Stevens 305 22WMR / Savage 93 misfire's...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I got this rifle about 6 months ago, and took it out with some CCI Maxi Mag's and some Hornady Critical Defense (all I could find in 22wmr)... and noticed a few misfires, but only a few out of say 200-300 rounds. Then recently, I got ahold of a brick of Hornady VMAX's, and was experiencing a FTF rate of almost 10%, so I was curious if this was my rifle / bolt, or maybe a bad batch of ammo. :dunno:

I took the bolt apart, cleaned it up really well, heated it up in the oven, then lightly oiled it with some good oil.. (Milcom 2500). I noticed the firing pin and ejectors are stamped and not machined, so I'm hoping my firing pin was just sticking a bit either from the oil used in the stamping process, or something else that may have contaminated the slot where the firing pin slides at.

That being said, Hornady told me they would check and test part of the brick I bought, and let me know what they find. And secretly I'm hoping they send me more ammo back then I sent in if there is an issue.

I'm about to go try another 100 rounds or so here in a few days, and see if I didn't clear up the issue, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any issues misfires with these rifles, and how you may have corrected it.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've Had The Occasional Misfire Out Of My 93. Once It Happened When The Girlfriend Lined Up A Ground Hog (She Cycled The Bolt Like A Champ And Got The Hog). Just Seems Like There Is No Rhyme Or Reason Behind It. I Did Have An Old Savage (1920?) 25-20 Rifle That would Misfire If You Didn't Bring The Bolt Completely To The Rear Before Going Forward With It. I Haven't Had A Chance To Try The 93 Since I Remembered It.

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The more I sit and think about it... I did pull the bolt out and hand polish it when I first got it, and I wonder if I might have gotten some compound in the little nooks and crannies around the firing pin. I was a little nervous to take the bolt apart the first few days I got it, so I'm wondering if that wasn't what my issue was. After a few 100 rounds, I'm thinking it may have just got gummed up a bit, and I'm hoping this last cleaning and LIGHT oiling will help.

Pic of my rifle in question.....

P1090443.jpg

Pic of what it can do at 100 yards with that VMAX ammo..

P1090696.jpg

I also have another random off topic question for you, as I am a fan of old Fords. I wonder what type of foxbody you have, and if I may have raced you before here on Clinton St. :) It wasn't too long ago I know I suprised a few the one night, as I could tell by the confusion on the guy's face as his car wasn't getting away from me.. :)

P1090082-1.jpg

Under the hood...

IMAG0388-1.jpg

And the view most Mustangs see.... ;)

yamahaa2.jpg

For those who don't know... Yamaha designed the head's and intake for these little gem's. But if you have a Mustang I might have a few parts you could have as they are of no use to me... I have a set of new Napa front brake lines I didn't need when I upgraded my Calipers to the 2008 Cobra's, and I've been trying to give them away for a year now it seems.. :)

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That's A Beautiful Rifle Compared To My Black Stocked...Thing! But It Sure Shoot! Mine Is 17 Tho. And To The Off Topic...Unfortunately That Was Not Me, As Mine Just Got Back On The Road Last Week! If You Ever Race A Safety Yellow Fox With No Hood Or Back Glass Then IThat WAs Me! PM Me With Your Number, I Can Always Use Fox Parts!

P.S. Nice SHO! And Are Those Van Wert Windmills In The Background??

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Actually the stock was off a 17 someone was selling on armslist... I had to do a little trimming and dremel work to get it to fit, but it wasn't too bad of a project. The barrell is floated now compared to the plastic stock that came on it.

As far as the car goes.... the two Mustangs I saw a few months ago, could have been 6 months ago by now were racing down Parnell onto Clinton, and the winner caught up to me at the light on Washington Ctr / Clinton. He had a black 91 I'd guess, but when I revved the motor, he kinda laughed, but after the light went green, he wasn't laughing anymore. Oddly enough the other car was yellow... but it was behind the black one, so I didn't get a real good look at it. At any rate, it's always a good run playing with Mustangs... I have to launch mine perfect as its a FWD, so it's somewhat hard to race from a dig.

And yes those are out off 30 out near Van Wert... I had to meet a guy who was trying to talk me into climbing those 280' things to commission the new windmills, but I didn't like the single rung ladders inside those things... it's just not for me.. lol

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    When I had my 93 it would pretty much miss fire or fail to fire on anything other than CCI ammo. It did not like Winchester at all and would still fail to fire on hornady also. I think it could be due to possibly a light strike from the firing pin.

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yea I noticed a little bit of grime in the slot there where the firing pin sits at, and I'm hoping that's all it was. But even the guy from Hornady said that CCI is who makes their ammo, but knowing how companies are.... whoever makes it, gets the A+ ammo... the lower grades get pushed off onto the other companies. For what it's worth, he said as far as .22LR was concerned, CCI is cranking out 3,000,000 rounds a day. But they seem to be willing to take it in, and replace it at least for me. I normally police my brass very well, but I tossed most of what I shot already from these as it's not a round you can reload. I just wish I lived somewhere I could step out back and shoot, I always need to drive 30-45 min to go somewhere and it's somewhat annoying. :(

Top Bottom