• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I just bought a house near Anderson and it has a well. There is a Culligan water softener that appears to be functional but even after manually cycling it, the water smells like sulfer and sinks etc. Have started to get a lovely orange color. I noticed that the previous owner filled the brine tank with some generic brand of softener salt. Anyone have any ideas about how I can get rid of the rotten egg smell?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Get the water tested. Could be a couple of causes, each with a different solution.

We have manganese in our water, along with the "usual" iron and other minerals. Gives off a similar "rotten egg" smell as sulfur. We run a greensand filter, and standard softener with "iron out" salt. Works well.

If the smell/color is worse in the hot water, then its time to de-funk your water heater.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Smell may also be caused by bacterial iron. It is not harmful and common in my area. Often associated with hard water with high iron content. Several ways to combat it. Couple of my houses we treat with bleach run thru the system.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I just bought my house in May and had the same problem. I spent a few hours one day flushing out the faucets and water heater really well. Then filled up the water softener and turned it on. My water improved instantly.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Thanks for all of the interesting ideas. Way more complicated than I was expecting. Guess I will start with dumping the water out of the water heater tank and see if that helps.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Is the smell mainly from the hot water? If so, pull the anode rod. Yes, it takes away from the life of the water heater, but it's the cheapest solution.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    When I purchased my current house a few years ago the water had a really bad sulfur smell, bad enough you could could run the water in the bath room and smell it down the hall. We ended up installing a GAC filter and filter housing listed below. I know it's not the best setup for a whole house filter but it certainly got rid of the sulfur smell. I don't know how often the filter should be changed so I just change mine every 3 months. The water that goes to the outside faucets doesn't go through the filter and every time use the outside water I can't help to think that the previous owners dealt with this smell for 25 years!

On a side note Aqua systems sells a filter/aeration system to deal with the sulfur odor but if I remember correctly it was around $1500.

Pentek GAC-BB Drinking Water Filter (9-3/4" x 4-1/2"): Undersink Water Filtration Systems: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

http://www.amazon.com/Pentek-150237...sim_328_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=16XGZWVB7BYZ2GZZ969E

As far as iron goes I have a Aqua Systems softener that I believe is 50,000 grain and use their iron out salt. This gets the iron low enough that it doesn't leave rings in the toilet bowls.

Btw I also have a RO system in the kitchen and I cannot taste a difference between bottled water and the water out of the RO. Where as drinking non RO water there is a slight after taste.

I do have another issue with my water but I won't hijack your thread. See here https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-another-stinky-water-thread.html#post6021040

Last edited:
    Top Bottom