conclusion. It looks like drilling the stock for the pillars could be tricky, requiring a forester bit?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm trying to remember if I pillared mine or just beded it. I know I opened up the barrel channel and I used JB Weld for the bedding material.
    I'm pretty sure I used Vaseline as the release agent. and electrical tape on the recoil lug.
    But this was all 10 years or more ago , and I'm not as young as I used to be

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ok thanks. I get your drift it’s hard to find good work around here.
    No, Mark is world renowned actually.

I’m just making that point to you. I’m a nationally competitive rifle shooter (or recently was, anyway), and I used stuff from Hawaii to Pennsylvania, Wisconsin to Florida. My smiths are in Florida, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Illinois. I’ve consulted others in Utah, Arizona, California, Montana, and probably more.

I do what it takes to get what I need. Sometimes that’s down the street, but sometimes I have to realize that “it” is just not available locally.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    No, Mark is world renowned actually.

I’m just making that point to you. I’m a nationally competitive rifle shooter (or recently was, anyway), and I used stuff from Hawaii to Pennsylvania, Wisconsin to Florida. My smiths are in Florida, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Illinois. I’ve consulted others in Utah, Arizona, California, Montana, and probably more.

I do what it takes to get what I need. Sometimes that’s down the street, but sometimes I have to realize that “it” is just not available locally.
    I gotta believe bedding a stock is not exotic gunsmithing.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I gotta believe bedding a stock is not exotic gunsmithing.
    I hope not, since I’m into the double digits on them myself.

But it is NOT amateur work, it CAN be done poorly, and probably is not a good place to start learning about epoxy and dremel tools...

...or forstner bits.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive done a couple. Perfect too. But used to have good eyes and hands and a healthy dose of OCD.
    Thankfully they came out right first try LOL

Got maybe two to do now, and proly pay to have it done.
    Just not worth the hassle any more, or risk of me screwing it up.
    Just normal hunting guns.

Id proly have Penrod do it.

Id be more apt to do one of em if Brownells had Microbed again LOL

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've done the pillar so far on my 10/22. Yes, I used Forstner bits and a drill press. Going to do some stock cutting, then add some additional wood to the snout and to the butt to increase the LOP slightly. Will shape the barrel channel for a tapered barrel from .920-.720.

Haven't decided if I will bed the stock. Any recommendations on the best materials to use for bedding?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Accuglas seems to be popular

I realize that you'd prefer to farm it out. Here is some info that might be helpful if you choose to do it yourself, or will better prepare you to discuss this with your intended gunsmith.

ACRAGLAS is good, although I use Devcon 230-10110 on all my 10/22 type rifles, when it comes to bedding.

Amazon Link

Pillars can be found on Ebay or fabricated. A boring mill or good drill press with the right tooling will make it fairly straight-forward. You'll need some release agent (shoe polish) and modeling clay as well.

It almost goes without saying, but you need a good understanding of what you're trying to accomplish and the points of contact on your particular action that are important to support/not support. Usually you want to float the barrel (or most of it anyway) and place a pillar(s) where the action screw(s) go, which helps to avoid compressing the stock material as you tighten up the action screws.

Bedding a CZ 557

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I put a "notify me" on Brownells for Acraglas. I trust it will perform well. I have heard great things about Devcon, but I don't want to spend that much money. I'm only bedding the rear of the action and a piece of the barrel on the 10/22.

Thanks for the suggestions! egl and hammerd!

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana

I realize that you'd prefer to farm it out. Here is some info that might be helpful if you choose to do it yourself, or will better prepare you to discuss this with your intended gunsmith.

ACRAGLAS is good, although I use Devcon 230-10110 on all my 10/22 type rifles, when it comes to bedding.

Amazon Link

Pillars can be found on Ebay or fabricated. A boring mill or good drill press with the right tooling will make it fairly straight-forward. You'll need some release agent (shoe polish) and modeling clay as well.

It almost goes without saying, but you need a good understanding of what you're trying to accomplish and the points of contact on your particular action that are important to support/not support. Usually you want to float the barrel (or most of it anyway) and place a pillar(s) where the action screw(s) go, which helps to avoid compressing the stock material as you tighten up the action screws.

Bedding a CZ 557
    Thanks. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and have done more complicated thing (engine rebuilds) but it’s stressful the first time you do anything. Plus I’m getting lazy and just want it done. But your advice is really appreciated. I was just planning on bedding action and floating the barrel.

Top Bottom